socket 939

I'm also still running a 939 board--Asrock 939a785GMH, 4400+ X2, 4850, 4GB of DDR500, 30GB SSD boot drive, and Windows XP x64.

With the SSD, it seems as fast as my main rig for internet and office stuff. I mainly use it for a couple of older games that don't like Windows 7.

I'm also still running a 939 board--Asrock 939a785GMH, 4400+ X2, 4850, 4GB of DDR500, 30GB SSD boot drive, and Windows XP x64.

With the SSD, it seems as fast as my main rig for internet and office stuff. I mainly use it for a couple of older games that don't like Windows 7.

Yeah I was running that board for my old work PC. Was a real find to be able to run a 939 chip with a more up to date chipset. The eSATA was a boon for work too. Managed to run my 4200+ at around 2.5Ghz okay.

Just a shame it was styled by a 5 year old. Not a board you would want to show off.

The point you make about the SSD is true. I reckon you could set up two identical looking PCs one has an old 939 dual core with a SSD and the other has a i5 with a HDD. Then ask a load of average Joes to use both machines for browsing and usual office stuff and I bet most would choose the 939 box with the SSD.

I swapped it all out for a Gigabyte AM3+ mATX with USB3, coupled with 8GB of 1600 ram and a Athlon II 455 OC'd to 3x4Ghz. Handles multitasking a lot better.

The point you make about the SSD is true. I reckon you could set up two identical looking PCs one has an old 939 dual core with a SSD and the other has a i5 with a HDD. Then ask a load of average Joes to use both machines for browsing and usual office stuff and I bet most would choose the 939 box with the SSD.

I'd say it'd be pretty close. I have an older AMD Turion X2 laptop at home with an Intel X-25M SSD in it (and 4GB of DDR2), and my work laptop is an IBM X201 with a Core i5 and 3GB of DDR3. I'd consider them pretty close for browing/Office/etc. The i5 laptop is still faster, I'd say - but the SSD narrows the gap considerably.

Back