Socket 939 vs Socket 754

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, here's my dilemma. Looking at my rig, it's time to upgrade. Most of you would probably agree. I wanted to buy around April. I had planned on getting an Athlon 64 s754 or Prescott s478. But now I hear of these "San Diego" core s939 Athlon 64s. I dunno if I should buy in April or not now, because the current s754 motherboards really aren't too impressive either. When are the s939's coming out? How much better will they be than the s754's?

What would you do if you were me? I will have around $1600-$2000 Canadian in April hanging around.

wait for 939, get a 3400+ dual channel memory and if nforce3 250 is out then get that a mobo with it, and you got a sweet comp, I went 754 cause I couldn't wait, wish i waited for 939 it will be worth it :)

well then, i now am flushing my idea of going a64 now down the crapper
ill do it when BTX comes out. with pci-e and 939. kill all the birds at once

ill seee whats game when btx is out

The only reason I didn't wait is that there seems to be virtually no difference between single and dual channel with the athlon 64's. Look at the non-existant performance difference between the athlon 64 3400+ and the FX 51. If any socket is going to be phazed out for consumer chips, it's going to be the socket 940. You'll still be able to get opterons for it, but if you look at the roadmap, they aren't going to release many more FX chips for it. Socket 754 looks to have a pretty long life, up to the 4000+ or higher, so that seems to be a pretty safe upgrade path (I just wouldn't go for the nforce 150, go with via or sis).

There actually is a decent increase using dual channel setup on the a64. Remember that the FX-51 is still slightly faster than the a64 3400+ by roughly 2-5%. The FX-51 only uses ECC registered memory at higher latencies. An a64 3400+ with Low latency, dual channel setup.......sex!!!

Originally posted by bobzdar
Look at the non-existant performance difference between the athlon 64 3400+ and the FX 51.

(I just wouldn't go for the nforce 150, go with via or sis).
Yeah, that's true. I might just upgrade instead of keeping on waiting. I'm getting tired of my 100mhz FSB and slow ass SDram. Dual channel is over rated. The only thing it does is give better synthetic benchmarks. Real life gaming advantages are minimal if any at all.

The only thing that hold me back is the whole factor that s939 with kt800pro and nforce 3 250 motherboards on 90nm process is going to be much better for overclocking then k8t800/nforce3 150 on 130nm process.

That's true, and the one thing I was going to do was go for an sis755 based board as it apparently locks agp/pci for good o/c love, and is as fast if not faster than the kt800. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I got too good a deal to pass up on a kt800 based board and chip. I may buy the ECS 755-A2 when it shows up at newegg and sell my current board if I decide I need to o/c more, but as I won't be using the onboard SATA I should be able to get to the limit of my ram (217mhz) with some decent cooling.

Originally posted by Morpheus256
well then, i now am flushing my idea of going a64 now down the crapper
ill do it when BTX comes out. with pci-e and 939. kill all the birds at once

ill seee whats game when btx is out

Only one more year to go...

I have the same dilemma, I am ready to upgrade now but it is not the best time. I am not going to wait until April for 939, but just for the 754 nforce 3 250 (end of February). Hopefully by then AMD will have dropped 64’s price a little to compete with Prescott.

i plan on getting an a64 also, but i plan on getting it in the beggining of summer. so hopefully the 939 will be out then, if it isnt ill just go the 754 route.

Originally posted by specter554
Hopefully by then AMD will have dropped 64’s price a little to compete with Prescott.

It depends on how well the Prescott performs. If Intel devalues the mHz again with the Prescott, AMD might adjust PR ratings up and keep the price the same. If Prescott does good, well then I guess AMD will be forced to cut prices.

well, looks like im set to get my mits on a 939 pin FX-53 to play with for a week! MINT! (and a mobo too of course!)

Back