socket 775 upgrade?

master noran

2[H]4U
Hey, I currently have a e7400 at 4.0, temps and voltages are fine. But I've always wanted to try a quad and figure it would slightly future proof my rig. I was thinking something like q9550. I was originally planning on getting and i5 setup when fermi hits but I figure why go with a whole new socket for a quad for gaming (meaning HT won't make a big difference) So get a 775 quad now? or get a i5 setup later on?

Just to add, this is for gaming. But I'm starting to hate the slowdowns my e7400 experiences.

Yup, budget is everything. But don't get a quad to "future proof" anything; in my experience there is no such thing. Upgrade because the new part gets you something you want now, not for the future.

Yup, budget is everything. But don't get a quad to "future proof" anything; in my experience there is no such thing. Upgrade because the new part gets you something you want now, not for the future.
yep

OP, at 1920x1200 I would say most of your slowdowns are gpu related. not that a 4890 is slow but that is a very gpu limited res and your cpu is quite sufficient. even GTA 4 probably woulndt dip below 30 much with an E7400 at 4ghz. really going to a Q9550 form your current cpu isnt likely to make a playabale difference in any game even if you get it to 4.0 too. now once you get a much faster gpu setup then yeah a quad would be the way to go but I think an i5/i7 would be a better route to go then.

Thanks for the replies. Just to clear things up I was thinking like this.

I was thinking of going with a LGA775 quad because the upgrade would be slightly cheaper even if I factor in the selling price of my current setup. Since I'm gaming I figured i'm starting to need a quad and especially need one to prevent bottleneck from my next GPU upgrade (fermi or whatever seems really good at the time) So I guess my question is really i5 or a LGA775 quad like the q9550. They both don't have HT which I won't really need (I just do average stuff on my pc, but I get some slowdowns that have been pissing my off recently)

edit: I don't really have a budget, but I prefer bang for the buck.

If that is the case. From my experience the Q9550 would be a good purchase for you. I still noticed a good boost in most games I still play when I switch from my E5200 to Q9550. That said I am sure the E7400 and even my trustly old E5200 would be enough for any upcoming releases or cards out at the moment. Yes with a higher end cpu performance should scale but it will not cause any bottlenecking problems. Keep in mind most people will recommend to switch to an i5 if that is the case with you're budget and I will too but when you counter in overclocking which from what I see you are perfectly fine with the Q9550 will still be kicking strong with a comparable i5 build.

What kind of slowdowns you experiencing? Right now with the E5200 the only slow downs I experience is when I try gaming and doing something like installing a game or unraring a big file. :p

If that is the case. From my experience the Q9550 would be a good purchase for you. I still noticed a good boost in most games I still play when I switch from my E5200 to Q9550. That said I am sure the E7400 and even my trustly old E5200 would be enough for any upcoming releases or cards out at the moment. Yes with a higher end cpu performance should scale but it will not cause any bottlenecking problems. Keep in mind most people will recommend to switch to an i5 if that is the case with you're budget and I will too but when you counter in overclocking which from what I see you are perfectly fine with the Q9550 will still be kicking strong with a comparable i5 build.

What kind of slowdowns you experiencing? Right now with the E5200 the only slow downs I experience is when I try gaming and doing something like installing a game or unraring a big file. :p

Yeah that's what i'm starting to hate. Any other opinions?

Back