• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Socket 775 to stay???

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Messages
413
Hi

I am thinking about switching my s936 3500+ for a Conroe E6600. However I sort of got burned last year when I bought my system.

About 2 months after I got my s936 AMD, announced the socket AM2 and that they were no longer going to support s936. This means that within a year I need to change the MB and RAM. I'd like to avoid that mistake again.

Does anyone know how long Intel plans to stay with 775? Is it wise to buy now or wait?

Also any reason to go for Quad core or is dual enough? This is mainly a home and gaming PC. I not going to run any complex apps on it.
 
mmarsh said:
About 2 months after I got my s936 AMD, announced the socket AM2 and that they were no longer going to support s936. This means that within a year I need to change the MB and RAM. I'd like to avoid that mistake again.
Is that an AMD thing? "We don't support this anymore, so you absolutely must go buy something else within a year!!"? Intel doesn't do that. They haven't made Socket 478 stuff in ages but my P4 3.0 Northwood S478 still runs just fine.

All jokes aside, as of Thursday December 14th at 06:57am Pacific Time, Intel has not publicly announced any kind of socket change. It's still early in the day though.

Sockets change frequently enough that worrying about it just means you'll never buy anything.
 
the bottom line is that Socket 775 supports the quad cpu, and so from an upgrading perspective, the 775 is going to be safe for a good 5 years.

8 gigs of RAM and a quad cpu 3 years down the road will keep you running just fine for quite some time.
 
OsageCowboy said:
the bottom line is that Socket 775 supports the quad cpu, and so from an upgrading perspective, the 775 is going to be safe for a good 5 years.

Intel is switching to IMCs and a new socket in 2008, fyi.
 
oh, i know. i'm just saying that the 775 offers great upgradeability options for the next several years going forward. you can go as low as an E6300 right now, and it's a great CPU, but in a couple of years you could go with a quad-core, and as the mobos usually recognize 8 gigs of RAM, you should be set for a fairly long haul.

not to mention that you could also run 8800gtx's in SLI mode. i realize better technology will always be on the horizon, but as far as upgradeability goes, Socket 775 is a safe play.
 
Thanks for the replies...

Looks like its good for at least a year, well at least I'm warned.

The problem now is that I was going to get a i680 motherboard, and after reading the last article on the website thats now shot to hell.
 
The data corruption problems people are having with i680. I need SLI, but I think I will let Nvidia soft out its hardware/driver problem first before investing in this. On top of it I really prefer DFi to EVGA or ASUS, I would like to see what they have to offer...
 
Back
Top