Socket 775 failure rate information.

IceWindus

n00b
Gents, I need some insider information if I could from you. I have a contact who knows someone that works for the New York times. He wants to print an article on Intels past 2 years of mistakes that have cost them the leadership role of CPU's in the industry among high end users. Not to mention, the apparant problems with socket 775 is what he really wants information on, among other things.

If you could pass along tech forum links withs peoples thoughts and feelings on the 775 socket, along with any regarding peoples failures or breakages with the sockets. Links to some very apparant data pointing towards Intels lack of performance in comparison to AMD's CPU's would also be greatly appreciated.

Basically, and dirt you guys can find on Intel, send to me and we can make Intel VERY aware of how upset with are with them lately.

This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds

:rolleyes:

either your an AMD fan boy wanting dirt to tell your friends why Intel sucks or your friend's friend (you sure it isnt your friend's brother's father-in-law's dog's groomer's financial advisor's friend?) is an AMD fan boy. Intel hasnt lost the 'leadership' role in the enthusiast market, nor has AMD gained it. It's enthusiast for one reason, people can build what they want with the parts that they want. If Intel lost the 'leadership' role, you'd be able to tell. First and foremost, their wouldnt be a Fatal1ty mobo by Abit for Intel, and nVidia wouldnt be bringing SLI to Intel platforms.

P.S. Not too many consumers want to read articles about the enthusiast, tell your friend this wont be a first-page story

and i'll say it again: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rayman2k2 said:
This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds

:rolleyes:

either your an AMD fan boy wanting dirt to tell your friends why Intel sucks or your friend's friend (you sure it isnt your friend's brother's father-in-law's dog's groomer's financial advisor's friend?) is an AMD fan boy. Intel hasnt lost the 'leadership' role in the enthusiast market, nor has AMD gained it. It's enthusiast for one reason, people can build what they want with the parts that they want. If Intel lost the 'leadership' role, you'd be able to tell. First and foremost, their wouldnt be a Fatal1ty mobo by Abit for Intel, and nVidia wouldnt be bringing SLI to Intel platforms.

P.S. Not too many consumers want to read articles about the enthusiast, tell your friend this wont be a first-page story

and i'll say it again: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think you missed the key words here “NEW YORK TIMES”. A paper known for writing bad about everything. What’s good for business and America is what the Times loves to hate, and write about.

BillR said:
I think you missed the key words here “NEW YORK TIMES”. A paper known for writing bad about everything. What’s good for business and America is what the Times loves to hate, and write about.

lol

/thread

Of the NYT readers.....what percent will give a rats @ss about the "enthusiast CPU market" a market that makes up probably less than 1% of all CPU's sold.

The NYT is a leftist anti-american rag....waste of paper.

That said if I were to read an article about Intel in a newspaper I would want to know things like "they continue to grow financially and had a good year.............no make that a good 10 years in a row". The same can not be said for AMD. AMD has had good year with the AMD64 rightly so....but prior to 2004 they had something like 8-12 quarters of solid LOSS.

Lindy01 said:
Of the NYT readers.....what percent will give a rats @ss about the "enthusiast CPU market" a market that makes up probably less than 1% of all CPU's sold.

The NYT is a leftist anti-american rag....waste of paper.

That said if I were to read an article about Intel in a newspaper I would want to know things like "they continue to grow financially and had a good year.............no make that a good 10 years in a row". The same can not be said for AMD. AMD has had good year with the AMD64 rightly so....but prior to 2004 they had something like 8-12 quarters of solid LOSS.

You've got a good point. Despite AMD being the choice of enthusiests and gamers, Intel still sells more CPU's and has more marketshare.

They've had record growth each year for years.

I don't see IceWind mentioning anything about enthusiasts in his post. I know many high-end users who aren't enthusiasts.

Here's the thing about LGA775, but wasn't known (or told immediately): yeah, it's only guaranteed for, what, 20 insertions, but so was Socket 478. Nobody was complaining. Additionally, even if there are enthusiasts, I don't think we all change out our CPU's 20+ times anyway. I can see review sites having that problem, but not the majority of people.

There was a comment on http://hardware.fr/ made by one of the editors which mentioned that the pins on S775 were tougher and harder to bend than the pins of the S478 P4 CPU.

The biggest problem with socket 478 was how shallow the pins were. The socket had nothing to grab onto. So when you'd pull of your heatsink and fan the chip would come out. That results in alot of broken and or bent pins. LGA775 eliminates that completely. The only down side is you have to take greater care in installing the CPU.

I personally like it. While it's easy to damage a board, the processor is alot tougher and amount of RMA's goes down for Intel. A board manufacturer doesn't need to take back a board for bent pins as that's a sign of user error or installation problems not related to warranty.

I for one would rather break a $260 P5AD2-E Premium than break a Pentium 4 3.46GHz EE CPU that costs $1000+.

It's a good design in my book.

I hate to rain on the parade but nearly every review I've read on LGA775 boards have stated that installation of the CPU was quite easy and secure as long as you exercised a little caution in installation.

The only real blackmark I'm aware of is the fact that the latest chips with a 1Ghz+ FSB aren't really any faster than their A64 counterparts. I know the link to the review was on the main page, but for the life of me I can't find it.

The_Mage18 said:
I hate to rain on the parade but nearly every review I've read on LGA775 boards have stated that installation of the CPU was quite easy and secure as long as you exercised a little caution in installation.

The only real blackmark I'm aware of is the fact that the latest chips with a 1Ghz+ FSB aren't really any faster than their A64 counterparts. I know the link to the review was on the main page, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Yeah, I'd say that's about right. I have an LGA775 system and I love it. I know the A64 is faster of course for games. But I like the ease of setup of my Intel rig and I don't have to *F* with VIA or Nforce chipset drivers.

Hey guys maybe we can pass him some false information or rumors so his friend can write this big article and end up getting embarrased and fired like those people that did that story on Pres Bush's National Guard records.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I have an LGA775 system and I love it. I know the A64 is faster of course for games. But I like the ease of setup of my Intel rig and I don't have to *F* with VIA or Nforce chipset drivers.

Amen to that!

1) Why does your 'friend' not ask himself,

2) if hes a journalist, hes pretty damn irresponsible for just taking the word of a bunch of random people on the internet in which a part of them are uninformed newbs using such a rigged one sided question..

PS: "Basically, and dirt you guys can find on Intel, send to me and we can make Intel VERY aware of how upset with are with them lately"

Ohh god ffs shut up. :rolleyes:

Do we really need anyone to start the next big rumor

If the NYT posts an article like this I can just see it now, every person who reads the article and doenst bother to verify the information will be on the boards bitching how bad intel sucks and how the 775 chips dont last.

I strongly urge no cooperation

Just built my first system from scratch (previously couple bare bones setups) and couldn't be happier with LGA775. You'd have to work pretty hard to f*ck it up or have GW's IQ.

LGA775 is a great design. When you really look at the big picture it's great. The only thing that sucks is we will probably need new boards for dual core CPU's. But we still get to keep LGA775.

Back