Socket 2011 VT-d -- 3820 or C2 3930k's

Tiporaro

[H]ard|Gawd
As the C2 steppings for the 3930 and 3960, as well as the 3820 have only been out a short time, there doesn't seem to be a whole bunch of information out there about actual vt-d support on the 2011 platform.

So, crossing my fingers that someone out there has first-hand experience, or could possibly test. Does the 3820 (or the C2 stepping 3930k) have a fully working vt-d that can be confirmed by an end-user, and if so, on what motherboard(s)? Ideally would like to hear that someone was able to use one of these chips to pass through any pci-e card to a vm, whether that be a SAS controller or a USB card.

Given the supply issues, and 3930k and 3820 should all be C2 and all work with VT-D. The real question is motherboard support. Since the feature was broken at launch I doubt it was high on people's priority lists.

There was a thread I started about VT-D in the virtualized computing subforum, you might try that. Other than that, your next best bet is a known good combination of a 2600 (NOT the unlocked k model) and 1156 motherboard. There are youtube videos where people talk about passing through their graphics card.

I'm guessing you meant 1155 for the 2600, and I agree motherboard support is the real catch. In the case of the 2600, there are to this day shockingly few P67/Z68 desktop boards that have vtd implemented properly, as it was a feature intel announced in the chipset and then pulled after launch.

The only reason I was asking about the 2011 CPUs themselves was simply because of the original C1 defect, and not hearing any reports at first of a working vt-d In the newer steppings-- whether that lack of info be b/c of a problem with the chip or the mb, or simply due to their "newness," I wasn't sure. Since my original post, however, Ive seen a few different cases pop up of it functioning, and even had the chance to try out an Asus 2011 mb and confirm it, so all's well.

Yes VT-d is fixed now. You need a motherboard that supports it.

By default the Rampage IV latest bios will enable VT-x/d. It is listed as enable virtualizaton tech or something that is a blanket term but it turns both on.

I ordered my 3930k last week, got it on monday, and it is a C2. VT-d is enabled in my bios. I have not actually tried to test it though. Its FAST though :)

Back