• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Socket 1156 Processor recommendation (Eyefinity Build)

chronox12

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
127
I'm wondering if a core i5 750 is a powerful enough processor for an eyefinity setup or should I invest in the core i7 860. I'm seeing the core i7 920 processors being overclocked and used in a lot of eyefinity reviews but the thing is I really can't seem to find a decent sub $200 motherboard for a 1366 socket processor for that to be an option. Thanks in advance for the feedback. (Keep in mind that if the i7 920 would honestly be the better option please state...Thanks)
 
Yeah...it's strictly a gaming computer I'm building. I plan on running three monitors on the rig with a Radeon HD 5870 but if AMD releases any newer GPU like an 5870 X2, 5870 2GB or a 5890, I'll be putting that into my rig. I just wanted to be sure that the core i5 750 wouldn't hinder the performance on three monitors. I plan of playing games at 1920 x 1200 (nothing less than 1920 x 1080) on each monitor. It'll most likely be a single GPU machine. Thanks for the feedback in advance.
 
i7 860 seems like a better choice considering value and performance with or without eye infinity tech.
 
The only real advantage the 860 has over the 750 (if you're an overclocker) is HT, which won't help you in games. You might as well buy the 750 and then invest in a good heatsink so you can overclock it. That will prevent you from being CPU-bottlenecked in any games.
 
I guess you're right. If push comes to shove I could always upgrade it. I've never done any overclocking but I guess I will in this case if I see the performance lagging. I guess now I need to do some research on core i5 overclocking and cooling ^_^
 
Agreed - the 860 is priced in no-man's land atm. At Microcenter it's $30 more than the 920, and online it's usually the same price as the 920. Even sadder if it's priced higher - lol. You buy Lynnfield to save money, that's it. If I wasn't such a cheap-ass, I'd buy the X58 b/c one year of maturation in the hardware segment is HUGE.

The Foxconn socket issue is one big concern right now anyway, and b/c it forces users to buy the $190+ mobos to virtually ensure a LOTES, it undermines the cost advantage of the i5/P55 platform at the moment.
 
Yes...I am trying to build an eyefinity setup on the cheap lol. I have $2000 to spending on everything. Well I have an Antec Skeleton case and speakers already so minus that from the equation. I need to do some reading on that socket problem. If I'll have to end up paying $180 for a motherboard I'll just switch to socket 1366 and buy the core i7 920.
 
Last edited:
Yes...I am trying to build an eyefinity setup on the cheap lol. I have $2000 to spending on everything. Well I have an Antec Skeleton case and speakers already so minus that from the equation. I need to do some reading on that socket problem. If I'll have to end up paying $180 for a motherboard I'll just switch to socket 1366 and buy the core i7 920.

With that kind of money you can afford to choose P55 chipset or X58 no problem.
For P55 chipset I'd go i7 860 for X58 I'd go i7 920. Seems like the best value for performance.
 
With that kind of money you can afford to choose P55 chipset or X58 no problem.
For P55 chipset I'd go i7 860 for X58 I'd go i7 920. Seems like the best value for performance.

So I thought until I started configuring the system and calculating. Approximately $1300 for everything here and I still need to get three monitors >_< lol. Budget build indeed. 'm currently considering purchasing three Dell 23"

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443

Game Controller
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103117
 
So I thought until I started configuring the system and calculating. Approximately $1300 for everything here and I still need to get three monitors >_< lol. Budget build indeed. 'm currently considering purchasing three Dell 23"

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443

Game Controller
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103117


Do you have a Fry's or Microcenter B&M near you? They have very nice deals that will hep you out for your CPU and MB pricing.


The new Corsair HX650 should be able to power your configured system and it cost less. Has modular power cabling. Nice new option for you.

Decent price at Tiger Direct with 5% bing cash back.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE
 
I don't live in the USA so I'm importing everything. I wish lived in America...so many great deals to take advantage of there ^_^ About the power supply...I wasn't too sure about exactly how powerful a power supply I'd need so I just set my goals at the 850 watt Corsair. Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I can buy a more affordable one.
 
Back
Top