SOC 1 - SSAE 16 Type II Audit - Active Directory Password Policies?

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
I received the following information about AD passwords for this audit.

Internal network domain (default domain) passwords must conform to the following requirements:

• Enforce password history (can’t reuse a
  • password from prior 24 passwords)
  • Maximum password age (42 days)
  • Minimum password age of 1 day
  • Minimum password length of 7 characters
  • Complexity requirement enabled
  • Store passwords using reversible encryption.

Does anyone know if this is accurate? I was under the impression that storing passwords using reversible encryption is actually less secure and should only be used if you have a specific application that requires it.

Perhaps that was a typo? i.e. irreversible? Sounds more aggressive than HIPAA (max age 60 days/history 6X). I cannot readily find a dictum for SOC 1, is it really a security standard?

Perhaps that was a typo? i.e. irreversible? Sounds more aggressive than HIPAA (max age 60 days/history 6X). I cannot readily find a dictum for SOC 1, is it really a security standard?

Funny, I was also comparing it to HIPAA because I thought it was a bit much. The document I have was provided by an independent auditor. So I don't really know if it is the standard or not.

Funny, I was also comparing it to HIPAA because I thought it was a bit much. The document I have was provided by an independent auditor. So I don't really know if it is the standard or not.

I believe that is the default for a new 2012 domain policy. Except the reversible encryption is disabled. I just built out 2 2012r2 domains and that was the default policy.

Back