• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Soap Box - SSD reviews

RedJamaX

n00b
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
62
So, I've been in the IT industry for about 15 years now, and I've noticed a few things I see in reviews that really bug me... just want to see if I'm alone on this or not...

1. Stop complaining if you happen to be part of the 10% failure rate!
- Everything that is manufactured at a high rate has a failure rate. For MOST tech stuff, it's about 10%. A little lower for high-end gear, and little higher for low-end gear. Anyway, if your SSD happens to be DOA, or fails in the first 6 months... SUCK IT UP YOU FREAKIN' PANSIE!! Untwist your panties, pull'em out and file that RMA request... but don't mislead other people by in indicating that the entire line of product is crap because YOU happen to get a bad drive....

2. Stop complaining if your dumb ass used an SSD as primary storage without a backup for your data. If you don't have some sort of External USB Magnetic-Storage HDD, then when you upgrade to the new SSD, spend an extra $10 and get an external drive enclosure for that "old" HDD. Don't toss it, re-purpose it as an external backup drive for your data. Even better if you have a router with USB NAS support, connect it to the router and have a backup location for everybody in your house. When an SSD fails... that's it, game over!! Your data is GONE! .... Forever! (usually)... Those "old" HDDs are slower sure, but they store data magnetically, which means if the chip fails, the data is still there and can still be recovered.

2a. (related subject matter) - STOP telling people to completely abandon HDDs altogether and only use SSDs. Unless you also recommend that they get into a regiment of using optical storage for backups on a regular routine.

3. Stop listing "cheap plastic case" as a complaint when giving a review on an SSD. Who friggin' cares if the SSD case is plastic!!?? What are you doing with your drives?? Are you going to frame it and put it on display so you need it to have a "brushed metal look"? Do you want it to double as a projectile weapon? Honestly, what's the concern here? Or do you just want to feel like you got something "extra", even though these complaints seem to show up on the budget-level drive reviews that were purchased on sale... a bit of irony for you there. And if it's stability you're looking for, the plastic case will absorb more of the impact from a fall as compared to a metal housing... really there's no benefit to the metal case... do you really need that "ego stroke"??

That's all.... maybe I've just got my panties in a bunch... but I think reviews with the elements listed above should be completely ignored. thoughts?
 
No...some fair points. At the end of the day though I just tend to worry about what I'm doing and everyone else is an idiot anyway.

My main annoyance in reviews is "The phone is quite heavy at 150 grams!"

What..are you some kind of enfeebled marmoset?

I remember when phones had 5% of the capability but weighed 200%+ more. It was no hardship back then either.

Go back 30 years and that 150 grams of capability would weigh 3 tons and need a truck.
 
As an adult I've learned I have the ability to ignore information I don't need. I don't care what reviewers write about, I take the info I'm looking to learn, and move on.
The more info a review provides the better, I Don't care if "I" Need it all or not... someone else might, maybe you should think of others....

You have your panties in a bunch, and want the world to revolve around you... it's ok, we'll hold your hand, and tell you it'll be ok because you have read SSD reviews that talk about plastic... and now you've decided that it was worthwhile to share with the world... LOL!!!
 
About #1.. I had a couple of new seagate drives that filed in a coupel of weeks, the drives looked brand new.. maybe like 20-30 hours.. When I got the replacements I got abused old drives.. degraded model numbers etc.. I had not even peeled off the plastic from the case.. The one I got had scratches and faded colors and although they had erased the number of hours used etc it seemed to be a few years old.

So yea I wont suck it and accept such things.. Although with seagate mine is over 20% failure rates.. with even the replacements failing soon after..
 
1. Wow, I am seriously doubting any of the manufacturers have anywhere near a 10% failure rate, intel is close to 1.5% I think I last read.

2. Backups, yep, fair point and should be done as many times redundant as you can or need. I myself have made some pretty good coin by recovering data for people, its not always possible with hdd or nearly impossible for ssd (save having a hot-air BGA rework lab and incredible luck), but even part of a project/document/archive can be useful and valuable for the client.

3. Plastic case is only an issue if they haven't done proper EMI (electromagnetic interference) testing or aren't properly EMI shielded from other components in your build. Videocards and fans tend to be pretty noisy on EMI and having a metal chassis can help solve any of those issues that might crop up.
 
Back
Top