So, Yonah is fast?

Poncho, Merom is not POR'd for 1066FSB at least according to the slides I'm seeing here in IDC.

From what I have seen on crestline, they are planning it. Though that's far out so it's speculative. But since conroe is doing 1333, I don't see 1066 being much of an issue on merom. I could be missing something though. I ended up in server land before I got to work much with Merom. :D

If memron is capable of running on the 945 chipset it would make justifying buying Yonah now alot easier :D

Merom engineering samples here is only 667Mhz FSB (compatible with Yonah). There will also be another Merom socket for 800Mhz FSB (crestline MCH). If they run it to 1066Mhz FSB, they won't be in the mobility TDP and will overlap with Conroe.

Flak Pyro said:
If memron is capable of running on the 945 chipset it would make justifying buying Yonah now alot easier :D

Presler -> Conroe is the upgrade path that makes more sense. The Presler chips are overclocking like the dickens, and destroying X2s in performance while the Yonah is more or less matching it. Plus, Conroe will likely be cheaper than Merom (desktop chip vs. laptop chip), and due to the higher wattage availible, perform better.

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
lol, I dunno man. But hey, there's been P4 notbooks in the past, so I think these will last a little longer :p.

Normal AMD follower stuff uh? :rolleyes: Centrino is what's being bought at a higher rate. It's selling faster than both the P4-M and the Torino, erum Turion. Not picking the best to compare is one of the oldest arguements to ever make. Centrino rules and AMD has nothing to knock it from its position. If it weren't for the Intel haters, nothing to do with picking the best, Turion would be a lame duck. Centrino is to Notebooks what X2 is to Desktops, well before the new Intel procs LOL! ;)

Donnie27

empoy said:
Merom engineering samples here is only 667Mhz FSB (compatible with Yonah). There will also be another Merom socket for 800Mhz FSB (crestline MCH). If they run it to 1066Mhz FSB, they won't be in the mobility TDP and will overlap with Conroe.

Have you seen any of the specs on Santa Rosa? That info is in there.... but could get taken out I'm sure. 1066 would be a ways off.....if at all.

Poncho said:
Have you seen any of the specs on Santa Rosa? That info is in there.... but could get taken out I'm sure. 1066 would be a ways off.....if at all.
That would be interesting though, if i965GM/PM (Crestline) supports 800/1066, that pretty much will make it near identical to the desktop motherboard counterparts that will launch with Conroe.

Regarding 1333FSB support for Conroe, it it EE only, or will the mainstream line get it too?

coldpower27 said:
that pretty much will make it near identical to the desktop motherboard counterparts that will launch with Conroe.

That's kinda the idea. :D It will get to the point where there is little if any difference between the average desktop and a laptop. Now... you'll always be able to get better performance on a desktop, there's just more room for upgrades, but really how many people go balls out on their PC? Really not that many, the market is mostly "budget PCs." Now.... if you can get a laptop that will run just as fast as the middle to top end desktops..... say goodbye to the desktop market. The future is all about portablity.... BTW, how's AMDs mobile line doing? :D Sorry... had to get that last line in there. It was too easy.

I have the Sta. Rosa platform target spec and the POR is only 800Mhz FSB using DDR2 SODIMM. I'm almost sure that Merom will not be sporting a 1066Mhz FSB because it does not have an IHS in its package. We also take into account that Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest dies are coming from the same wafer and are sorted out according to highest frequency each die can operate. Those slated for servers are the top bins followed by desktop and mobile parts. Low binned parts are salvaged as Celeron :D

Back