So yeah, Windows massively borked my MP3 folder.

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
I reinstalled Windows the other day. A few times. Because of a number of hardware problems that ended up being attributed to nVidia's poor programming of the 7x.xx drivers. However, when I finally ended up on this installation of Windows (third one, I believe) when the system booted up, Windows said there were consistency errors on my D: drive, which I use exclusively to house my mp3s. So I let it check and "fix" them.

Then, I load the folder up into my Winamp library...and hey, surprise. Turns out about 1/3rd of my mp3s, going from A to about F, have the ID3 tags removed. Other random folders aren't the mp3s Windows says they are; for instance, apparently Sufjan Stevens (folk singer) makes rap music now. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or am I basically screwed? We're talking a very significant number of mp3s here. And I don't want to re-rip 250 CDs, about the number that have been messed up by Windows.

note: I didn't do anything to aforementioned mp3 drive at any point, so I'm not sure what Windows is talking about when it says there were consistency errors.

Oh, and one more thing. The mp3s that still play in Winamp, when they play...they tend to not be the right song. It's a different song, and it tends to start at some random point in the other song; it will even go into the next track of the album of the different track, while still playing the same track in Winamp. WTF?

I feel bad for you. I would put the Multi-media stuff on an external HD sometime in the future. (makes me feel more comfortable) I got about 4000 mp3's 60gig on an external and if windows says shit...I ignore it. I want that OS leavin that drive alone as much as possible.

If you had done nothing to/with the drive it shouldnt have any errors. I woulda said "Fuck you" to the OS and skipped the error check....but thats just me.

Try using MusicBrainz to retag them. It can automatically find tags for many songs from its database. Also, The GodFather is a good tool for masstagging, and can search FreeDB for ID3 information.

MusicBrainz
The GodFather

I used K-MP3 to retag all my mp3s, thats 40+GB of music...long and painful work retagging.

so which is better?

Musicbrains, or the godfather?

i have around 300gigs of mp3's most are tagged, alot arent, which would be good to just let it goto work on my collection?

obviously there are some i dont want it touching, like live shows i stream and record off the net, that can be up to 3 hours long of a single mp3...i like my dj mixes

www.bassdrive.com
www.jungletrain.net
www.drumnbasstv.com

and sometimes they stream just the pl;aylist, which i let it record...so what woudl be good to let these programs just scan my collection, and then intuirn tag them accordingly..

thge only thing is im pretty certain these sites dont catalog the music i listen to...lots of Drum N Bass, and Jungle...

Musicbrainz is almost entirely automated, although it sometimes has some TRM collision issues with tracks whose signatures are questionable.

Restore from backup? DVD burners are cheap, especially considering how long its going to take you to re-rip all those CDs.

I would imagine that the consistancy of your drive got messed up, and chkdsk did the best job it could. (Note, My main drive in the signature box died last night, chkdsk ran and found all sorts of errors. :( so I feel your pain) I would seriously think about backing up all important data off the drive.

Back