So will there be a 2 core 69 series?

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
Just browsing the forums, the net and anywhere computers go looking for information to tell if ATI has any plans to release a 2 core 69 series board? A 69 series big brother to the 5970 2GB monster that currently reigns at the top of the GPU list :)

Because if they don't then it won't hurt to buy my 5970's now, because chances are even there highest end 69 series card won't outperform it. Only think that worries me, is I see the 5970 stocks being diminished and doesn't seem that they are reordering new stock, or if ATI manufacturers have halted production because of the new cards? So I am worried there may not be more 5970's in the next three months to add a second to my system. Not like it matters with that card anyway.

So any of you GPU guru's got any idea what the plans are for ATI higher end cards, especially a 2 core card.

Because if they don't then it won't hurt to buy my 5970's now, because chances are even there highest end 69 series card won't outperform it.

Heck with HD 6970 ! I wanna see OC HD6990 :eek: If they ever release one...

Last edited:
Heck with HD 6970 ! I wanna see OC HD6990 :eek: I they ever release one...

Yeah well I still haven't seen any rock hard evidence they are actually bringing out the 6990. And if they do, its gonna be $1000.00 board easy, considering the 5970 is $600.00. I guess we should here something by Nov. 20?

I would think that if ATI HD 6970 single core beats the 480 GTX, then ATI will probably leave it at that till the next structure change. To them its all about staying on top.

But I wouldn't mind seeing the specs and stats on the 6990?

Yes this time around they will release a dual cayman beast called the 6990. It will not be 6970 as that is a single chip card this time around. They changed the naming. So it'll be like this

6950 (Cayman Pro)
6970 (Cayman XT)
6990 (Antilles Dual Cayman Pro)

Oh and if its of any interest to you nvidia will be releasing a dual GPU card so far rumored to be called a 590 series card. I predict GTX 595 but anything is possible. There was a slip up and a developer actually mentioned a nvidia 590 series coming.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...2-being-re-designed-for-gtx580-expect-delays/

The 6990 is mildly interesting but commands nowhere near the same level of excitement compared to the single core cards coming up.

Not many of us are running setups that can take advantage of something this powerful or have the cash to shell out for one or are interesting in dealing with dual gpu(driver) issues.

It's like a Porsche, cool to look at but not something 99% of us would ever consider actually buying.

Bring on the 580 and 6970 already!

Yeah well I still haven't seen any rock hard evidence they are actually bringing out the 6990. And if they do, its gonna be $1000.00 board easy, considering the 5970 is $600.00. I guess we should here something by Nov. 20?

I would think that if ATI HD 6970 single core beats the 480 GTX, then ATI will probably leave it at that till the next structure change. To them its all about staying on top.

But I wouldn't mind seeing the specs and stats on the 6990?

nein, the 6990 is on hold depending on the demand for the 6970. if the demand is high then the 6990 will be delayed til the end of January or early February. if the demand is low on the 6970 then it will be released sooner. it really comes down to how many cherry picked gpu's they have access to for the 6990.

the thing with the 5970 is that it has been EOL for a while now so the price is going to hold at around 550-600 dollars. the 6990's probably going to release around the same price range which then the 5970 will start dropping in price.

Back