So Why Hasn't Anyone Used This Pump?

THE JEW (RaVeN)

Limp Gawd
After reading everyone's wc setup, I realized that there was a type of pump nobody seemed to be using--drill pumps.

Pic for reference:

http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/live/drl3.jpg

It's a garden hose pump that one hooks up to a cordless drill. The specs are often rather impressive (100 ft. head and 660 gph). Hook it up to a electric motor (quieter than a drill) and away you go............or do you?

Seriously, is there any reason it would be adverse to use this type of drill? They seem to be the centrifugal type.......I think. Is this the reason one can't use 'em? Or has no just tried it out?

Explain to me, please, why using this would be bad. Otherwise, I just found my pump.

if you can get a good reliable motor for it and can deal with whatever level of noise it makes, i dont see why not. but if it is powered by a drill, you will have to see at what torque/speeds it can reach those stats; i dont think you want a drill running 24/7 inside your case.

something i just thought of: these were most likely not designed for long periods of use as you would have them, so look into that too.

lessee... noise could be a problem, i bet it only gets those specs with one hell of a drill (reintroducing the noise problem) reliability, getting it to work in a loop (although i literally use garden hose in my loop - w00t for 5/8" ID!) mounting the motor to it in such a fashion that it couldn't come loose on its own, cooling it.

figure those out, and i say go for it! could be really cool (and cheap too) let us know how it goes!

HeThatKnows said:
They can't handle continuous duty, life span would be very short.

And rough ideas on life cycle? I really don't care how rough or what ballpark number ya throw out--I'm just grasping at straws here. Noise, motor (it won't be a drill), and mounting I've pretty much figured out.

Their really big problem is leaking. It's made for draining a pool or a flooded basement, applications where is okay to be messy. With in a week, expect it to leak where the shaft goes in.

And if you don't mid that, the flexible impeller demands regular oiling. Yep, you're supposed to squirt some motor oil into the pump before each use.

Back