So who got a host spot for the Win 7 launch party?

I got an email a day or two ago saying it was shipping and I would receive and email with tracking info but nothing so far

OH yea baby. Got my tracking # today, gonna be here on the 9th.

everyone is a host... so whos going to be the party goers?

Package tomorrow! Too bad I have dinner at the GF's parents house, I guess my upgrade from RC7100 will have to wait.

everyone is a host

Wrong!

I'm not a host. I wouldn't consider having a 'Windows Launch Party' in a pink fit, and if I did everybody I know would laugh at me for suggesting that they attend.

Far too geeky/nerdy/utterly ridiculous for MY liking, I'm afraid!

Anyways, I'm already running Windows 7 Final, so what'd be the point?

(I won't be attending any launch parties either. There are far, far better things to do, like drinking, going to the footy, going to see a movie....

Hell, even attending a 3 year old's birthday party would be a better idea!)

Wrong!

I'm not a host. I wouldn't consider having a 'Windows Launch Party' in a pink fit, and if I did everybody I know would laugh at me for suggesting that they attend.

Far too geeky/nerdy/utterly ridiculous for MY liking, I'm afraid!

Anyways, I'm already running Windows 7 Final, so what'd be the point?

(I won't be attending any launch parties either. There are far, far better things to do, like drinking, going to the footy, going to see a movie....

Hell, even attending a 3 year old's birthday party would be a better idea!)

I doubt many are really going to host the party. Install OS - throw out box.:rolleyes: I get pretty aggravated at things like that. When I sign up legitimately for stuff and don't get an offer, and then read about the hordes who faked it to get in, and ran away with the swag.

I doubt many are really going to host the party. Install OS - throw out box.:rolleyes:

I'm actually hosting a party....a few friends over, bbq, drink some, tell them about windows 7 with a little demo of what's new, play some cards...give out freebies....drink some more :D

I'm actually hosting a party....a few friends over, bbq, drink some, tell them about windows 7 with a little demo of what's new, play some cards...give out freebies....drink some more :D
Exactly what I'm doing. Nothing too fancy. Just like a typical night for me, and showing off windows 7! I think it's going to be fun... if i drink more.

Mine shipped as well.

I just read something about the key used for the Win7 that we are getting is a one time activation key, meaning 1 install, 1 activation, you won't be able to reinstall and activate it again. I am not sure if this is a rumor or misinterpreted info.

anyone heard or read about this activation limit.

Some people fail at reading!

The letter included states that it's for a 'single install', as has been reported elsewhere.

That simply means that it's a single machine license, rather than a volume license which can be installed on more than one machine. It says nothing whatsoever about 'activation' restrictions!

I didn't realize that you could just sign up and receive the free goodies without actually hosting a party...I thought that MS stated that you needed some sort of webcam that had to be installed to verify your party

I didn't realize that you could just sign up and receive the free goodies without actually hosting a party...I thought that MS stated that you needed some sort of webcam that had to be installed to verify your party

uhh no. Who is going to watch 5k webcam feeds to make sure you have a party? And then if you dont.....send the MS Party Van out to your house to collect your W7?

Got mine and once I get back to work after my vacation we will be having a W7 bash at work on the 22nd.

If someone is not going to actually have their party...I'd really like the party decorations, napkins, playing cards, give away literature, and the bags...as of now I have about 15 confirmed guests and still more left to RSVP. I would like everyone to be able to go home with something. I will pay for shipping. Please PM me....

so is the signature version like a OEM or a Retain in real world use. I want to buy the signature version, but I dont want to be restricted to a point system of hardware upgrades or a single motherboard. Somebody lay down what the deal is here. thanks!

There is no need to buy the signature version, if you want Ultimate get Ultimate. The signature version is merely a different case that it comes in.

so is the signature version like a OEM or a Retain in real world use.

Signature version is a special promotional release with its own set of legsality restrictions. You can reuse it legitimately on subsequent machines. You can't legitimatelly resell it. (Copies being flogged off on eBay or forum swap meet sections are illegal sales!)

In the 'real world' you speak of, despite what you might hear from others, both standalone OEM (System Builder) and Retail Windows use the same activation server and procedures, and both are subject to the same 'point system' restrictions on activation. That 'point system' hardware hash impacts ONLY on the capacity to auto-activate. If it fails you can still use the telephone service and get it manually activated. After a set period of time has elapsed the activation counters get reset and you're back to square one and able to auto-activate again.

The additional OEM restrictions are legality restrictions rather than practical restrictions. No mechanism to enforce them exists. It's up to your own honesty to adhere to the license.

thanks, and I guess I only wanted the signature version cus it can be had cheaper. Yea, I know, its cheating somewhat. But someone has to use it if they dont need it.

Back