• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So, while I'm waiting for the RD600...

3Tripnip

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,035
Hey!

I am putting together a new Conroe-based computer, and I had a question about the X1000 series of cards. I will be running one of the RD600 motherboards when they come out, at least that's my plan. I've read as much as I could find, and I found this article:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2987

It says that any X1000-series card can be used as a physics card. I want to run an X1950XT when they come out, but with the lower prices of the X1900 series, I was thinking about buying a card and using it for phyics later. I'm thinking of getting the X1800XL as it seems to be the fastest single-slot cooling card out there right now. Has anyone heard or found any confirmation that this will or will not work? Any feedback or links would be awesome. Thanks for the help!
 
As far as I know, any PCI-E slotted video card upwards of the X1600 will work. It isn't slaved to your crossfire GPU setup, so I can't imagine the model PPU card would have any bearing on compatability, only performance.

So if I read that article correctly, then yes it will work. I don't see why you would buy the X1900 right now though, I can't imagine the prices will be going anywhere but down with DX10 approaching and the next-gen cards somewhere in the relatively near future. Also, I'd wait to see how the dedicated physics processing will help your performance / gameplay experience before dropping 2-300 bucks on a card you might not even need / want.
 
Its a little vague what is going to happen, they have said that x1600 and up can be used in one article i read. But another article i read said one of the main reasons we arent seeing gpu based physics is that DX10 (due to the small batch problem) is really needed for it to work well.
 
You could get one of the cards and it would be able to accelerate some physics operations but a DX10 card would likely have a lot more capability of doing the job correctly/completely. Current cards work in a fairly linear and predictable pattern. DX10 cards could likely have a much more arbitrary data flow, create things on the fly as needed etc.
 
Back
Top