So, Where are We At?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I figured I would wait here this week and see if anyone is willing to pick up an move forward with our Folding team getting organized. Do I need to be the one that does this? I was hoping for a movement from withing the [H]orde....

Good question.... I'm curious as well...
I'm mostly a lurker in the DC forum , but I'm curious as to where we are headed.

I believe that the general consensus has been that we really want to have 2 projects with F@H and WCG as the two supported. I realize that the poll shows a majority (52%) want F@H only but there is a close second with F@H and WCG (37%) and I feel that the actual #s of people are close enough to warrant [H] standing behind the people that have voiced this opinion.

As far as leadership goes I have said before that I will step up and try to help us continue on into the future. I realize that we lost some of our more vocal members sadly (although they are still welcome here to me anyway) but I think we have a good group of new folks who can continue making this THE place for all things DC.

I would like to hear from King on whether or not he can get WCG stats etc working on hardfolding (or how that works I honestly dont know what the stats system is for WCG)

What I want more than anything is to move onward and upward, leave the mess and the squabbles at the door and continue to fold [H]ard!

The vote does not show that.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1187000

Here is my stance. OFFICIALLY only Folding will be supported by HardOCP CURRENTLY. When the [H]orde gets organized, I will look at this again. Remember that what HardOCP wants to officially support, and what the [H]orde wants to do as a team can be different things!!! Official support from HardOCP simply means what projects we are going to help recruit with.

I think we are now at getting official team leaders in place. Is this agreed upon?

I think the squabblers are gone. :) It is up to the team now.

So do we put together a list and hold elections now??????????????

Here's my view on the current situation :

About the 2nd project thing, we believed it's better if we setup a new WCG team then gauge the amount of ppl who joined it. If the amount is sufficient, we then can call it official since the poll is pretty useless without the "I don't care" option, which will weed out those who have no preference but who got the urge to vote anyway ;) The actual amount of ppl who join the [H]ard|OCP WCG team is a good indicator... Another reason is that WCG is very similar to UD and from what I heard, King_N is working to add it on the site.

Currently, there are 3 teams with similar names and we merged it to 1 with the most points. Remain to wait 30 days after a request to WCG before we can change the inactive leaders of the teams to a active one, then rename it properly. The details can be found in http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1188796 if you want to see the whole process.

About the leadership, I'm personnally having a mixed feeling about this, partly due to the good points BillR brought both in the leader nomination thread and with private messages. The team has evolved thru the years even without any good leadership because we're all adults and we are able to decide by ourselves what is good or not. Another problem is a possible edrama associated with a future leader selection as it's very hard to make a good consensus without hurting the ego of some ppl. What I view as a better idea is to make a few ppl as a [H] MVP member with the duty to greet new members, help them setup the client/machines and coordinate team activities. We already tried to do a bit by making a [H]DC of the month nomination topic.

I hope I covered everything happening around here since the last time you came.

That said, there is some need for there to be someone make sure things are not getting out of control and to help coordinate approval of contests. The problem is that the most active, vocal people are sometimes the most unruly.

Sorry about not having a solution at the moment.

My entire point was that 138 people voted and only 75 wanted F@H leaving it 63 who wanted 2 projects. That is awful close to 50/50. That was my point and only my point.

Now to Kyle's assertion I agree that the Poll states that more than 50% want F@H only and I will stand behind the teams decision to make that the only "supported" project. I just didn't want others to feel that they weren't included because they chose to do something else. We had that once and I didnt want to see it drive any more seperation into the team than the past month already has. I run F@H exclusively so this is a non issue to me. Personally I just want what is best for the team and it's well being.

Kyle,

I believe that you will need to start the leader nominations etc. The biggest problem I have seen lately is unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you view it) a lot of our very vocal people have left so we have a lot of people that fold for the the [H]orde that just don't post (or may not even know about this forum). I honestly am not sure I have ever seen lelliott731 ever post but he is easily one of the top 5 producers on the team.

As stated before I am here to help in whatever way I can. I just want us to fold on, fold [h]arder, and continue to have the friendship, comradarie, and fun that used to be here and I believe can be here again.

My entire point was that 138 people voted and only 75 wanted F@H leaving it 63 who wanted 2 projects. That is awful close to 50/50. That was my point and only my point.

OK, I misunderstood your post....I see your point now, and I do agree that its a valid one....So where do we go from here......I guess thats the million dollar question..:)

If Kyle currently only wants to officially promote 1 project on the front pages of [H], then that is fine. I think the DC forum will continue to tell people that we also have a 2nd project that many people run -- my understanding is that that is an ok thing to do. With the promotion of F@H people will be linked to Hardfolding and the DC forums and they will see that we also have other projects the team participates in, and they can make up their own mind what suits them. That appears like it will work out for the time being, and was basically what we had going on with UD. From reading Kyles post, and the posts of everyone else ,I see no reason why we can't move ahead and update the Horde Central post to include WCG and even possibly R@H information. I think we definitely can have a bright future ahead of us.

Hopefully King will be able to run a second project's stats on hardfolding, and if we want to participate in more projects we will find suitable stats sites to point people to.

I think the leaders thing is fine. I feel it is a good idea to have a group of people that can talk amongst them selves and make decisions about things like contests without having a large amount of people complicate the process. I know that Tormond has said he will help, I just don't know enough about the others to feel good giving them full reigns. In the end I don't feel it would be a problem either way. Let's do the leader voting and move on.

I'll get that Opteron 170 box I have sitting around up and running WCG. I want two projects, I'm far from a large donator here (1800PPD), but I'd definitely like two projects.

I know a lot of people will argue that running older machines on F@H still is valuable for science, but I'd argue that putting those older machines on something like WCG is a better use for them.

I thought a good deal of this was resolved in this thread

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1188796

At the moment efforts are being made to change some things from previous team names, Captains etc, shouldn't be too long now. WCG is apparently very helpful and happy about our support.

King is working on the stats.

I thought the case was made pretty clear that because of older hardware issues, rather then not include everyone we would do the 2 team things. Those who agreed on anything at all agreed on the WCG project.

Members such as Hito Bahadur, Xilikon, King and I are moving this forward.

That said I think everyone is looking forward to a smooth transition to the new project.

Front page Pimpage is still our #1 method (always has been, a big Thanks to Kyle) to bring new people on board. King in a strong effort to make bring more awareness to hardfolding.com has also added a new badge or banner system that other teams may use in other forums that both advertise the [H], our projects and their individual stats. From what I’ve seen this has had a very positive effect as far as bringing new members on board, as well as making more people aware of the [H] and what we are all about.

We did lose a few members due to the bickering but at the same time we gained a few as well. Frankly I can’t recall a negative post in here in a while now.

Unless I’m missing something things are moving forward. Someone please correct me if I missed something.:)

I am just a lurker here but am moving up in the team fast now ranked in the top 700 people, but back on subject I agree with Bill we need to have the 2 projects because folding does not work for everyone...... just my 2 cents F@H and WCG FTW

I voted WCG as I felt the need to be counted, but missed the chance to post in that thread. I have to say I agree quite a bit what uzor said, especially his summary points.

If Kyle currently only wants to officially promote 1 project on the front pages of [H], then that is fine. I think the DC forum will continue to tell people that we also have a 2nd project that many people run -- my understanding is that that is an ok thing to do. With the promotion of F@H people will be linked to Hardfolding and the DC forums and they will see that we also have other projects the team participates in, and they can make up their own mind what suits them. That appears like it will work out for the time being, and was basically what we had going on with UD.
I hate to drag out history because it will show that I'm old. :) But here's the historical background: it did not work like that before. Before when there was only FAH (to a small degree GAH also), people who wanted to "promote" UD got flamed, threads mentioning DC projects were locked in a hurry, and people were accused of "stealing people" and "causing rifts" in the team, etc. At the time FAH had a few problems (surprisingly enough they still have them, just not as frequent) and people wanted an alternative. After much effort and enduring bad times, the UD team was "officially" recognized so the animosity level went down. I'm not saying all people doing FAH were like that, but you just need a few and you would feel unwelcomed and outcast. So even the UD team became "official" (and thanks Kyle for mentioning it on the frontpage from time to time), the UD people are essentially beaten to the ground so much they have learned to STFU about mentioning the project that they were heavily involved in. We knew our place, so we only post sparingly in our milestone thread, and not creating too many new threads to avoid being labelled "aggressively recruiting away from the FAH team". We just go on about our own business and all that.

BTW, why do people just keep mention about older machines? I thought proxy/firewall issues also play a factor for some people doing UD? Looks like WCG will be the same deal so it definitely can accomodate some corporate borgs.

I believe some people just need to grow up and be a little tolerant on other projects. I'm ok with one "official" team, here are my suggestions:
  • official means front page mention, stickied threads helping people in trouble, and most threads will be about the project
  • by going unofficial, it just means the project won't get any front page pimpage, but people cannot flame about mentioning other projects and be bitchy about them; people who post and say "hey I find this new project which sounds interesting, come check it out" is not too harmful; of course, excessive promoting with 1000 threads need to be dealt with, so it will be a heavier burden on the mods
  • will be nice if there is an official name if others want to set up a team to fold for the [H], so it will be along the lines of "you want DC? well, we highly recommend you to check out FAH, you will get a lot of support, but if you are interested in another project, remember to use [official team name] if you want to DC for the [H]
  • regular (but not too frequent) reporting on other projects, along the lines of "hey, a while back I mentioned [this DC project], so I have tried over the past few months and it seemed ok, here are the things I have found..." should be totally acceptable. People who jump into the thread saying "how dare you try to recruit people from FAH! shame on you traitor! stfu" should be dealt with swiftly.

People come and people go. If not for another project there will be another reason. The main thing is that they are doing worthwhile things with their cycles, and recruiting new members on any team should never stop. I believe our FAH team is large+strong enough for people to check out other things, and can still grow and be better than ever. If we can do that, I can go on to do WCG without fear of being shut out, and I'll learn my place to not mention the "unofficial" project every day. :p There have already been people moving from UD to FAH already, so it's not like having a 2nd team for old UD people will be siphoning resources anyway.

I voted WCG as I felt the need to be counted, but missed the chance to post in that thread. I have to say I agree quite a bit what uzor said, especially his summary points.

I hate to drag out history because it will show that I'm old. :) But here's the historical background: it did not work like that before. Before when there was only FAH (to a small degree GAH also), people who wanted to "promote" UD got flamed, threads mentioning DC projects were locked in a hurry, and people were accused of "stealing people" and "causing rifts" in the team, etc. At the time FAH had a few problems (surprisingly enough they still have them, just not as frequent) and people wanted an alternative. After much effort and enduring bad times, the UD team was "officially" recognized so the animosity level went down. I'm not saying all people doing FAH were like that, but you just need a few and you would feel unwelcomed and outcast. So even the UD team became "official" (and thanks Kyle for mentioning it on the frontpage from time to time), the UD people are essentially beaten to the ground so much they have learned to STFU about mentioning the project that they were heavily involved in. We knew our place, so we only post sparingly in our milestone thread, and not creating too many new threads to avoid being labelled "aggressively recruiting away from the FAH team". We just go on about our own business and all that.

BTW, why do people just keep mention about older machines? I thought proxy/firewall issues also play a factor for some people doing UD? Looks like WCG will be the same deal so it definitely can accomodate some corporate borgs.

I believe some people just need to grow up and be a little tolerant on other projects. I'm ok with one "official" team, here are my suggestions:
  • official means front page mention, stickied threads helping people in trouble, and most threads will be about the project
  • by going unofficial, it just means the project won't get any front page pimpage, but people cannot flame about mentioning other projects and be bitchy about them; people who post and say "hey I find this new project which sounds interesting, come check it out" is not too harmful; of course, excessive promoting with 1000 threads need to be dealt with, so it will be a heavier burden on the mods
  • will be nice if there is an official name if others want to set up a team to fold for the [H], so it will be along the lines of "you want DC? well, we highly recommend you to check out FAH, you will get a lot of support, but if you are interested in another project, remember to use [official team name] if you want to DC for the [H]
  • regular (but not too frequent) reporting on other projects, along the lines of "hey, a while back I mentioned [this DC project], so I have tried over the past few months and it seemed ok, here are the things I have found..." should be totally acceptable. People who jump into the thread saying "how dare you try to recruit people from FAH! shame on you traitor! stfu" should be dealt with swiftly.

People come and people go. If not for another project there will be another reason. The main thing is that they are doing worthwhile things with their cycles, and recruiting new members on any team should never stop. I believe our FAH team is large+strong enough for people to check out other things, and can still grow and be better than ever. If we can do that, I can go on to do WCG without fear of being shut out, and I'll learn my place to not mention the "unofficial" project every day. :p There have already been people moving from UD to FAH already, so it's not like having a 2nd team for old UD people will be siphoning resources anyway.

I believe the whole point of my original thread was to stop the should we shouldn't we crap. As I said in my above post for the most part I haven't heard much in the way of arguments of late. We all need to allow History to be just that, something from the past.

For any number of reasons, hardware, proxys, whatever, a second was needed and is being implimented.

My goals are simple, we keep on folding, we take care of those who won’t or can’t. We continue to keep this forum a fun place to hang out and welcome the new folk keep the old folk and last but not least we stop being an embarrassment to ourselves when guests do come in.:D

I think we are sort of agreeing with each other, I think. :p

I believe the whole point of my original thread was to stop the should we shouldn't we crap.
That seemed to have been decided with the poll. The direction is one official team in FAH. That's why I posted, basically accepting the results, but suggesting that there will be enough people who want to do another project that we need to act differently from before. And that's where the history lesson comes in.

As I said in my above post for the most part I haven't heard much in the way of arguments of late. We all need to allow History to be just that, something from the past.
While we need to bury that past where the bitching and flaming happened, we do need to remember what happened. Again the cliché goes, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.", especially with the newer people who did not know what happened. I did say I don't like pulling the history out but sometimes we do need to be reminded before we went down the same path again.

For any number of reasons, hardware, proxys, whatever, a second was needed and is being implimented.
That's fine, but that needs to be allowed to exist in the first place. The past attitude of you are with us or against us needs to go, pronto. That is what tore us apart in the past, and that was why some have left. If we want to do better this time, something has to change.

My goals are simple, we keep on folding, we take care of those who won’t or can’t. We continue to keep this forum a fun place to hang out and welcome the new folk keep the old folk and last but not least we stop being an embarrassment to ourselves when guests do come in.:D

If making people feel welcome here is the new motto, then "we highly recommend FAH, but should you want to check out other projects, you are ok to do so although you may be on your own, and btw, use [official team name] should you decide to DC for the [H]orde" needs to be etched in stone as a cardinal rule. Preferably in big letters in a top sticky. ;) People from UD who can or will FAH have already switched (example: Anderu), so the FAH team is already getting stronger. I just don't see a problem if the remaining ones who can't or won't just go to another project in the name of [H]. I personally think this is fine, whether or not there is official support it doesn't really matter, as long as we don't get shouted at of course.

Heh, you are doing this on purpose huh? ;)

The second team exists all that remains is changing the team captain etc. As I said we are about half way through that process which was to take 30 days.

As in the past we “Officially” support two teams. As such it would be obvious anyone coming here wanting to participate would use our official teams if for no other reason then having their stats counted in the proper place.

We probably need to add a line in the stickies referring to the hard folding site mentioning we only support two teams. That message should be something along the line of, Thank you for your interest but at the moment we support all the teams we are able to handle and feel free to join us.

As this is an open forum from time to time we have had people come in to have us move to and support another project. A polite mention of the link and perhaps a friendly personal explanation would go a long way toward adding to our team.

The past attitude of you are either with us or not you keep bringing up is pretty much a non subject. We have two teams through which we offer choice, so you either are with us, or you are not.

Would you go over to say overclockers and try to tell them they NEED to change projects?

I’m really unsure where the difficulty is here, we support two projects. IF some one here wants to support another project fine, let them, but as a team we support the current projects.

There is no way we, the team, can possibly make everyone happy, I think that is obvious in all forms of endeavor. The best we can hope for is to attempt to keep the existing team happy, or as happy as we can and give people a reason to stay, not leave.

Hope that cleared it up a bit:)

Actually, it is quite clear, except for one minor detail. ;)

IF some one here wants to support another project fine, let them, but as a team we support the current projects.
In the past, even the mentioning of a 2nd project will get you the lock stick, massive flaming, labelling as "negative influence", plus a few other bad things. :eek:

What I would like is that regardless of a 2nd "official" project or not, we need to be more tolerant of someone even just touching on some other DC projects. I suggest putting this as a cardinal rule. It's all I ask.

It's amazing that even to this day, some still seem to thing UD (to me at least, I could be reading it wrong :() as A Bad Thing? :confused:

For the record, I have started WCG for the [H] on one machine. I don't care whether WCG gets the "official" status or not. But what I care is that I can at least openly talk about it, instead of 15000 people jumping in and stone me to death.

Actually, it is quite clear, except for one minor detail. ;)

In the past, even the mentioning of a 2nd project will get you the lock stick, massive flaming, labelling as "negative influence", plus a few other bad things. :eek:

What I would like is that regardless of a 2nd "official" project or not, we need to be more tolerant of someone even just touching on some other DC projects. I suggest putting this as a cardinal rule. It's all I ask.

It's amazing that even to this day, some still seem to thing UD (to me at least, I could be reading it wrong :() as A Bad Thing? :confused:

For the record, I have started WCG for the [H] on one machine. I don't care whether WCG gets the "official" status or not. But what I care is that I can at least openly talk about it, instead of 15000 people jumping in and stone me to death.

Well, face it; I am part of the awful past. Yup, me. I was vehemently opposed to a second team and said so on numerous occasions. King and I argued about that point well, it seemed like forever. I was way more vocal then I ever should have been on the subject as were many others.

Times change, people change. The [H] acquired a second team.

That said I am trying to do what I can to see to it that the second team is fully supported as well as supported by as many members as possible. In no way was I trying to justify this because of hardware issues alone, although that certainly is a factor.

I have zero control here, all I was and am trying to do is keep things running smoothly and attempt to coordinate things between King and the team, something that was very much missing under the old leadership. I have simply made suggestions and to be honest received a lot of positive feedback.

Everyone has control over their own or available computers and they obviously can do as the please with them. I would be the last person to try to tell anyone they have to do as I say.

Just as you started wcg on your own so have many others and frankly it is the most obvious choice for most since it’s a simple client change.

As far as someone coming in here suggesting we change projects, which has happened in the past the answer is simple, we already have two to support. As for supporting that project, my guess would be most would be against it. As for discussing a project sure, why not. People have different personalities and your reference to Red’s post shows one end of the spectrum. Please take notice that he got jumped on and you jumped right in or did I read that post wrong? Who jumped in to calm the situation, the old guard as we got to be named. This still is an open forum and no rule can ever stop someone from getting upset and leaving. Red got upset and finally left. His choice although he was one of the more active participants here with many many friends.

Now, if someone wants to do prime or SETI or whatever what’s to stop them? Not a thing right?

My last question is, exactly how would you phrase the rule you want? Keep in mind, you my friend broke the very rule just today that you would enforce on others;)

Just a thought, but perhaps self control would be better then a rule in this case. Think about it anyway, if I can use self control hell, any one can.:p

I mentioned this in Red's post, but I think it bears repeating.

We really have to stop thinking of it in terms of two teams. We are one team. The [H]orde! The [H]orde is currently engaged in trying to decide if they want to be officially involved with two projects, while allowing for folks to do other things as well, or officially supporting only F@H, while allowing for folks to do other things.

Only when we begin to think of ourselves as a single team, can we begin to get along like one, and respect each other as equals. Not "those that are on the F@H team", and "those that do insert project name".

Once we can accept that as fact, we can decide what we as The [H]orde, will be up to for the foreseeable future.

...one team, one project.

Otherwise, it's a place to get together and discuss the project of the day, and hope you get some good support.

I cant believe this is still an issue. I've been at this for 6ish years and have thought about it over the years from G@H to UD. Now it seems a big push to run multiple clients.

Why have a team ?

...one team, one project.
So how about: "one team, one official project, anything else you are on your own, but we won't stop you"?

The key points here are "officially supported", and "we won't stop you from doing another project in the [H]orde's name". Is that ok with you? Can't we all just get along? ;)

Unfortunately Red dropped into the forum today after a protracted absence and I believe what he is seeing vs. what we are actually saying was the cause for his commentary.

Although Red did drop in to chat with us today in another venue we failed to convince him that the changes we are seeking to re-implement with minimal hassle and down time had much merit. I certainly don’t want anyone here when it is against their will.

I’m quite pleased so far with what has amounted to little more then my lobbying efforts to keep things up and running. The DC thread has always been the maverick thread of the forum; I think we all know that by now. I think that maverick thing is what has held us together.

We have enjoyed that little bit of freedom latitude and had fun with it and for that we can only thank Kyle for his indulgence and understanding that as a Team we are more of a “special needs” group of people. To put it more succinctly, we are for the most part a group of Uber nerds. Hell, we are the largest independent folding team in the world so let us have fun with it and continue in a forward motion and grow.

Leave us close with a prayer………Heh, almost had you huh?;)

So you telling us to get on the short bus and get going BillR?

If by that you mean “Just do it” then yes.

Regardless of why people come to our team in the end the ones that stay do so from their hearts. That is what makes this team different and great and that is what will keep driving us forward.

Forward we go……..:D

If by that you mean “Just do it” then yes.

Regardless of why people come to our team in the end the ones that stay do so from their hearts. That is what makes this team different and great and that is what will keep driving us forward.

Forward we go……..:D

You would have won the hearts of Nike with your comments and your well placed catch phrase :D

Myself, I totally agree with BillR and just do what we think is good then everyone is free to join the bandwagon or not since waiting for it to roll would cause more grievance than good.

Crunch together for the cure (I picked this word to encompass the various DC projects) :)

You would have won the hearts of Nike with your comments and your well placed catch phrase :D

Myself, I totally agree with BillR and just do what we think is good then everyone is free to join the bandwagon or not since waiting for it to roll would cause more grievance than good.

Crunch together for the cure (I picked this word to encompass the various DC projects) :)

Heh, I admit it was a bit cliché. On the other hand it did convey the message.

The really funny part is, I really don’t like Nike lol.

F@h has also delivered the first useful product to be utilized by graphics cards.Since this forum is full of persons who also have a knack for graphics cards. I wish there was more effort put towards that.

Anyone remember the 3dfx commercials?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DmaYH1F6kho

Ironic.

I wish I had the time to give and the ability to afford the watts in order to contribute more. The f@h gpu client is great, but it needs to be revamped. An easier install application needs to be made to assess the computer and manipulate its settings for the best production/kilowatt hour. The companies that supply us with processors and board logic should be assisting with this.

Back