So when will SLI be available?

rgbyhkr

n00b
I've been looking into building a new system, but it looks like nvidia's upcoming SLI implementation may be worth waiting for. Theoretically, the ability to use 2 cards to run a single monitor can extend the life of the system and therefore limit the need to upgrade. Seeing as how I'm looking to pair the system with a 23" LCD, having a bit of extra processing punch is appealing to me as well.

The question is when will we see it available? From what I can tell, nVidia's current crop of 6800 cards supports SLI. What's needed now are MBs with dual PCI X graphics slots that support SLI. I'm willing to wait a few months, but I don't want to have to wait until the end of the year. The general reports I've seen talk about Q4, but has anyone seen anything more specific?

rgbyhkr said:
I've been looking into building a new system, but it looks like nvidia's upcoming SLI implementation may be worth waiting for. Theoretically, the ability to use 2 cards to run a single monitor can extend the life of the system and therefore limit the need to upgrade. Seeing as how I'm looking to pair the system with a 23" LCD, having a bit of extra processing punch is appealing to me as well.

The question is when will we see it available? From what I can tell, nVidia's current crop of 6800 cards supports SLI. What's needed now are MBs with dual PCI X graphics slots that support SLI. I'm willing to wait a few months, but I don't want to have to wait until the end of the year. The general reports I've seen talk about Q4, but has anyone seen anything more specific?
Ok, look... the current crop of cards do not support SLI, due to the fact that they are AGP 8X. You can't name PCI Express as PCI X as a short name. PCI X is a totally different thing and is currently available on my server and workstation Xeon and Opteron motherboards. What you require is two GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI Express cards, two 3.6GHz Xeons, and a motherboard based on the Tumwater chipset with an x16 slot and a x8/x4 slot. I'm guessing end of October, beginning of November.

Shorty said:
Ok, look... the current crop of cards do not support SLI, due to the fact that they are AGP 8X. You can't name PCI Express as PCI X as a short name. PCI X is a totally different thing and is currently available on my server and workstation Xeon and Opteron motherboards. What you require is two GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI Express cards, two 3.6GHz Xeons, and a motherboard based on the Tumwater chipset with an x16 slot and a x8/x4 slot. I'm guessing end of October, beginning of November.

Shorty, thanks for the clarification on the PCI X nomenclature. Hopefully, as we get closer, the time question will be answered. My only concern is waiting til then to build a system including it only to find out that it's been delayed.

Shorty said:

1. You do not have to have 2 CPU's
2. They do not have to be Xeons
3. And you do not neccesairly need a Tumwater chipset either

Back