So when did 320gb = 124gb?

HakBilal

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
309
Hey guys,

Just got a new seagate 320 7200.10 drive and when I installed a fresh copy of windows on it, it later said that I had 127gb of total hard drive space. When it first formatted, I did not see any partitions, so what happened? Should I try to install again?
 
if you are using an older version of Windows XP (the very first release and the releases that followed closely, pre SP1 versions) the partitioning tool within XP couldn't handle over 120gb if you were to partition it with a 3rd party partitioning program, and then install XP everythign would be fine.
 
just start over and give your self a ~30GB partition for windows install, then after all the drivers, get it totally updated to sp2+ and partition/format the remainder

so if you ever have a problem, atleast you wont format the whole drive
 
if you are using an older version of Windows XP (the very first release and the releases that followed closely, pre SP1 versions) the partitioning tool within XP couldn't handle over 120gb if you were to partition it with a 3rd party partitioning program, and then install XP everythign would be fine.

I had a pre SP1 version of XP, and it never had a problem handling my 250GB SATA drive as one partition.

I think this is the answer your looking for. (Google searched no less)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026129864
 
Ok, thanks, but I still am confused after reading those pages and what windows had to say. I looked in my registry for the key to edit it, and it was not there. I just installed service pack 2. Im not sure if it took care of it already or if I have to reformat and partition it again. I am a noob at this as you can tell, so how can I partition my drive with something else besides windows. I pop in the cd before I install and it does everything from there. Can I just skip the partition?
 
Ok, thanks, but I still am confused after reading those pages and what windows had to say. I looked in my registry for the key to edit it, and it was not there. I just installed service pack 2. Im not sure if it took care of it already or if I have to reformat and partition it again. I am a noob at this as you can tell, so how can I partition my drive with something else besides windows. I pop in the cd before I install and it does everything from there. Can I just skip the partition?

Make a new XP cd with SP2 slipstreamed into it:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
 
Back
Top