So whats the next big phone release ?

Sad thing is we are going backwards actually since Nokia N8 still has better camera than almost ? all new models

Samsung is the only company that makes phones with a user replaceable battery and sdcard, and my business will go to them. If only they could get Motorola's bigger battery.

Smartphones cameras are more than good enough for most people, to the point that no one really carries around point and shoot cameras anymore. Can't really get much better due to the laws of physics and optics.

I think there is a huge gap in terms of phone potential given the hardware these devices have, and what we have today. The next big innovations will be -

- server based GPS (which Microsoft Research just invented, which can dramatically reduce gps battery consumption)
- optimizations in software
- better battery life

The one trend I hope stops is the stupid goal of making phones even thinner and sealed, with no replaceable/fixable parts. Of course we have Apple to thank for this.

I would not be surprised to see replaceable batteries a thing of the past in 2013. In 2012 most top phones all have sealed batteries, iPhone...HTC One X...Nexus 4...Motorola Razr...Windows 8 Phones.

Only Samsung offering removable batteries. But I bet Samsung will go with a new design for the Galaxy S IV, and rumors of it being ceramic shell, polycarbonate shell, will most likely mean end to replaceable battery from Samsung too. The Galaxy S IV is said to have a massive 3100mh amp battery like the Razr MAXX.

HTC Droid DNA might win me back to Android. Never thought I'd think that, but I most definitely am after seeing my neighbor's DNA. Only reservation is its 16GB storage and no SD. Dumb move, HTC, on an otherwise outstanding phone.

Maybe the GS4 will be the one to seal the deal.

Last edited:
Why not skip those and wait for the 5 or the 6?

Because its already late in the game? Its like asking why someone would skip the GTX580 when the GTX680 is 5 months away.

I would not be surprised to see replaceable batteries a thing of the past in 2013. In 2012 most top phones all have sealed batteries, iPhone...HTC One X...Nexus 4...Motorola Razr...Windows 8 Phones.

Only Samsung offering removable batteries. But I bet Samsung will go with a new design for the Galaxy S IV, and rumors of it being ceramic shell, polycarbonate shell, will most likely mean end to replaceable battery from Samsung too. The Galaxy S IV is said to have a massive 3100mh amp battery like the Razr MAXX.

God I hope not, at least keep the SD slot if the backplate goes away :(

Love my note 2. Ill be waiting fir the note 3

I had the note 2 for a couple of weeks and I ended up returning it and paying a $30 restocking fee. It wasn't because it's not a good phone it's a great phone, but I've had an Atrix 4g for two years and I've grown so comfortable with it that I wasn't ready to part ways yet. I know it's crazy right?
I'll wait until my Atrix feels old and outdated but with the dev community that could be a long time.

My modded galaxy nexus will hold me nicely for another 8 to 10 months at least. By then I'm sure there will be some awesome new phone out.

Skipped the Galaxy S3 -- the 4 looks promising.

For what I do with my phone, my Gnex could hold me for another few years if I needed it to. I barely use the full allotment of 10GB per month on LTE, don't do much gaming on it.

Personally I'd love to see the next generation of phones focus on battery life and efficiency. My phone is plenty fast for ANYTHING I could possibly want on a screen that size. Impress the hell out of me and the rest of the world by making a phone that can go 2 or 3 days with moderate use without a charge. At that point you would have an entire planet saying "shutup and take my money"

Considering how HTC's One X lasts longer in real world tests with 4G despite having a smaller battery than Samsung GS3, maybe there is a reason Samsung NEEDS replaceable batteries. Quite frankly, Motorola RAZR Maxx HD got it right. Put in a massive battery while keeping the phone small. If the battery life lasts all day long, I doubt too many people would complain about having the need to replace batteries. And LG Optimus G/Nexus 4 also got it right in making an embedded battery easily replaceable if there are issues. So the dream is a huge embedded but easily replaceable battery.

50475.png

Back