So what's the difference in the new FXs?

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw it on the main page,

The Afthlon 64 FX 70, 72, 74 are 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0ghz respectively. So what makes a FX 70 different than an FX 60? If it has anything to do with the performance numbers like vanilla Athlon 64s the 70 should be what about ~20% faster than the FX 60 - yet it is the same clock speed.

I know that the numbers have nothing to do with speed, like PRs or Opteron models, but what gives? What's the difference?

thanks... :cool:

They are opteron based sockets and they are quad (using a special board and two FX dual core processors as a combo)... they are also extremley overpriced.

They will be known as the FX-2P, basically there to counter the quad core conroes coming out *conroes will be MUCH cheaper*

Oh and they are ditching the regular FX name in favor of X2, so the FX-64 will be known as the X2 6000+ and the current FX-62 will be known as the X2 5600+

When you can't beat Intel's Conroe with one FX then it looks like AMD has decided to release some dual core FX chips but you'll have to buy two of them at a time and they will only work on an all new motherboard design with two sockets.

I can only imagine the price of that new system.

I'll hold out final judgment until I see prices for these processors and motherboards, but this doesn't look good. Consider that a 2.6 GHz 5000+ goes for $520 right now on Newegg. Consider that there will more than likely be a slight markup from the 5000+ to the new FX-70. Now consider that you have to buy two. Finally, consider that the price of the motherboard will lie somwehere between current AM2 motherboards and server motherboards.

If they indeed hold to that $1000 figure that has been cited before, it's starting to look like that's the cost for the motherboard/processors combo, not the entire system.

I'm still trying to ficure out which quad route I want to travel down....AMD or Intel

Ok, so 2 CPUs (i.e. 2 Memory controllers) and Semi-server/workstation board. Does anybody know if this would support NUMA? That would be the real advantage to this type of system, especially when they come out with quad core CPUs that will require boatloads of bandwidth.

ok, so it is quad core? I got put off by the 2x1 MB in the description - but they share that cache right? Along with a L3?

Any support for DDR3 in these perhaps? or is that wishful thinking?

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
The processors are dual core. The platform (4x4) is quad core.

Again, then I raise my question - what is the difference besides a new socket and ability to have 2 cpus? Nothing? :confused:

non registered unbuffered DDR....

That is the difference, other then probably an enthusiast chipset instead of a pro one.

You can use your awsome overclocking RAM, basically that is it.

It puts dual socket in the hands of overclockers.

I am not too excited about it... I want dual socket opteron for speed *AND* stability. However, I can see where it would be fun to tweak one like you can a DFI board, for instance.

The prices on those CPUs need to come down though! Seriously... AMD used to be the price/performance leader the last time intel was the speed king, and I think they should go in that direction again for now.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
I'll hold out final judgment until I see prices for these processors and motherboards, but this doesn't look good.
and the performance.
LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
If they indeed hold to that $1000 figure that has been cited before, it's starting to look like that's the cost for the motherboard/processors combo, not the entire system.
From what I recall the $1k number was always with respect to the price of the CPUs. According to my memory, AMD said that a person will be able to buy the two CPUs for sub $1k.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Consider that a 2.6 GHz 5000+ goes for $520 right now on Newegg.
Newegg is way over priced. They had that same chip at $700 a couple weeks ago and even 520 is too much. They are the only game in town that actually has any CPU-In Box in stock and they are going to make people pay through the nose for them.

You can still order (currently on backorder) for $325 from outpost and a couple of weeks ago you could order from monarch as part of a combo for mid $300. It looks like Monarch hopped on board with newegg, now the combo price is around $489 for the OEM chip.

Hopefully, 4X4 will support Torrenza, as well..
cool.gif

PPU in one socket, processor in another..

unclewebb said:
When you can't beat Intel's Conroe with one FX then it looks like AMD has decided to release some dual core FX chips but you'll have to buy two of them at a time and they will only work on an all new motherboard design with two sockets.

I can only imagine the price of that new system.

Can these chips be used in a stardard Opteron 2000 series board? I know that they will fit. Or at least it seems that they should, unless somehow the signals have been changed. That would be really foolish, as it would keep new users of these chips from incrementally upgrading to server boards. I have a Tyan s3992 Opteron board. There is no 3.0G processor in the Opteron line up. As much as any of you may say these chips may be overpriced, they are still far cheaper than the Opterons. Newegg has the FX-74 for $550, $50 less than an Opteron 2.6G. A 2.8G Opteron is $769. So I really want to know if these chips will work in my board? Another thing, is that AMD will probably release a 3.4G FX before you see a faster chip in the Opteron series. So, what's up?

Well that was what 4 months ago Now you can buy a FX for $350. With a 5200 being only $250. How can a FX be overpriced. YOu buy 2 of these and OC them to 3ghz prob limit. So you pay the same amount as C2Q. Only problem is powerconsumption but who ever buys this I'm sure they won't care at all. C2Q is better because it can actouly OC. I have never seen anybody OC a QFX before. So its questionable how far they can go unless we had more to go by.

What happened to the chips after the FX-60 and FX-57, we seen 3.5ghz then 4.2ghz a year ago. Now AMD can only go upto around 3ghz what in the hell happened to AMD???

Shingoshi said:
Can these chips be used in a stardard Opteron 2000 series board? I know that they will fit. Or at least it seems that they should, unless somehow the signals have been changed. That would be really foolish, as it would keep new users of these chips from incrementally upgrading to server boards. I have a Tyan s3992 Opteron board. There is no 3.0G processor in the Opteron line up. As much as any of you may say these chips may be overpriced, they are still far cheaper than the Opterons. Newegg has the FX-74 for $550, $50 less than an Opteron 2.6G. A 2.8G Opteron is $769. So I really want to know if these chips will work in my board? Another thing, is that AMD will probably release a 3.4G FX before you see a faster chip in the Opteron series. So, what's up?

Look at the date. Its 4 months ago. We know now the FX's are super cheap. Wonder why the FX62 and FX60 are more then a 3ghz processor. Doesn't make sense. But amazing they are selling a cpu at 3ghz for that price.

Serge84 said:
Look at the date. Its 4 months ago. We know now the FX's are super cheap. Wonder why the FX62 and FX60 are more then a 3ghz processor. Doesn't make sense. But amazing they are selling a cpu at 3ghz for that price.

How are they "super cheap," and why is it amazing? They're charging $450 for a 2.8Ghz chip, which is competitive with a $315 E6600, before we start overclocking. I can reduce the voltage on my E6600 and get it to 3Ghz (25% overclock) on stock cooling. You'd have to take the FX-72 to 3.5-3.6 Ghz to keep up. I don't think that will happen very easily.

theriverlethe said:
How are they "super cheap," and why is it amazing? They're charging $450 for a 2.8Ghz chip, which is competitive with a $315 E6600, before we start overclocking. I can reduce the voltage on my E6600 and get it to 3Ghz (25% overclock) on stock cooling. You'd have to take the FX-72 to 3.5-3.6 Ghz to keep up. I don't think that will happen very easily.

because a FX-62 costs $680 and a FX 74 costs $550 Its a 3ghz AMD a 1st for dual core with AMD. >_> Knock knock... *Head sounds* I don't care what your E6600 can do we are talking about stock chips no OCed ones. And some people just stay with AMD. This is the AMD forums and not about Intel. Get the picture, they want to know about the FX not about a conroe. Everybody is already aware conroe can reach 4ghz and 5.7ghz and all those fancy clocks. Yet theres still a AMD forum and people that use and buy AMD's and they know all about conroe. The problem? :rolleyes: Silly boy AMD is not for you.

Okay, said/asked this in another thread talking about FX-7x's.

Isn'te the FX-70 FX-72 and FX-74 the name of products and not processors. Meaning that the product FX-70 comes with two socket F dual core processors in the box???

Can the FX-74 be used on a server board?
Can it run on a board which is ECC/Registered DDR2.
Are the signals IN the processor independent of the board?

I don't want to wait to see if AMD will release a 3.0G Opteron.

ryan_975 said:
Okay, said/asked this in another thread talking about FX-7x's.

Isn'te the FX-70 FX-72 and FX-74 the name of products and not processors. Meaning that the product FX-70 comes with two socket F dual core processors in the box???

There are TWO processor cores on each physical die. DUAL-CORE!!! So TWO processors are sitting in ONE socket! Get it!

Lay off. It was at one point theorized that two DUAL CORE!!!!!11 processors would be sold in one package for the whole 4x4 thing. It was an honest mistake.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Lay off. It was at one point theorized that two DUAL CORE!!!!!11 processors would be sold in one package for the whole 4x4 thing. It was an honest mistake.

That would have been a truly interesting proposal. And if AMD doesn't get it's act together, it may really NEED to. Just to stay competitive with Intel. I was just thinking today that the best thing AMD could (should) do, is to start moving it's entire future product line to the 1207 socket. So you ask why! AMD has a very limited production capability compared to Intel. That combined with the fact that Intel will have quads on the market before AMD, Intel quads are going to have a tremendous market lead over AMD. The only way for AMD to offset this, is to consolidate it's attention on a unified product line. They are in the same position now that American Automobile manufacturers were in some time ago. While every one else in the world sold a smaller selection of better products, they were selling a massive selection of inferior products. Now we can argue all day about how superior AMD's processors are to Intel. But in the final analysis, it will come down to numbers. Market share! The only way for AMD to counter this is to streamline it's product line so that it can make more of the chips that will truly compete against Intel.

Yes there needs to be some support for AMD's legacy customer base. But maybe it would be better to give them a quicker and more accessible upgrade path. The more of different products you sell, the greater the likelihood that you will have to scrap things. Concentrating all of it's attention on producing more of it's faster or fastest chips will not only reduce it's overall production costs and the customers cost, it will also force Intel off balance. Keeping the 1207 as it's foundation for all future sales will lessen the chance that customers will have to replace systems that will become obsolete sooner than later.

That is precisely why I purchased a 1207 server board. Server products have a much longer life cycle. I am banking on having more than triple the amount of time to use my system compared to the majority of you. With a single processor socket to support, AMD could do even better than Intel in the manner of having two lines of chips for one socket, Just like the Pentium III and the Celeron. Pursuing the path of it's Opteron technology to it's extreme will also keep it's customer base focused and confident in AMD's future and theirs as well.

So selling two processors in ONE box just might be the best short term solution for all of us. Especially when you consider that the 1207 has a minimum of two processors per board. Can every one say OPTERON!!!

God damn a FX62 is now in the $500 mark. Wowzerz. Thats really compeditave. Its about time to buy a FX if it gets to the price of the FX 72. But I'd still wait for a 6000 or K8L.

Serge84 said:
because a FX-62 costs $680 and a FX 74 costs $550 Its a 3ghz AMD a 1st for dual core with AMD. >_> Knock knock... *Head sounds* I don't care what your E6600 can do we are talking about stock chips no OCed ones. And some people just stay with AMD. This is the AMD forums and not about Intel. Get the picture, they want to know about the FX not about a conroe. Everybody is already aware conroe can reach 4ghz and 5.7ghz and all those fancy clocks. Yet theres still a AMD forum and people that use and buy AMD's and they know all about conroe. The problem? :rolleyes: Silly boy AMD is not for you.

This only shows that AMD's price structure needs serious work.
Where is it stated that we're talking about "stock" chips? Anybody who knows the difference between Intel and AMD should be knowledgeable enough to do an effortless overclock that doesn't even require an aftermarket heatsink. $550 for a 3GHz AMD64 is simply not a very good deal.
People still bought P4's even though the PIII's and Athlons were better. My last two computers used AMD, and my next computer will use whichever platform provides better price/performance. Don't patronize me with your irrational brand prerference.

theriverlethe said:
This only shows that AMD's price structure needs serious work.
Where is it stated that we're talking about "stock" chips? Anybody who knows the difference between Intel and AMD should be knowledgeable enough to do an effortless overclock that doesn't even require an aftermarket heatsink. $550 for a 3GHz AMD64 is simply not a very good deal.
People still bought P4's even though the PIII's and Athlons were better. My last two computers used AMD, and my next computer will use whichever platform provides better price/performance. Don't patronize me with your irrational brand prerference.

Oh really, think so agenst a X64 vista AMD setup at nearly 3ghz? Your on cowboy. Ready draw... pow pow pow.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=ZX3.jpg
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=ZV4.jpg

Looks like I'm still the best shot in these here parts. =P You lost pretty bad since its all just about dual core chips not quads. A single dual core 3ghz chip FX74 or X2 6000+ on a 64bit OC will kill a stock conroe in ALU but not FPU sure. Yet FPU is useless for most things but media, not games. Stock speeds not OCed. You just been under a 32bit rock all your life. Conroe may rule the 32bit world but not the future because 64bit is the next step like it was from 16bit cpus to 32bit cpus. Whatever performs better for the future is the better cpu for me not one for the past.

Conroe may rule the 32bit world but not the future because 64bit is the next step like it was from 16bit cpus to 32bit cpus. Whatever performs better for the future is the better cpu for me not one for the past.

How long have we been hearing this now? 64 bit doesn't appear to be going anywhere, anytime soon! Maybe with 64 bit Vista approaching, we'll start to see some really good 64 bit apps and games. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that... :)

Games don't use floating point? Everything I've read for years says the opposite, but I'm open to new information if you present it.

Edit: And while you're at it, why don't you show some SSE results, which will be more relevant to gaming?

Back