So.... What's new...

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
Hey guys, checking in from Afghanistan this time, know its been a whie but whats up? Got a few questions, figure this is the place to go

Been gone for a while now, just browsing online at work and bam, there's the Why We DC thread. Fuck. Gets me everytime.

So, I decide hey, why not get back into the game, even tho I'm financially on thin ice (got engaged, right before we got married I got deployed yet again, paying for a wedding now and saving money for kids, girl will be mad if I spend too much lol, so there's what you've missed lol) and can't run much of anything at home since I'm in a third world country lol, I can get a laptop while I'm here, not upgrade my PC when I get home, bam, budget crisis averted lol

So, I got a laptop. And boy did I screw up lol, she'll kill me if she finds out I went over budget lol. Here's the relevant hardware, I'm not sure how much folding has changed but here's what were looking at

4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB)
16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 780M (4.0GB) GDDR5
- I also got copper heatpipe upgrades on the CPU and GPU and better thermal compund, so that should help

Question is, what can I do and what should I do, what would be best

I've been gone for so long I'm not sure where to start, what clients to run, any flags I need you know

So basicly, I'm a noob, and this is not only my hello post but my help post and my what do you think this will get points wise post

welcome back, it has been a while and congratulations

you can still use the v6 clients although v7 is now mature and generally stable. you have a choice of either smp or gpu work units. I wouldn't run both at the same time due to the heat.

I would try running either smp or gpu first, see how you do with temps and then try some wu on the other and check temps again. Once you have some data and can make a choice you are happy with, stick to that as i'm guessing that killing the laptop due to heat won't go down too well.

Yea, so I just looked up team stats.

First of all, damn, fell down to 66 again, seems everytime I break top 30's I get screwed lol

Second of all, HOLY PPD!!!! What the hell guys, 50+ million a day?!?! Weve got one guy doing over 9 mill alone!!! I take it either there are some new amazing ass hardware configs or there are some very high scoring units ou there, Damn I remember when 20,000 ppd was a serious feat, this is nuts!

Congrats 33, and glad to see you guys still hold the crown! Smack them bucks around lol

Mtnduey is currently folding on his lab gear at work, Brilong has a goal of 10mill ppd and Grandpa seems intent on causing a state wide blackout.

4p rigs are still where its at, either overclocked g34 or intel 4p e5. however even a 2p machine can now get 400k PPD with the right unit and a top end gpu can now get over 100k ppd, even an amd based one

ola mia friendo Vaulter98c

Bake it!

Vaulter, buddy....thanks for your continued service brother, and welcome back to the madness! Good to see you're still kicking things around, and hope that things are going well for you.

Ax

Mtnduey is currently folding on his lab gear at work, Brilong has a goal of 10mill ppd and Grandpa seems intent on causing a state wide blackout.

4p rigs are still where its at, either overclocked g34 or intel 4p e5. however even a 2p machine can now get 400k PPD with the right unit and a top end gpu can now get over 100k ppd, even an amd based one

What can a 6970 and 6990 get?

6970s last I was aware were ~30k at the max. It is the 7k series that are the folding monsters.

well for now I've got a single core unit running, just to get my name turned back on and some units in
On that note, holy crap the client has changed! I gotta re-learn all about flags and what not it seems, and what the hell is this "folding power" slider on the top?

Like a kid again lol

Welcome back! The beer and tamales are on me!

2012-03-23_19-50-44_61-1.jpg

Well, at least a half a glass, I was thirsty.

Yea, so I just looked up team stats.

Damn I remember when 20,000 ppd was a serious feat, this is nuts!

Hello! Welcome back!

I agree with you. Back in the day I was in the top 10 folders PPD with 10k to 12k per day.

Times have been a changin'!

Sad thing is that wasn't long ago lol. 21,000ppd got me all the way to 13th at one time on the team standings lol, I just googled a E5-4650 and shit myself on the price lol. The good old days of boxes with P4 rigs on them all over the house lol

just got to figure out some flags to use and I'll be gettin something going, got a single core going for a bit now, any suggestions guys?

Glad there's still a few of yall from the class of 09 still hanging around lol

Last edited:
Sad thing is that wasn't long ago lol. 21,000ppd got me all the way to 13th at one time on the team standings lol, I just googled a E5-4650 and shit myself on the price lol. The good old days of boxes with P4 rigs on them all over the house lol

just got to figure out some flags to use and I'll be gettin something going, got a single core going for a bit now, any suggestions guys?

Glad there's still a few of yall from the class of 09 still hanging around lol

Vaulter98c:

Since I didn't see where you specified an operating system, I am assuming the new laptop has Win8? If it has Linux then the comments below only apply for the CPU slot.

I fold on home and work Windows 7/8 PC's and on a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation (with Linux in a VM). I am just starting to get serious about a new 2P system with Linux (hence messing with Linux on a virtual machine first).

You might consider, if heat is not an issue, setting your CPU slot to 6 threads (instead of -1 default) and add the advanced flag to the GPU - if you decide to use both CPU and GPU. This will leave one thread for the 17 core and one thread 'available' for overflow for the new 17 core. This works well for me and doesn't seem to inhibit the core 17 performance. Also, you might want to add pause-on-start to the expert tab so that if you are out and about a lot with your laptop. You can also use the slider and set to "Idle" so that when you do want to use the laptop folding automatically pauses. If you do set the threads to 6, the slider positions Medium and Light will not change the CPU FYI.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
ooooooh suitable #s for AMD now.... looks like I'm gonna come back hard to the fold than.

Thanks for serving our country sir!

hmmm...winter is coming so I might start folding here in a bit. So AMD cards are viable at folding now ehhhhh??? That's good news.

got 2 single core WU's in the other day, didnt want to just delete them, bumped it up to 5 cores, but I don't have any idea on TPF yet. This is on my current laptop, a sandy @ 3ghz, my new one still hasnt even shipped from the dealer yet, should take 2-3 more weeks to get here

Gonna get a cooling pad, then play with some flags, then when the lappy gets here I'll be able to know what I can and can't do

Back