So what would you guys pick for best headphones under $50

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Preferably with 5.1and are comfortable enough to wear for couple hours. Don't want anything heavy like MDR-V700's

I would suggest saving that 50$ and buy something that cost alot more like some Koss or even better brand, the sound is worth the extra and most have warentees that make spending the money a good investment

edit: not the lower end Koss headphones, I mean like the set I own the Pro4AAT.. Perfect for blocking the world out, and such

You can usually get some Sennheiser HD497 for around $50. They're not 5.1 or anything but you wouldn't want that anyway. 5.1 headphones suck IMO.

5.1 channel headphones? and what were you smoking when you decided you needed 5.1 for something that attatches onto the sides of your head? two ears. count 'em. :rolleyes:

just go for some good $80+ headphones, ify ou can go for em go for high end koss or sennheiser. koss, the good ones, are a lot better then people think. Radio Shack sells some nice Koss ones for $100, but they usually aren't out on the shelf, you have to ask for them.

If you are going to spend $100 on Koss headphones, you might as well drop another $12 on some Audio Technica A500's that will sound a whole helluva lot better.

Thaddy said:
If you are going to spend $100 on Koss headphones, you might as well drop another $12 on some Audio Technica A500's that will sound a whole helluva lot better.

Not as good as the Koss, compared they might have one thing better but all around the Koss is just better

LadyMakoFox said:
not the lower end Koss headphones, I mean like the set I own the Pro4AAT.. Perfect for blocking the world out, and such

LadyMakoFox said:
Not as good as the Koss, compared they might have one thing better but all around the Koss is just better

Those crappy Koss cans are not even in the same class as the ATH500s.

Mister X said:
:rolleyes: Titanium vs. Unknown metal (atleast Koss shows what your buying, I have no clue what they are made of and know the quailty is poor)

Mister X said:
the 'crappy' koss she posted about are, in reality, in a whole nother class, very true. if you actually do research and try listening to them in an audio shop instead of bashing them and trying a 'my dick is bigger' approach like you are doing now which is very immature, then you would know that this particular earphone set is quite good.

stats:
Frequency Response: 10-25,000 Hz
Impedance: 250 ohms
Weight: 21.0 oz.
Sensitivity: 95dB SPL/1mW
Distortion: <0.1%
Ear Cushions:
Cord: Straight, Dual Entry, 8ft
Plug: 3.5 mm/6.4 mm
Titanium coated high polymer diaphragm for accurate sound reproduction
Closed ear cushions for maximum bass and isolation
Built for maximum durability for studio and broadcast use
Oxygen free copper voice coils for signal clarity
Coiled, single entry 8 foot cord
3.5 mm plug and 6.3 mm adapter

if you really look you can get these refurb and maybe even new for $50
so this is quite on topic.

LadyMakoFox said:
:rolleyes: Titanium vs. Unknown metal (atleast Koss shows what your buying, I have no clue what they are made of and know the quailty is poor)

I have actually heard both sets of cans.... Can you say that?

So when was titanium established as the premier material to make headphones out of? Boy, someone should have told Sennheiser that when they made the HE60 huh! I guess that also makes my plastic-shelled E5C's inferior to the Koss's as well?

Thaddy said:
So when was titanium established as the premier material to make headphones out of? Boy, someone should have told Sennheiser that when they made the HE60 huh! I guess that also makes my plastic-shelled E5C's inferior to the Koss's as well?
Didnt say that, I mean they dont even show what the heck they are made of on the company's site (if you looked or knew the product) Sennheiser you know whats in them, I havent seen even with using them whats in the ATH500s

LadyMakoFox said:
Didnt say that, I mean they dont even show what the heck they are made of on the company's site (if you looked or knew the product) Sennheiser you know whats in them, I havent seen even with using them whats in the ATH500s
Ok, I understand what you are saying, but it's a moot point really. There are literally hundreds of positive reviews over at Head-Fi about the A500's, and probably nothing about the Koss's. I'm sure someone bought them, but then realized they were junk, and they could do much better for their money. I'm sure Koss is just tossing out that Titanium to lure in potential buyers who see "Titanium" and get all hot and sweaty.

IMO: I would buy a set of headphones for what you plan to use them though, if you plan for light use buy something thats ment for light use, myself I found the Koss able to bare what hell I put them though and have good sound quailty cause if you have the worlds best quailty and they last 2 months under use then you waste money no?

Thaddy said:
Ok, I understand what you are saying, but it's a moot point really. There are literally hundreds of positive reviews over at Head-Fi about the A500's, and probably nothing about the Koss's. I'm sure someone bought them, but then realized they were junk, and they could do much better for their money. I'm sure Koss is just tossing out that Titanium to lure in potential buyers who see "Titanium" and get all hot and sweaty.

Yeah of course they give the "flashy" name to them to attract people but I buy on knowing that they can bare what hell I give them, and just a simple way to say most headphones dont survive my abuse long

Get used Sennheiser HD497s or used Grado SR60s. 280 pros if you like closed cans. The Koss Titainium is ok, but are overpriced IMO.
Never ever consider 5.1 cans unless all you do is play games with 5.1 support and have bad hearing. I own a pair of Zalmans and they are quite bad, although I have grown to accept them in Doom3 and UT2K4.

All IMO of course. ;)

Also if you misread what they are made of, the shell is plastic.. its not titanium its what the internals are made of I am more conserned about then the shell, plastic can last easily through my abuse but internals fail easy

LadyMakoFox said:
Yeah of course they give the "flashy" name to them to attract people but I buy on knowing that they can bare what hell I give them, and just a simple way to say most headphones dont survive my abuse long
Well, don't beat up your headphones and maybe they will last more than 2 months. The reason I've kept my HD-580's in pristine condition for almost a year is simple, I take care of my things.

Thaddy said:
Well, don't beat up your headphones and maybe they will last more than 2 months. The reason I've kept my HD-580's in pristine condition for almost a year is simple, I take care of my things.

Question: Do you use your headphones for more then 4 hours, and everywhere (outside/inside)?

Back