So what payment methods is everyone using nowadays?

dvsman

2[H]4U
Paypal, Google Wallet, Venmo, something new I've never heard of, etc.?

What are the pros and cons and what experiences have you had? I've only had experience with Paypal (and fees, fees, fees), but I'm looking to expand what I accept to other means. I just want to make sure they don't end up being sketchy for the buyer or seller (although I'm a buyer the majority of the time, I would like to unload some old hardware as well).

Thanks in advance for any input!

How are the fees on Chase Quickpay, usyed1? I'm looking at the website but no mention of the fees as far as I can find.

How are the fees on Chase Quickpay, usyed1? I'm looking at the website but no mention of the fees as far as I can find.

Zero fees, but one user has to have a chase checking account

Square cash is another good one. You can send money with a debit card via a phone app with no fees.

Be aware that all of these methods do not have a dispute process like PayPal, however, you can go to your bank and dispute.

Google Wallet is good for small amounts with trusted people. I prefer it because it charges no fees but there's also no buyer/seller protection so I refuse to use it on anything over $100.

Still using Paypal, but I really need to drop them. I'm so sick of their shadiness. Recently I had a vendor hit me with recurring subscription fees which I never knew existed, never consented to, nor realized that any vendor can auto create this relationship with me w/o my approval via Paypal. All Paypal was good for is canceling this unauthorized access, but they didn't refund the charge. I sent them an email demanding a refund. What's the point to Paypal, if any tom dick or joe co. can just attach themselves to your account like a leach?

I use paypal and that is pretty much it. I do not really sell all that much so I have not tried any other service yet. The key is that I will not simply send a check or money order because there is no recourse in those forms, just in case. What other services are similar to paypal in their protections?

I only accept PayPal Gift or Google Wallet for items less than $20, and PayPal G/S, Gift, Venmo, and GW for stuff over $20. Nothing will offer the protection PayPal does though.

Doesn't Paypal offer way less protection for a seller than a buyer? How does a seller go about insuring that he can't get scammed buy a buyer if so?

Doesn't Paypal offer way less protection for a seller than a buyer? How does a seller go about insuring that he can't get scammed buy a buyer if so?

They have dispute resolution but if that fails, you had better remember to put it on a credit card.

PSA, everyone check your paypal accounts, specifically the recurring charge area. You'll be surprised how many vendors they allow to setup recurring charge authority on your account. And they hide it and never mention it. Hit the gear icon...

They have dispute resolution but if that fails, you had better remember to put it on a credit card.

PSA, everyone check your paypal accounts, specifically the recurring charge area. You'll be surprised how many vendors they allow to setup recurring charge authority on your account. And they hide it and never mention it. Hit the gear icon...

They don't automatically add anything.......if your on an auto renew, its because you agreed to the auto renew when you first subscribed to whatever it is that your paying for.

don't blame PayPal because you don't read the fine print before hitting enter when you sign up for something.

They don't automatically add anything.......if your on an auto renew, its because you agreed to the auto renew when you first subscribed to whatever it is that your paying for.

don't blame PayPal because you don't read the fine print before hitting enter when you sign up for something.

I checked my account and I had something like 20 vendors in there. Before that I never even knew the recurring crap existed, so NO, I never added any of those vendors in there.

I checked my account and I had something like 20 vendors in there. Before that I never even knew the recurring crap existed, so NO, I never added any of those vendors in there.

Any vendor listed in that section is a vendor that YOU bought from, and in doing so YOU entered into a payment agreement with that company. they list both preapproved and recurring payments in the same section. Regardless of what you may think, PayPal does not add recurring payments in there willy nilly, you have to have entered into an agreement with the company

Any vendor listed in that section is a vendor that YOU bought from, and in doing so YOU entered into a payment agreement with that company. they list both preapproved and recurring payments in the same section. Regardless of what you may think, PayPal does not add recurring payments in there willy nilly, you have to have entered into an agreement with the company

Nope. The vendor does it not me. I HAVE NEVER entered into a pre-approval with Woot.com, Tigerdirect.com, Steam, etc etc for recurring, subscription, or pre-approval. And yet, what do I find in Payments? All these damn vendors who have given themselves access to charge my account w/o my prior consent! There was never an option to check or uncheck during purchase. Most of the vendors don't even have subscriptions etc. Originating charges w/o my express CONSENT is counter to the point of using Paypal in the first place.

And really, this is a PSA for everyone. Instead you blame me lol.

Btw, "PayPal does not add recurring payments in there willy nilly, you have to have entered into an agreement with the company" that is not what I wrote. I wrote that they allow vendors to add themselves to your account with authority to charge.

Last edited:
I'm not blaming you, I'm explaining to you how those entries got in that list. somewhere in the TOS of the purchases you made from those companies, you granted them , or PayPal permission .
Not all on that list are subscriptions, some entries are just pre approvals to use PayPal as a payment method for future purchases.

if you find a company name on that list that you have never patronized , then I would worry, until then , your PSA is inaccurate and unwarranted.

I'm not blaming you, I'm explaining to you how those entries got in that list. somewhere in the TOS of the purchases you made from those companies, you granted them , or PayPal permission .
Not all on that list are subscriptions, some entries are just pre approvals to use PayPal as a payment method for future purchases.

if you find a company name on that list that you have never patronized , then I would worry, until then , your PSA is inaccurate and unwarranted.

Sorry, you're wrong. Any company can stick themselves into that area. And if they HAD TO BURY these terms into whatever bullshit TOS, that alone is deceptive and Paypal supports it by ALLOWING this practice. The problem is also that it is hardly documented and you're not helping with letting ppl know. Let me ask, why does woot.com need to be there? Why does tigerdirect need to be in there? What really pisses me off is that I had one crappy vendor charge a subscription that I didn't want, and Paypal said they could only cancel the whatever they call it but not refund. LOL, what is the point of Paypal then? I fired off a dispute with Citi, charge was reversed and final within 5 minutes. No vendor would get away with this crap with a real credit card company, so why would Paypal fail to make the refund?

All kinds of special up in here...

Crosshairs is right, you are wrong. Read the TOS for transactions you make. This is your fault, not Paypal.

All kinds of special up in here...

Crosshairs is right, you are wrong. Read the TOS for transactions you make. This is your fault, not Paypal.

Technically he's correct that it's in someones tos, but just because something is in a tos, doesn't make it right or legal.

I understand what you're saying, and not a lot of people read any TOS at all (you should...), but here is where you're going off base with this.

They aren't charging you any kind of reoccurring fee. They simply set that up with your paypal to make your future transactions with them go more quickly as a convenience to you. There is no background shady operations going on.

The only reoccurring fee that you will get charged is for one that you signed up for. I'm not trying to insult anybodies intelligence, but if you don't pay attention to what you're doing and sign up for some monthly charge, that's your fault. To try and hold Paypal accountable for something you didn't have the mental fortitude to not screw up yourself is wrong.

Sorry, you're wrong. Any company can stick themselves into that area.
No, they cant. in order for them to be there you had to have made a purchase from them in the past

Let me ask, why does woot.com need to be there? Why does tigerdirect need to be in there?

because you made a purchase from them and used PayPal to pay. if you make any further purchases, they already have your info and can make checking out and paying that much easier.

here is an entry from my list
You've authorized use of your PayPal account for future payments to Electronic Arts, Inc. You can cancel this authorization by clicking Cancel below.

I bought a game with PayPal and they have my info...now anytime I want to buy another game, I just click "pay with PayPal " and away I go....no need to enter all of my info again. and as you can see, I can easily remove them from the list with just one click.

EDIT: I see theplaidfad covered it pretty well.

No, they cant. in order for them to be there you had to have made a purchase from them in the past

because you made a purchase from them and used PayPal to pay. if you make any further purchases, they already have your info and can make checking out and paying that much easier.

here is an entry from my list

I bought a game with PayPal and they have my info...now anytime I want to buy another game, I just click "pay with PayPal " and away I go....no need to enter all of my info again. and as you can see, I can easily remove them from the list with just one click.

EDIT: I see theplaidfad covered it pretty well.

I've written this before, just because I bought something from a vendor doesn't give them MY CONSENT to charge me again. The problem as I've written above is that Paypal doesn't give two cents. When I was charged by a vendor for a sub I did not ask for, Paypal only canceled the vendors access or contract and would not or could not refund the charge. What do I need Paypal for? The whole point was to keep my money safe from willy nilly vendors. Apparently, their system doesn't really filter me from this sort of practice does it?

Make the purchase easier? Yea, right. It's the same checkout process. I have had no problems checking out with PP for vendors that don't leach their way into my pre-approval, nor speed issues.

Use a credit card, if you really want to be protected is the end game.

A few hours ago they sent me a survey, I let them know in plain english I am not a fan of this crap. I use Paypal to prevent vendors from having authority to my account, not giving it away hidden in some deceptive tos.

They don't have authority to your account unless you give it to them. They do not process transactions that you aren't approving yourself. You're really not picking up what we're putting down...

Make the purchase easier? Yea, right.

That's a shiny hat you're wearing. Does it pick up the premium channels?

lmfao this guy is so dense, Crosshairs explained it how it works and he somehow still disputes that "COMPANIES CAN CHARGE YOUR PAYPAL ANYTIME WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!"

Companies can't just add themselves and charge you... If so, then why aren't there 105381095380159813059 scammers out there doing that system? Wouldn't you think Scammer A would make a dummy company, add themselves to 500,000 paypal accounts, and charge every account $10 at the same time and run? Come on now...

Venmo is what I use amongst friends I know. It's awesome if I need to throw somebody some cash to pick me up a 6-pack or pay a friend back for a meal or something. I think Papa Johns has a way to split the cost of a pizza between a few people through Venmo. Never used it because I'm a fatass and order XLs for myself. It's very convenient.

I just looked at what you guys were talking about (re: PP) and looks like it's just a record of companies you bought from in the past that have your CC info "stored for future use" - likely when you tick the "Save for future purchases" tick box at checkout, so lazy people (like myself) don't have to retype the same info down the road at the same company. Now companies with recurring charges may ALSO appear here - which is causing the confusion - but it seems paypal just lumps them all in the same place despite the two billers not being exactly the same thing. Nothing to freak out about IMO. FWIW!

Back