So what do I need to know about BitTorrent?

DragonNOA1

Supreme [H]ardness
Just d/l'ed and installed, now what? Should it being running to download a torrent? What is all this terminology mean? Seeding and tracking? What's this about stopping seeding to stop bandwidth hogging? I don't know what this all means, someone plz help. TIA

Edit: And where are all the downloads at?

Good lord, thats a good one.

First off in no way shape or form do i condone the downloading of illegal or copyrighted material.

Bittorrent is basically a P2P network that breaks up a huge file into a bunch of small, 500k or so, chunks, and sends them to in fro in a large swarm. You aren't downloading anything from a central location, you are dling and uling to other users getting that file.

A seeder is a person who has the whole file and is online for distribution
A leecher is a person who is just dling the file
A tracker is a central server that keeps track of all the important info.
Nowadays tho most of the bt apps are going trackerless, meaning there is no central server, its getting its important info right from the swarm, making it internal and very hard ( but not impossible ) to detect.

If you goto google, you can find a myriad of sites that house torrents, once again I won't post any of them here due to legalities. But thats how it works in a nutshell.

Funny I know but thank you for not flaming. We are all beginners at least once. I'll go search the interweb to see what I can find. Thanks again!

No offense meant :) I only said good lord because it was such a broad question. If you need any other answers, feel free to PM me. :)

In addition to cosm's stuff, there are several places you can go to download torrents. For linux distros, linuxiso.org usually offers a link to torrents for most distributions. For a more mixed variety of files try the Pirate's Bay(google it).

Also, a lot of people just download the basic client from bittorrent.com and use that even though it has the one major drawback of only downloading one file per instance of the program. If you want to download more than one file at a time you should try

Azureus

ABC

Both are great clients although I believe that ABC lacks support for trackerless clients at the moment.

The most important thing IMO, for BT that I personally practice as well as try to preach is to always, ALWAYS leave your torrent going after you have fininshed DL'ing whatever it is you are trying to get and give back as much as you have gotten. Become a seeder and share share share. At least that's what I like to do anyway.

Back