• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So what do I do now?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
15,461
So I'm overclocking again, but this time I've backed up and have my hard drives on the extrenal SATA controller. By slowly going up, it seems 235MHz is the best I can do on stock voltages, 1:1 ratio. 236MHz causes it to randomly reboot (out of curiosity, why is this?) What should I do now? Put a memory ratio to see if it's my RAM holding me back? I should I up voltages?

On a side note, what should I use to benchmark/quick test after a sucessful POST? I've been running a 1M run of Super Pi. It gives me a rough idea if it is stable (very rough), and it lets me see the performance increase (I've been seeing seconds being shaved off all evening).

Darn, Prime just failed. What now?

EDIT: Loosening latecies doesn't help, lower RAM speed via multiplier doesn't help. What is causing Prime to fail? Do I need to start giving it juice?

EDIT 2: All right gang, put the vcore up to 1.44ish. Seems to be stable for a bit longer, but still fails. Load it runs around 50C. I can add more MHz with the boosted vcore, but Prime still fails.
 
Since you didn't state what your overclocking I'm guessing it's the cpu in your sig?

P4s shouldn't have a problem doing a 236FSB at stock vcore, so my guess it that it's your memory. What are the timings and vdimm? Also, what PSU do you have?
 
thunderstruck! said:
Since you didn't state what your overclocking I'm guessing it's the cpu in your sig?

P4s shouldn't have a problem doing a 236FSB at stock vcore, so my guess it that it's your memory. What are the timings and vdimm? Also, what PSU do you have?
Antec Truepower II 550W.
Crucial Ballistix DDR-400, 2.6V (tried 2.65V, didn't help), 2.6-3-3-6 (tried 3-3-3-8, didn't help).

EDIT: Dang! Going just a few MHz over causes almost immediate errors in Prime95 (longest I got was 2 minutes @ 210*14)! What should I do? I've increased the vcore to the low 1.4s, and loosened RAM timings to 3-3-3-8. Seems better than before, it's lasted more than 3 minutes.. :rolleyes: Nope, just crashed. "Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" Oh how I hate that error message. :mad:

EDIT 2: All right gang, right now I'm running at 229*14, and what I set in the BIOS as 1.46V. It seems my PSU is undervolting, when set as 1.38V CPU-Z and ABIT EQ were only reporting 1.35-1.37V. This went across the board, it always seemed to report .02-.04V less than what it actually was. I pumped the vcore up to 1.46V, but my programs all report it as 1.42V. Made it through 3 Prime test now, so far so good.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Don't be afraid to bump up your RAM voltage. 2.65V is nothing really.
How do I know if I need voltage to the RAM or the CPU? Are there symptoms I sould look for to find this out? Seems 235MHz is the absolute highest I can go on 1.46 (actually 1.42V) before Prime crashes. Right now I'm running 1:1 ratio, as this RAM supposedly can go REALLY high with loosened latencies and a little extra voltage. Should I up it to 1.48V/2.7V?
 
Do one at a time to keep things simple. Bump up your RAM voltage. 2.7V is still nothing. :p
 
_Korruption_ said:
Do one at a time to keep things simple. Bump up your RAM voltage. 2.7V is still nothing. :p
OK, it seems to be stable right now, it passed the first 1024k self-test of Prime. Currently at:

235.77MHz * 14=3.3GHz
1.46V (only reports ast 1.42V)
1:1 ratio, 2.65V on the RAM, 3-3-3-8 timings

I'm thinking of bumping the vcore and RAM up a notch or two and try to hit 250MHz FSB. I would be quite content at 3.5GHz. Only problem is my temps are 46C idle, and 56C load. How high should I go? I've read that the max safe is 85C, but everyone suggests stopping at 65C. True?

What is AGP voltage, do I need to up it, and if so when do I need to up it?
 
Personally, I wouldn't want to go past 50C even with a prescott. And like the other poster said, keep things simple. You need better cooling..
 
thunderstruck! said:
Personally, I wouldn't want to go past 50C even with a prescott. And like the other poster said, keep things simple. You need better cooling..
I know my HSF is "only" a Zalman 7000, but I kind of thought that have two 120mm fans next to it would make a huge difference (Antec P180). Not true?
 
The abit P4 boards report temps between 8 - 12*C higher than normal. If you are going by what the Abit EQ says, subtract eight from it and that will give you a more true reading of what your temps are.

With the system in my signature (RIG 2) I have it running @ 3.75 (250FSB x15) with 1.5125V on the core, using a Thermaltake Spark7+, it idles at about 45*C (33-37*C) and loads at 56*C (44-48*C)... I am having to run a 5:4 ram divider due to being RAM limited...
 
Didn't see that you got an Abit mobo. I had one when I was on my P4 system and temps were always reported higher than normal. I also had no problem hitting 3.3 from 2.4.
 
What is the highest voltage I should go if I value my hardware? I don't care about it lasting a full 10-20 years, but I would like to get at least 2-3 years out of it for sure.

Prime keeps crashing a little ways into it. I backed down to 230MHz FSB and it's been going stable for 4 hours so far. More voltage and keep going up? If what you say is true, than my temps are only around 45C load.
 
All right, I made it up to 3.5GHz, but it still is not Prime stable! :mad::mad::mad:

250MHz * 14 = 3500MHz @ 1.5125V
CPU/DRAM Ratio = 5/4
RAM = 200MHz, 2.6V, default timings (think it was 2-2-2-7)

As you can see, I pushed the FSB up to 250MHz, and with a multiplier put my RAM back at stock everything. Unfortunately, Prime95 bugs out after a few seconds. I'm scared to put any more vcore on, as I am currently at 58C load (approaching the 65C "danger" zone).
 
Back
Top