So what antivirus/firewall is fast with small footprint?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently running Avast free and Comodo Firewall and using malware-bytes / spy-bot (manually). Was wondering if there was a faster and maybe all-in-one solution that you would recommend from personal experience. Cheers!

In the past 6 years, Avira has been very easy on the footprint for me.

I run AVG for AV. I stick with the Windows firewall.
Most of the add-on software firewalls absolutely SUCK in terms of control over the system.
At least with the Windows firewall I can specify port, program, custom service, etc, across three zones.

Sure, not a lot of outgoing control. Then again, I don't warez, don't hit disreputable sites, etc.

There's no reason to run a 3rd party software firewall. In the modern era your router and ISP firewall are going to protect you against most threats. There's no reason Windows Firewall, which does the exact same thing as any software firewall, isn't good enough. If you were putting your device in a non-protected zone on your router or plugging directly into your cable modem, then the software firewall will play a bigger role.

Regarding AV, Avast is very light and has great detection rates. My suggestion would just switch back to Windows firewall and make no other changes.

Free AV's like Avast, Avira, AVG, etc all have very good detection rates and using them is really just a preference of the UX. If you want something that's a step up you'll have to buy into Kaspersky or Bitdefender, which are the two leaders in protection and performance.

Last edited:
Back