So we finished our website using Dreamweaver MX2004

dslrjunky

2[H]4U
so I helped my cousin finished the website for his church, I got it running via ftp, through x10hosting(dot)com now, now how do I really make it live?? it seem the ftp was really nice since all I did was upload the site change source codes and it is up and running now, my problem is that it since it is free and ftp it has a long web address just to get to the site.., now how do I go about making it live? Thanks...

you can go to godaddy.com or whatever and register a domain name. then point the @ record to the server's IP address. done

If you built your own server, and you can get to it by typing xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, then you put that IP into the godaddy domain name. So if you can put your "ftp IP" into your browser and it works, then yes.

If it's a good site SEO-wise and you keep it running for a while a google search for the name of the church will prolly bring it up.

If you're looking for a free option you can go to http://no-ip.com and get a free web redirect. (there are a couple other free redirect services as well) It'll be something like
http://(subdomain of your choice).no-ip.biz, so not a whole lot better than the free host addy. (they have about 20 other domains to chose from which you can prepend your choice of subdomain to.)

OR, if you wanna pay a little bit for a domain you can do that, as Fark said. They should be able to point it to a domain, or IP + directory, or whatever's necessary in the case of your free host.

Once you uploaded it, its now live.

If you wanted a shorter domain: purchase one from godaddy or namecheap (blahchurch.org)

Than get some cheap web hosting for about 4 dollars a month, and log into your Godaddy/namecheap account and change the domain DNS ip's to the one provided by your web host when you signed up.

Upload your website via the FTP info giving to you by your web host. Thats it very simple.

thanks!!! I'm really noob on this and built the site just by going through a series of reading materials...

i think i finally grasp the concept of what you guys are saying... one more thing. do I have to change any source codes within the site to reflect the new domain name when I purchase one?also do i have to use their ftp site?thanks...

do I have to change any source codes within the site to reflect the new domain name when I purchase one?
Nope.. see. your files are hosted on where ever you have it.. a domain name is essentially an index to that spot.. it tells someone's browser when they type in your purchased domain that the data REALLY comes from your hosting place (the one with the ugly domain name).... Like an index in a book.. the data is not in the index, the index just points to where your can find it in the book.
also do i have to use their ftp site?thanks...

Nope.. you hosting ( where you keep your files) is still the FTP you need to go through. Again the domain name just points where to find them.

i think i finally grasp the concept of what you guys are saying... one more thing. do I have to change any source codes within the site to reflect the new domain name when I purchase one?also do i have to use their ftp site?thanks...

IF you decide at some point to pay for a "real" hosting plan instead of using a free host, then you MAY have to change some code IF some pages use absolute links to internal pages. If all links to internal pages are relative, then no worries. Even if some absolute internal links exist, it's a fairly easy job in TextPad (or other good text editor of your choice) to find and replace all instances of free host domain to your domain in all files in a directory.

As for "using their ftp site"... This is something you'd want to do if and when you decide the free host is no longer gonna cut it.

Keep in mind. You can purchase a domain name, by itself, in which case you'd have no ftp access to any other server except that of you free host.

You can also purchase a hosting plan, in which case you'd likely have ftp, and in some cases, SSH access to the server of your hosting plan. You'd have to upload your entire site to the hosting plan's server.

Many times domain name and hosting plan services are bundled. Just getting a domain name on its own is typically much cheaper than getting a hosting plan with domain name.

Back