So... Q6600 or E6850?

Not all are G0. Lets hope when july22nd comes around. That they will be. But it doesnt mean they will all be G0

It's not a issue. Just check for the right sSpec but with the price reductions, I guess the inventory will move fast enough so the older revision will get out of the market.

Q6600's out now are currently still B3, but the G0 Stepping is due to be released something like a 1 week before these price cuts.

If your buying online you don't have a choice, but if it's retail you can get stepping you want assuming they allow you to look at it.

I'm happy with the Q6600 I already have. Though I may be buying another one after the price cuts to replace my Pentium 965 Extreme Edition.

What is the difference with the stepping, what is stepping? I imagine it has to do with over clocking.

What is the difference with the stepping, what is stepping? I imagine it has to do with over clocking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepping_(version_numbers)

Stepping is a designation used by Intel and AMD to identify how much the design of a microprocessor has advanced from the original design. The stepping is identified by a combination of a letter and a number.

Typically, the first version of a microprocessor comes out with stepping A0. As design improvements occur, later versions are identified by changes in the letter and number. Changes in the number (for example, A3) indicate minor design changes, whilst changes to both the letter and number are made following more extensive changes (for example, B2). Stepping allows consumers and servicers to identify a microprocessor's version

Thought I'd resurrect this thread in light of recent Crysis numbers comparing various quad- and dual-core CPUs. So Crysis isn't exactly living up to the multi-threaded hype. AFAIK, this leaves Supreme Commander as the only game to make significant use of 4 cores. In the previous pages of that HotHardware review, the Q6600 smokes the E6850 in heavily multi-threaded 3D rendering apps as expected. Oh, and it wins in 3DMark06 CPU benchmarks--I know how people love to brag about their 3DMark06 scores :) So if you do a lot of 3D rendering and/or love to pimp your 3DMark06 scores, or if you're into quad-core just to say you have a quad, the Q6600 is a no-brainer. For the rest of us, the choice isn't so clear-cut.

(But on a personal note, if I ever upgrade to an Intel CPU I'll see a massive performance increase regardless of which one I choose. HotHardware kindly put the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ in there for comparison, and it gets absolutely destroyed by Intel's CPUs.)

So who else is there to step up to the multi-threaded challenge? Unreal Tournament 3 and all games based on the UT3 engine, and what else? With UT3's release imminent (today?), it'll be interesting to see the Q6600 vs. E6850 numbers on it.

(But on a personal note, if I ever upgrade to an Intel CPU I'll see a massive performance increase regardless of which one I choose. HotHardware kindly put the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ in there for comparison, and it gets absolutely destroyed by Intel's CPUs.)

Most certainly you will see a massive performance increase; I have recently done a similar upgrade. My change was a slight bit more dramatic, albeit: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (bottom of the line X2) to Core 2 Duo E6850 (top of the line C2D). Still, you should see a good performance increase regardless.

Yup, I'm another that will be upgrading from my AMD 3400. There will be gains no doubt, but I'm still on the fence with the Duo 6850 or Q6600.

I've configured my system with the 6850, but it's not too late to change it if I should. But, you're right. As of now, minimal games taking advantage of the Quad architecture. So should I stay with what I have? Probably. However in 6 months if they start busting out games that support the quad I'm going to be bitter. For a little while anyway.

Yup, I'm another that will be upgrading from my AMD 3400. There will be gains no doubt, but I'm still on the fence with the Duo 6850 or Q6600.

I've configured my system with the 6850, but it's not too late to change it if I should. But, you're right. As of now, minimal games taking advantage of the Quad architecture. So should I stay with what I have? Probably. However in 6 months if they start busting out games that support the quad I'm going to be bitter. For a little while anyway.

get dualcore now, wait until feb/march sell the dualcore and get a yorkfield 4 core.
That is what I am doing.

So who else is there to step up to the multi-threaded challenge?

FSX uses about 1.5 cores on average during use and spikes at 100% of all cores for 10+ seconds every minute pre-loading upcoming scenery. Additionally, all cores are used when loading flight scenarios, making the quad core literally twice as fast as a dual during this event. Also, since you often run addons that also chew core time, more cores is better for this title. Whilst average FPS doesn't suffer that much having 2 vs 4 core with FSX, it does affect overall game smoothness and clarity of textures loading in the distance.

I'm another one upgrading from a shitty AMD setup! Haha, s939 3200+ to Q6600.

I don't want to swap yet another 680i mobo, and my current one won't oc a quad worth crap, so I am getting an e6850 and am going to oc the poop out of it.. that should be fine for gaming on an SLI rig.. right now I feel a little cpu limited at 3.2ghz on my e6600... hoping to hit 3.8 or more on this new chip.. looking at some water cooling options again also.. I think Alan Wake will be one of the only games coming out which will really take advantage of a quad... are there others? I am not sure.. once 2008 settles in and there are some more interesting SLI mobo options I will then go quad I guess...

I am upgrading from X2 4400+ to Q6600 myself. It on the way and I am looking forward to some nice performance increase. :D

Back