• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

so overclocking really does nothing for real world performance?

I overclock and I get these results...


  • Total voters
    117

wahoyaho

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
514
only boosts benchmarks? :/ i'm just wondering since it seems like most people are saying that
 
if you read some of [H]'s video card reviews you'll see sometimes they get good results (ie upping res or IQ) and sometimes they don't. Totally depends on the game and how far you are able to push your card. This is definately a YMMV thing.
 
I voted 10+ b/c in my systems I overclock the CPU (= higher FSB/memory bandwidth) & GPU and it gives me HUGE performance increases.

and # of fps improvement alone can be misleading. Really it should be %.

B/c if you're benchmarking at 1920x1200 and you were at 20fps, 10 more fps is a 50% improvement (very noticeable too),

or if you're benchmarking at 1024x768 and you go from 200 fps to 210 fps, you're only talking about a 5% improvement. (not noticeable).

For most people if you know your system and have full tested things out, overclocking should be able to provide either one more level of AA and/or AF and/or one setting higher resolution.
 
Overclocking is unlikely to give your card a big enough boost to go up another res level. It may help to squeeze out another level of AA or AF, and almost always helps minimum frame rates in really intensive situations. Its up to each user to find their personal taste. Some users don't think whatever gains they may see are worth the risk of damage to the card and the extra heat. Others put the best coolers they can afford onto their cards, then push them as far as they will go :D
 
got my 6600 gpu oc'd from 300 to 450 and the onboard mem from 550 to 600 and i get about 10fps
 
It really depends on the game you are playing, the settings you are using, and what the bottleneck of your system is. Sometimes I have seen some nice gains, other times a little gain, and other times nothing. You can get some big gains from tweaking your settings and drivers.
 
I've got my X800GTO2 opened up to 16 pipes, running at X850XT speeds, and the clock speeds alone put my Q4 timedemo up from 65 to 80fps. And I know that the game's limited to 60fps, but it comes into its own when it's all kicking off in the middle of a large arena.
 
when overclocking, I don't care about Peak fps or Average fps, all I care about is Minimum fps. I overclock for those moments where the fps dips down below 40ish, thats usually when the firefights are the most intense and the fps rate is the most important.
 
Rabidfox said:
when overclocking, I don't care about Peak fps or Average fps, all I care about is Minimum fps. I overclock for those moments where the fps dips down below 40ish, thats usually when the firefights are the most intense and the fps rate is the most important.


QFT
 
I don't like the choices. The games could be more or less GPU dependant or CPU dependant. I would rather have seen percentages of framerates than actual framerate differences.
 
Are we talking video overclocking or anything overclocking? :confused:

I guess it would also depend on what game we're talking about, too.
 
Hehe try to tell me that oc'ing my cpu from 2.0ghz too 2.6ghz and my 7800gt from 400/1000 to 451/1200 didnt pick my frames up :) heck from stock in doom3 max settings went from 57frames to 103 at 1280x960 uh ya it helps trust me :) Btw look at most video cards and even cpu's its the core/clock frequency that determines the speed like for example 6800gt vs 6800ultra the ultra is 10% faster with faster gpu/mem clocks and amd x2 64 2.0 ghz is 3800 2.4ghz is 4800 make a huge difference... overclocking is the computer savy guys hardon(ocp) :)
 
Well when I get my x800GTO^2 I will see a huge performance gain when it's unlocked and overclocked.
More like 20+ FPS
 
I agree with what others have said. Overclocking WILL help your gaming performance. It just depends on the game. You may see a 5 fps impovement in one game and a 15 fps increase on another.

I'm still not sure why there are so many anti-benchmarking people out there. People will go on about how worthless it is and blah blah blah......

I have found benchmarks to be a very useful tool for tuning my machine for optimal gaming performace.

It's all about getting your machine to look as nice and play as smooth as possible.
 
my pc stock....

1833mhz athlon 64venice
400/500 x800gto2

vs my pc overclocked

2600mhz athlon 64venice
540/600 x800gto2 with unlocked pipes

yes overclocking makes a HUGE difference for me :)
 
Back
Top