So my Vista OEM came with a hardware...

Oohah

Weaksauce
I ordered Windows Vista OEM through ebay last week and it arrived this morning with a D-Link fast ethernet adaptor inside the package. Do I need to install the hardware in order for the installation to go smoothly?

Thanks in advance! :D

no...but if you ordered it for a reason then i'd install it before you install the OS

your oem vista came with a D-Link adapter? are you trying to install D-Link drivers onto a vista machine? I don't understand what you're asking...

As far as I know I only ordered Vista but the listing says "Any hardware REQUIRED to be distributed with this product IS INCLUDED WITH THE PURCHASE OF THIS ITEM."

So what does that mean???

ah so they thru it in to make it a legal sale. in that case no you don't have to install it. you can sell it here on the FS/FT forums if you wanted lol.

OEM versions cannot be purchased alone. They have to be purchased with actual hardware. The NIC card was included to make the purchase kosher by Microsoft's rules. That's it. You can use the NIC card as a Christmas ornament if you want. It's basically the same rules that have applied for XP OEM purchases as well.

apparently whoever you ordered your OEM disc from was also required to sell hardware with it because OEM discs are supposed to be for system builders only... the hardware is not required for your computer though... can anyone back me up on the this? I figure that would be the only reason they would send him something with the disc...

All OEM versions of Windows must be sold with a piece of hardware. There's nothing that says WHAT the hardware is either. Not a full system, and not any specific part of one. So often times when sellers are selling "OEM" copies of Windows you'll find that they bundle it with any number of items such as a hard drive, video card, lan adapter, memory, and I've even seen it bundled with a power cord.

Bundling with a piece of hardware just makes it "legal" for them to sell an OEM copy instead of a Retail.

Simply sounds like a stupid action by a vendor who doesn't know what he/she is doing. Plenty of vendors are selling OEM Vista without accompanying hardware, and Microsoft has openly stated that it is not concerned about imposing restrictions in this regard because there will be lots of owner/builders who want an OEM copy of Vista for their system.

Some vendors have been used to restrictions being imposed in the past, and have simply not kept themselves up to date with recent developments.

Edit: Scrub that. It's a terms of use restriction eBay has in place, and is specific to eBay

Back