• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So my retention bracket broke...

Tom128

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
246
I was removing my Zalman 9500 from my mobo and replacing it with my Phenom 9600BE's stock cooler (selling most of my rig to a friend, keeping my Zalman). When I went to put on the stock cooler, the tab on the bracket broke of completely. Luckily my parents have a socket AM2 mobo and a cooler that uses all 6 tabs and not just the middle two, so I was luck enough to be able to swap theirs with mine (since they could use the 5 unbroke tabs) and all is well.

What I am posting for is, what sort of options do I have if I had not been lucky enough to have the same socket as my parents mobo? I looked, there are NO Socket AM2/AM2+ replacement retention brackets anywhere. Furthermore, having seen this happen I am a bit worried to put my Zalman on my next mobo since it also uses the middle two tabs and is more stress. It worked before but it seems it was going to break at any time. I can't seem to find a replacement stock bracket, let alone something stronger. Any idea for where to get a more powerful bracket, or even just a replacement stock one if I ever ran into this again?
 
Back
Top