So my friend asked me to build him a comp...

Build looks decent other than the Thermaltake PSU and lack of PCi-e.

Get used to being tech support.

Yeah.. I am really hoping it never breaks down. I spend enough time fixing my own computers.

As far as the lack of PCI-E, he really has no need for it. I understand it's keeping up with technology but he won't have to upgrade for a long long time.

Also, I have never built a PCI-E computer therefore I don't really want to bother having to try something new.. when it's not my computer

What's wrong with the PSU?

Thanks for the help.

Get an NF4 board, with PCI-E.

Id get a PSU that can hold its own weight.

Get a case that looks less retarded.

Ok. I'm going to re-work the build.

The problem is, he loves those kinds of cases. I suggested a simple sleek case: coolermaster, etc. Oh well...

I'm not too educated when it comes to PCI-E so can someone suggest a decent motherboard/videocard for PCI-E. He doesn't need to overclock..

Thanks a lot for the help. He is hoping to order this puppy tonight!!

I would prefer to see a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard in there.

I have that very same hard drive, and you need to be aware that in idle mode it is very quiet, but when the disc is working, it's quite noisy. I'm planning on replacing it, as my system is utterly silent, except for that &^%^%$(*&^ing hard drive!

For a PCI-E card, maybe a 6600GT, 6800GT, or 7800GT. I say, go with either EVGA or BFG, If it was me, go with EVGA.

If he doesnt want to OC, why the XMS Ram? Just get some Corsair Value.

Also, what about the OS, or does he already have one? Everyone must have a spare one cause I never see that included in the price.

Edit: Why not spend $10 more and get the Mx518, I think it would be worth it.

Thanks for the help.

As far as the RAM, the XMS has lower timings than the Value RAM don't they? He is a big gamer therefore he needs the extra performance.

He already has Windows XP Pro SP2 through his school.

I'll up him to the MX518.

Any ideas as far as 17" LCD Refurbished?

Thank you

hmmm nice components... why not premium instead of deluxe mobo? Also, that PSU is WACK, very chincy for a system like that... see if you can find a PCP&C, Seasonic, or enermax instead of that one...

DO NOT GET THAT POWER SUPPLY! YOU WILL KILL THE SYSTEM!!!

it does NOT have enough power on the 12v to run that rig.

i suggest the antec neopower480. very solid unit. the tt480 killed my a64 system, surged teh 5v and blew my board up. stay far, far away from tt's shitty power supplies.

also, that POS isnt a 24pin PSU. you need a 24pin psu for an NF4 board, 20 pin units often cause instability.

memory timings will not affect gaming that much (especially with a64. the memory controller is already such low latency that it doesnt matter at all waht timings are). like 2fps, maybe. get a nice 2x1gb set, the fact that youll be able to run 1T will matter much more than lower latency timings. a64's dont like 4x512mb at 1T

also, corsair rates their latencies on intel systems. anything they rate cas2 is cas2.5 on amd systems.

and i dunno if would get a refurb LCD from newegg, it might very likely have dead pixels...

Thanks a lot! lithium AIMed me right before my friend bought the system. THANK YOU lithium!

Phew..

So now I'll re-work that list and I'll post it again a little later for some final thoughts.

lithium726 said:
DO NOT GET THAT POWER SUPPLY! YOU WILL KILL THE SYSTEM!!!

it does NOT have enough power on the 12v to run that rig.

i suggest the antec neopower480. very solid unit. the tt480 killed my a64 system, surged teh 5v and blew my board up. stay far, far away from tt's shitty power supplies.

also, that POS isnt a 24pin PSU. you need a 24pin psu for an NF4 board, 20 pin units often cause instability.

memory timings will not affect gaming that much (especially with a64. the memory controller is already such low latency that it doesnt matter at all waht timings are). like 2fps, maybe. get a nice 2x1gb set, the fact that youll be able to run 1T will matter much more than lower latency timings. a64's dont like 4x512mb at 1T

also, corsair rates their latencies on intel systems. anything they rate cas2 is cas2.5 on amd systems.

and i dunno if would get a refurb LCD from newegg, it might very likely have dead pixels...

Agreed. Thermal"break" as I like to call them, suck. Terrible Tech support, and shotty products. and 2x1GB would be optimal vs. 4x512MB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AMD 64's "only" run those at 2T command rate. And yes, the Neopower is a better choice. Listen to this guy.

I never suggest anything other than a SeaSonic psu. They are the only psu manufacturer that produce 80% efficient psus, plus theyre quiet. That themaltake isnt so "silent". Not to mention, you get what you pay for when it comes to psus. 36 bucks for a 420w psu is very iffy. Hence the 65% efficiency and what the previous poster said. That thermaltake psu is only 10w more efficient than a seasonic 330w, funny isnt it? Try this instead:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817151023

yeah... i def wouldve done sata though...

burst transfers are much faster, and it gets rid of cable clutter.

Yeah, I figured I'd take the safe way out. I was reading up and a lot of SATA HDDs require extra configuration, etc. It's not my computer to fool around with. Either way, this thing is going to be a beast.

Back