So my friend and I are trying to play Starcraft online together...

But here's the thing: we are both on different computers in the same house, and are sharing a router. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but because we share a router our computers have the same IP address, correct? Well, my friend thinks that is the problem--our computers have the same adresses.

If it helps whenever he tries to host a game online, I can't join it. And when I host the game and he joins it, it shows he has lag and he's never able to load the map. Basically we can't play online.

So what I'm asking is is that the problem? And if so, will changing the IP on one computer fix the problem? It seems as though the two will always have to share an IP but I'm no expert on networking.

I tried doing this a while back, I remember reading about it and it turns out Starcraft something along the lines that B.net can't handle the host and a player using the same IP address.

You can try to get additional IP addresses from your ISP or just play a LAN game.

Warcraft 3 would work in this situation I believe.

Does starcraft use directplay? If so, something called DXPort might help you out.

I assume its more than just the two of you playing.

Another option is GIT, sends IPX packets over the net, skip battle.net all together.

Alright, I downloaded GIT, but still suffer from the same problems (perhaps except for the fact that when I host on the computer I use we're actually able to get into the game.) It's still laggy to the point that we can't play. Different from last time is that we can just play each other online as opposed to on just a LAN.

If you have any idea what might be causing this, or if you want some information on my configuration or whatever just say the word.

hmm...

ping your bud.
"ping 192.1681.232 -t -l 65500"

Lets see how many drop over a period of a few minutes, an hour, whatever floats your boat. Lets start there.

Alright, I'll try that when I get home--at school right now--but where exactly would I type in this command?

Did I mention I know nothing about networking?

do you just want to have 2 players or more? With 2 players only, doesn't Starcraft have a LAN option?

It does have LAN, and we are even able to play online against each other. But what we really want to do is play other people.

Alright I'll try that command prompt. Hold on one second...

EDIT: "Ping request could not find host 192.1681.232. Please check the name and try again."

Sorry, typo for one, should have been clearer for another.

go to your bud's PC, start, run, cmd, press enter.

type ipconfig.

Go back to your PC, type "ping x.x.x.x -t -l 65500" replacing the x.x.x.x with your bud's IP. Lets see what you get.

alright, well it doesn't seem to be changing so I'll just post what I got after about a minute or two:

Pinging x.x.x.x with 65500 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from x.x.x.x: bytes=65500 time=12ms TTL=64

And I think you get the idea. It's just doing that and never changing. I'm assuming that you don't need my IP address ;)

You need to be more clear. Don't say "online" say "on battlenet," it is ambiguous for the situation.

If you are trying to use battlenet, and still unable to join, you probably have a port forwarding issue (or battlenet can't do the same IP) as the second and third posters pointed out.

If you are trying to do a lan game inside the house and want people outside to be able to join, you have to use battlenet or the illegal alternatives (which i won't mention as I like being allowed to post here)

you can both play online at the same time as long as you are not BOTH in the same game.
Incorrect: we can both play in the same game as long as no one else is in it. We haven't tried playing in different games yet but I assume that will also work.
If you try to join your friend's game, or the other way around, problems arise.
Correct: but only if other people are also in the game. I cannot join a game he makes because it says that it timed out or it was too laggy or something like that. If he tries to join my game we will both display some lag in the lobby and some serious lag in the actual game.
You have home high-speed internet access with no extras.
Correct: very good DSL. I don't know what you mean by extras though...
You have a device that allows you to share your internet connection so that more than one person can use it at one time.
Correct: we are using a 2Wire router/modem combo.

You can have multiple people behind a NAT router play on battle.net at the same time, even in the same game. I've tried it, and it worked fine.

I once attempted a game with two other people, where two of us were sharing dialup with windows ICS. That didn't work too well though, it was too damn slow.

Enable port forwarding for the following:

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

There was also an issue in Warcraft III where you needed to go into 'Gameplay Options' and assign a different port to each client on your LAN. The default was 6112 - so machine #2 would need to be changed to 6113. Apparently Blizzard removed/never-implemented this feature in Starcraft because they believe the game to be "NAT Friendly" even though it is not. There is a way you can try and get around this by performing the following:

StarCraft is not designed for several PCs sharing the same internet connection.
There is a non-supported way, though, which may work out for you. It will require you to modify the Windows Registry. If you are not familiar with editing the registry, ask someone for help.

On one computer of your choice click Start, Run..., type "regedit" and press Enter.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net and click on "Configuration". On the right half of the window do a right-click and create a new DWORD value. Call it "Game Data Port".
Then right-click on the newly created value and select "Modify".
In the new window, click on Decimal (not Hexadecimal) and enter 6113 as value.
Apply the settings, then close the registry again.

This computer will now use port 6113 on Battle.net (applies to StarCraft and maybe to Diablo II as well, but definitely not to Warcraft III).
Repeat the procedure for any additional computers that may be behind the router, but use a different port value then (6114, 6115, 6116, ...). Keep in mind that each computer will have to have a different port value assigned.
The default port value is 6112, so one computer will use this port by default, which is perfectly fine (since you will not need to modify anything here! :) ).

In addition, please make sure that ports 6112 up to 6119 TCP/UDP are forwarded ("opened") on your router. Your router's manual and/or the the manufacturer's website surely offer help on how to forward ("open") ports.
Hope that helps...

It appears from the above posts that this game does support multiple clients from the same IP address...as some older games didn't.

Another common issue...is wether or not the router supports "loopback"..that's...where you can start from within your network...go outside the network (towards the internet)..and come back into your network. The means of how you join this game in server mode...may impact this.

Orinthical said:
Enable port forwarding for the following:

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

There was also an issue in Warcraft III where you needed to go into 'Gameplay Options' and assign a different port to each client on your LAN. The default was 6112 - so machine #2 would need to be changed to 6113. Apparently Blizzard removed/never-implemented this feature in Starcraft because they believe the game to be "NAT Friendly" even though it is not. There is a way you can try and get around this by performing the following:

Hope that helps...
I can't try it yet--a lot of homework needs to be done--but I have a good feeling about this. I'll be back with the results later. :)

EDIT: Alright, apparently that didn't fix it. I still expirienced lag. :(

Are you forwarding the ports on your router? Or did you just do the regedit part?

I did both, although I don't think I opened the ports on the other computer. The system didn't allow me to because of some other open ports on this computer. I can fiddle with that a bit more though.

Oh, and also (you guys are probably going to kill me for not mentioning this) we actually have 3 computers in our house, but we only use two of them (we have a downstairs neighbor who also uses his computer through our ISP.) He isn't directly connected to my 2Wire router though. May that have an effect on what we're dealing with?

EDIT: Alright, we just did the same thing with Diablo II (buying two copies of the game so we can play together) and it works just fine with us and other players in the same game. Not sure if Diablo is just designed so that it can work or if something is helping it.

Back