So much for RAID 10! can someone help?

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
I created a RAID 10 array for my server on an intel ICH10R, one of the drives dropped out while it was running (my own stupid fault), the server rebooted, and now I have one member disk with "error", the other 3 are green but the array has come up as failed and not bootable...

WTF? I thought that if 1 disk dropped off the array would be failed but still bootable, and it would rebuild if I replaced the disk? so WTH do I do now? there is no rebuild option in the CRTL+I menu, what are my options here? I really don't want to have to restore a 2 day old backup!

ouch another Intel ICH10R problem. Invest in a good add in RAID card when you can. Leave that software junk alone.

From the last sentence in your post . It does look like you backed up your data. At least you are safe from that error.

Windows built in software RAID can recover from a failure like this, so why can't Intel RAID?

I just had an idea, when I boot off the Windows media, the RAID volume shows there as an option to install/recover to, I'm just thinking, if I load up UBCD I should be able to use that to boot to the broken array... they I *may* be able to rebuild the array using the Matrix Storage console...

wish me luck!

Well shit! the data is completely gone, somehow all the partitioning information is gone so I had to restore my backup, lost 3 days worth of emails.

What the hell is the point of having RAID 10 if there is no redundancy, I might as well just set up a 4 disk stripe and be done with it!

I set up my backup software to run every 6 hours now so this BS won't happen again...

the only way you normally loose a raid10 array is if two or more of the four hard drives went down............ or make a user error in recovery....

what did you do to make the disk drop out?

Wait so.. a drive dropped on a raid 10.. and it isn't bootable? Something else definitely happened that is most likely user contributed than the raid controller.

Most people use raid 10 for the reason of 2 drive loss sustainability (in certain situations) with a non parity raid.

I say this out of experience, I run multiple raid 10 arrays on ich10r's with no ill effects, and have lost drives on several of them (even had two die once).

I have an LSI raid controller in my system, I tried to hot swap a hard drive and one of the disks in the RAID 10 array dropped out briefly when I plugged in the new drive, server hung, restarted, dead RAID 10 array...

Some FakeRAID controllers that support RAID1/RAID5 do not support booting the array if the boot disk (disk 1) is gone and the array is degraded. This boot disk also contains the partition table and other stuff. So you would need to apply a different (Linux/BSD) Software RAID engine to it and let it rebuild the first disk from the remaining 3 ones.

Of course, since you formatted/written to your disks, this kind of recovery is no longer possible. The least you should do with a broken fakeRAID array is boot into Ubuntu and see if it recognises your array and let's you see your data. In most cases, with the disks being perfectly fine, the data is all accessible via Linux.

I have an LSI raid controller in my system, I tried to hot swap a hard drive and one of the disks in the RAID 10 array dropped out briefly when I plugged in the new drive, server hung, restarted, dead RAID 10 array...

just so i am understanding this correctly... you removed one disk from your RAID of 4 disks, then upon plugging in a replacement for the first disk; a second disk dropped out?

that could certainly kill the array if both of the drives that dropped were on the same side of the mirror. although as long as you dont write anything to it, it should have been easily recoverable. experience is a harsh teacher, though next time you will know what to do in this situation.

good luck.

Back