So It's Aug 25th......(SP2?)

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
.....do you know where your download of SP2 is? :p

I've been waiting patiently for 6 months to upgrade and here is the release date and nada. What time do they start the auto updates....when Gates gets to work or what? :p

You could have downloaded th network install for a few weeks now. I prefer that option because it can be burned to a CD and re-used. If you wait for Windows Update, it will take longer to install, and you'll have to wait for it everytime you build a system.

Come on, now. It's only 7:30 in WA right now. Gates is still at Starbuck's... in his house.

I d/l'd the network install. Worked perfectly.

Cheers.

arkamw said:
Come on, now. It's only 7:30 in WA right now. Gates is still at Starbuck's... in his house.

Cheers.

lol, that made me chuckle.

Yea, I got the network install and I've been fine for this whole month. :cool:

I thought Windows auto update was supposed to have SP2 on the 25. So far my auto update has not downloaded anything. Winows tells me its on. And I have an always on broadband connection. I thought I read that some people have already gotten thier auto update.

You can always go straight to WindowsUpdate if you're anxious to get it. Automatic Updates is controlled by a Group Policy Object that tells it what time of day to look for updates. You may want to check that and see if you can tell it to go look again - it might have checked at, say, 1AM - not seen it - and won't check until tomorrow at 1AM.

Start>Run>gpedit.msc
Local Computer>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update

If you don't see it, you can grab wuau.adm off MSFT's site and add/remove template in GPEdit.

UMCPWintermute said:
You can always go straight to WindowsUpdate if you're anxious to get it. Automatic Updates is controlled by a Group Policy Object that tells it what time of day to look for updates. You may want to check that and see if you can tell it to go look again - it might have checked at, say, 1AM - not seen it - and won't check until tomorrow at 1AM.

Start>Run>gpedit.msc
Local Computer>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update

If you don't see it, you can grab wuau.adm off MSFT's site and add/remove template in GPEdit.
Just switched to check now, Still nothing.

I thought the release was delayed again to August 29th to implement patches for the security holes that were found in SP2.

I have not read about a delay, but it's quite normal for the release to come out later in the afternoon.

I guess Bill finally made it to work and brought the download with him, but it did have coffee stains on the jacket cover :p Just finished downloading 96 mb and it's installing as we speak....I will be ordering a CD or pick one up in a computer mag later. I want to test this on my test box to see what it is going to hose......

BillLeeLee said:
I thought the release was delayed again to August 29th to implement patches for the security holes that were found in SP2.

The delay wasn't for security holes, it was to give IT admins time to put in place the blockers MS released if they didn't want their users automatically updating to SP2 via windowsupdate. When an SP goes RTM, it don't get changed.

Just finished my SP2 install from Windows Updates. Ended up being a 94.1MB download for my system after the initial advisory window stated 78MB. Went smoothly. I watched the file names flash by as the installation took place and believe I saw at least one DirectX file name even though DX9.0.c was already on the PC. Now..... I'm off to see if the games still run!

That's par for the course then... I recall many updates coming out between 1-3PM CST.

Interestingly enough, I remember seeing somewhere that MS prefers to release updates on Wednesdays unless its an emergency. Why I don't know. I think it was in the SUS documentation... Todays geewhiz fact I guess. :p

Well, Mondays and Fridays are never good days to release anything - Mondays the IT staff staggers in late, hung over from a hard weekend of gaming and drinking. Fridays, the IT staff takes off early to go drink, game, and watch movies.

Weekends are, obviously, right out. So you're left with the middle three days of the week. Out of that, you don't really want to do Thursday, because if something breaks with the update, it means pulling a late shift on Thursday or possible spending more time than you wanted to on Friday at work.

Out of Wednesday or Tuesday, I'm not sure why they picked Wednesday, but so do a lot of companies - McAfee releases their weekly DAT updates Wednesday afternoons or evenings.

OldPueblo said:
The delay wasn't for security holes, it was to give IT admins time to put in place the blockers MS released if they didn't want their users automatically updating to SP2 via windowsupdate. When an SP goes RTM, it don't get changed.

Yep, that's the reasoning we were given as to why the network download was available before the automatic one. We disable automatic updates and windows update anyway on our client machines.

Yep, it has to do with rollouts. Corporations need time before and after a major patch to see how it affects things.

Back