So, it turns out that the Inquirer was right about almost everything.

onetwo

Limp Gawd
The true 16x1, 32x0 pipeline design.

The 12,000 marks in 03.

The dual molex situation and nVidia's recommended power supply requirements.

The dropping of the FX name.

The 200+ million transistors chip design.

Can the rolling of eyes finally stop when an Inquirer article is posted???

You know i posted a few mentions about them being right. No one seemed to notice.

You could argue that the inq guessed everything, but thats kinda stretchin it a bit.

yeah but its wrong for the other 86398 seconds of that day, the Inq was right about most of its claims :).

Chams, if the watch was stopped at say 12:04:44 then it would be right twice a day, namely when the time of day is 12:04:44. His logic is borked though, cuz there have been many more correct claims, then false ones from Inq and others :)

:D :D Do you have any idea how the INQ ended up being correct:

They predicted EVERY possible combination they couldent be wrong, christ look at there ATI predictions, the card could still be anything and powered of a small cold fusion reactor and the inq would still be right as if any where they would have suggested it.

:D :D :D :D :D

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14878
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14972
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13860

Those are the stories I could find in 30 seconds where the Inq says that the nv40 was 8x2 and not a true 16x1. I could go on with other topics, but you get the point.

I should say that I loved reading the inq for the past couple of months, but they really didn't get it "right about almost everything." The only way you can claim that is if you take a part of this story, mix it with a tiny part of that story, and maybe paragraph 4 of this other story, and ignore everything else they ever wrote ;)

edit: also, wasn't it the inq that started the "175 million transistor" rumor? I can't remember.

Sandman is right, they are at best right about 1/2 the things they wrote because they changed their reports more than once.

They predicted EVERY possible combination they couldent be wrong, christ look at there ATI predictions, the card could still be anything and powered of a small cold fusion reactor and the inq would still be right as if any where they would have suggested it.

That sounds right to me. The inquirer has good sources, but they seem to spew out more than they take in.

Have we forgotten that theinq originally said the 6800Ultra would hit 20,000 then 15,000 3DMarks(03)?

Well the 6800 may have 8 pipes. we're not sure yet what the othre versions of that series will have.

The close to launch it got, the closer they got.

Originally posted by Wixard
Well the 6800 may have 8 pipes. we're not sure yet what the othre versions of that series will have.

They were talking about the 6800u (sometimes implicitly) only. The 6800nu will be 12 pipes anyway.

I do agree that the amount of info they post is awesome, and that's what makes it so much fun to read.

christ look at there ATI predictions, the card could still be anything and powered of a small cold fusion reactor and the inq would still be right as if any where they would have suggested it.
That would be very stupid since most of us know that the reactor core isnt coming out till 2006 and how it has its own green glow without any LEDs..Just think,No more connecting a 12v psu line to the video card any more.:p

Originally posted by Wixard

The 6800 has 12 pipelines as noted by NVIDIA at the launch party.

the Inq is an unnofficial tech news site, mostly rumors are posted there. They won't sign NDA's and quite often that leaves them open for misinformation, but the early, sometimes accurate information is posted. If they signed NDA's, they would then be held legally accountable for the rumors that are right.

Rumors have the possibility of being correct, so on occasion the Inq is right on target, sometimes they're not. Interesting read, nonetheless, but taken with a grain of salt.

If someone links there to prove their argument, it shows their own lack of credibility. On the other side of the argument, to bash the Inq is kinda pointless, as 90% of the news posted there is rumors and told as such. Go there knowing that the story may be BS and live out your days in peace.

I could have wrote that same idea 0ldman, but it wouldn't have sounded half as good as you put it.

:)

Originally posted by 0ldman
the Inq is an unnofficial tech news site, mostly rumors are posted there. They won't sign NDA's and quite often that leaves them open for misinformation, but the early, sometimes accurate information is posted. If they signed NDA's, they would then be held legally accountable for the rumors that are right.

Rumors have the possibility of being correct, so on occasion the Inq is right on target, sometimes they're not. Interesting read, nonetheless, but taken with a grain of salt.

If someone links there to prove their argument, it shows their own lack of credibility. On the other side of the argument, to bash the Inq is kinda pointless, as 90% of the news posted there is rumors and told as such. Go there knowing that the story may be BS and live out your days in peace.

Good words of wisdom.

Funny --> the poeple that don't like what the INQ is reporting
STILL go there to read what they have to say :) :)

Originally posted by onetwo
The true 16x1, 32x0 pipeline design.

Can the rolling of eyes finally stop when an Inquirer article is posted???

umm didn't the inq go back in forth like two times between 16x1 and 8x2?

I read some of their articles, but it doesn't mean I 100% believe them.

Like every review and every site. You trust what you want and take your chances if they are wrong. I myself read like 6 or 7 different sites a day to keep up to date on things. If I am going to buy a new hard ware part I read every review that I can find and every forum post from people who has one on it. Then I make up my mind. Buying something from a friends advice or from just one review is stupid.

This goes right with the FanBoy subject also to me. This forum as well as others have a fan base that like mainly one brand over others most times. This forum happens to be ATI and AMD mainly that most people like. If someone post a question like what should I get ? Chances are they will say ATI and AMD. Just go back and look in the history of these forums and see.

When someone ask me that same question most times I will say both brands are good and they need to research it to see what one would be best for them. It all depends on what they do with their computers and such. If it is a graphic card it really matters on what game and all they play on what they should buy.

So the Inquirer is just another site to me. No better no worse than any other. To decided on what is best in your mind you need to read every thing you can on the subject. Both good things and bad as you want to know it all to really make a good choice.
If you only read the good points of a product when you got it you would not be happy. If you only read the bad things on something then when you got something else you have a good chances of not being happy if the other product might have been better for you. I would say both cases happen to people about the same amount. So every one should read every site they can on the subject. Saying one is worse than the other is just showing that you are a fan of something and do not care what one is really better. Why not know for a fact what is what instead of joining the in crowd and getting something or dis liking something just because that is what others have or think ?

All I know is that, despite the fact that no one broke their NDAs, the NV40 specs were somehow not a surprise to me.

I wasn't surprised that it was 16x1.

I wasn't surprised that they dropped the FX from the name.

I wasn't surprised that the power requirements were borderline obscene.

I wasn't surprised that some reviewers were getting ~12,000 marks in 03.

All this came from the Inq either first or exclusively. Sorry Inq haters.

Originally posted by sKiDmArK
umm didn't the inq go back in forth like two times between 16x1 and 8x2?

I read some of their articles, but it doesn't mean I 100% believe them.
Not really.
What I read originally stated it was 16x1, which they said could be Nvidia'ese for 8x2. Shortly after that they came out and said an official source unofficially said it was definately 16x1 or 32x0 which turned out to be correct.

They also posted that the new ATI chip was 12 pipe, which was also correct, just not the entire story. The cheap big dog (R420 methinks) is 12 pipe, the expensive big dog (R423) is 16.

They posted the rumors as the info got to them. Its easy to go back and complain about their accuracy in hindsight, but given the information available at the time the Inq was closer than general speculation.

Shrug the inq is often correct on video cards. But these forums love to say they are lieing. Never been sure why since I find they are fairly accurate about 80% of the time (hehe yeah they are wrong about 1 out 5 times but hey thats pretty good)

Now hehe yes they do mess up exact figures but what do you expect from rumors :-P

Back