So...is it good or what?

Northern

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 7, 2003
Messages
91
Too early to tell on Prescott's? Seems I'll read one thing it will say something I read another it sort of leans the other way. Guess I should wait till it comes out to believe stuff.
Don't know if its been linked but stuff from the source I was reading.

http://www.intel.com/labs/features/mi02031.htm

To all the loong time overclockers out there how does the future look?
 
I guess another question I should be asking is if the first part of Feb is for sure a release date for the processors. Currently I'm on a Pentium 2 396mhz lol. So I'm wanting to build a system badly but I also don't want to buy stuff and have it drop like mad in price within a few weeks.
I was planning on building a system with an Abit mobo and 2.6 or better. If its true on the releases and price reductions I can wait a bit longer. This way I can see what is available. Also the pci-express and ddr2 doesn't look like it will be out till last quarter of this year correct? Not sure on waiting that long but it's possible if its going to be that big of a change in the coming months.
 
Currently I'm on a Pentium 2 396mhz lol. So I'm wanting to build a system badly but I also don't want to buy stuff and have it drop like mad in price within a few weeks.


Im guessing it's OC'd. Man you've been holding out!!!!


I remember paying close to $400for that new 100fsb P2 350, Man the speed 100fsb instead of 66fsb.

While at the computer show i bought a new MB a abit BH6 that everyone seemed to love ages ago. I put my new 350 in it 100fsb fan good. tried my p2 300 in it left it @ 100fsb forget to clear cmos and HMM booted at 450mhz and ran stable.

Took p3 350 back to computer show, argued with Asian guy for a while, Said it didnt work with my board!! got $400 back!!!

Blew $350 on a 2x CD burner!!!!:rolleyes: Man it could make bad disks one after another!!! Ohh and getting them to play in your car!!! Man and that 5 pack of 2x media for only $14.99!!!

All you you need to know how good it is now on prices!!!
 
wow still on a P2 huh....

Good luck on your transition to computer from your bread box....
if you need any help buliding a new box, were here to help....

sigh... still on a p2...
i didnt even know people still used 56ks's much less P2's

you are a trooper
 
The new house i bought 8 months ago wasnt the one i wanted. Couldnt get cable or DSL at that one!!!

If i had to use 56k i'd find a new interest.
 
56k is pretty common around here. I refuse to use it but there are still alot who do. Its 19.99 for 300 hours dialup or 29.99 for unlimited (duh) 768k DSL.
 
For the longest time I was on dial up (1997 - 2001) spanning my P1 133 (28.8 modem with a 33.6 too???), which cost me $2200, then my P4 1.3 Willy, with the 56K modem (huge improvement over the P1's modem). Then I finally came to college and could use the onboard LAN of the P4's mobo, and cable internet prices dropped in my hometown, but now they're increasing again ($45/month, no cable modem (good thing I have my own), and 1.5mbps/300KB/s connection, though my downloads were capped at 30 KB/s).

Using a PII is painful for sure. I just fixed my friend's girlfriend's comp, a PII 450, with 128 MB of RAM that could pass a whopping 250 MB/s!

As for the actual question, the first batch of Prescotts look to be slower than their Northwood brethren clock for clock, but we'll have to see the reviews and benchies before passing judgment.

Soon though, you might be able to build a comp that is measured in gigahertz, not paltry megahertz. :D
 
Back
Top