So is it finally time for me to go Vista?

Xenomaniac

[H]ard|Gawd
As we all know, Windows 7 should be out probably around the end of this year (don't take my word for it, this is just hear say). Well I've been playing around with XP for a very very long time and I have yet to make the move to Vista. I was thinking about purchasing Vista and getting the Ultimate edition. Should I finally make the move or just wait for Windows 7?

It all depends on your budget, and if you plan to move to Windows 7 right when it is released. I couldn't imagine waiting this long to go to Vista, to be honest, though.

If you do decide to go with Vista, I wouldn't go with Ultimate, unless you absolutely need all those features.

No, it's time to stay with whatever you have now for a bit longer then get Windows 7, simple.

Don't bother, Vista sucks, Win7 is much better.

Oh the irony of your post :rolleyes:

But yeah, to the OP; while Vista 64 does NOT suck and is very good for gaming, Windows 7 is slated to be released soon so it's not worth buying Vista now. If you can, just wait it out and then grab Windows 7.

Heard it was better for gaming. This not true?

lol, thats a load of bullshit....

get vista if its worth it to you (or if you can find a wicked cheap deal on it)

otherwise... im sure XP can limp along just fine for another 6 months or so until 7 is out

Ultimate is generally regarded as a waste of money. I only use it because I got it for free.

There is nothing wrong with Vista so feel safe in using it.

Reading through this and numerous other Vista/Windows 7/XP posts, I've reached the conclusion that the majority of people lauding Windows 7 now are simply the people who bashed Vista based on FUD etc and most likely never used it. Then they try Windows 7 (cos it was a free download) and realise just how much better than XP it is. While it is a progression from Vista, fundamentally a lot remains the same or very similar.

Vista in itself is a sound and tested OS. Great for gaming and general use. And no reason not to get it just now (but not ultimate, HP 64 will suit just fine). Unless you're happy with getting a brand new OS virtually on the day of release.

7 (6.1) : Vista (6.0) :: XP (5.1) : 2000 (5.0)

correction: 2000 (4.0) --er nevermind, 2000 was NT5. I've been under the impression it was 4 all this time...

And actually if you ping CMD for windows 7 build information it returns something along the lines of Vista 6100.

I like vista.

But then, I'm the type of guy who had all his ammo lined up to mow down the PS3 fanboys, and when the PS3 was recieved with such criticism I actually defended it. Theres a whole fanboy riddled discussion here, but the Cell really is a pretty slick piece of silicon --It just doesn't get used :(

I guess I just don't like to see bashing on products where bashing isn't deserved. Vista is one such case. 4GB of ram and 2+GHz Core 2 and Vista gives you a mighty nice experiance. 2GB is cutting it close, and on 1GB it just isn't any fun. Along the same lines an old Athlon 64 or Pentium D will give you a little trouble.

The main bashes on Vista are for its memory footprint: Vista boots up PNP printer drivers regardless of weather the PC has ever seen a printer. Vista boots up all sorts of crazy networking protocalls weather you use them or not. Vista does this and that weather you want it or not. And that brings the memory footprint up from 300MB to 700MB. Right now I'm "idling (standard desktop stuff)" in 2.12GB. Why run all that crap? I guess Microsofts un-official answer is why not? Boot times increased, but overall performance at desktop is impacted pretty minimally, and they want you to be able to plug whatever you want into that USB port and for it to just work. Regardless of what it is. All these processes shove-off when something useful actually needs that space (but with 4GB, or modern Ci7's 6GB, theres always room to spare).

While it is a progression from Vista, fundamentally a lot remains the same or very similar.

Having used Vista for over a year on various hardware and recently checking out the Win7 beta I can tell you that Win 7 is a much needed improvement over Vista. While 85% of it is the same, the 15% they did change makes for a much better overall experience. They fixed UAC, fixed Explorer, reduced memory caching, cleaned up the GUI, slimmed down the install footprint, made the UI more quicker and responsive, better categorized and organized system menus, faster boot, faster shutdown. In comparison I'd never go back to Vista, I'd rather use XP.

Actually I'd rather use Linux, but given the lack of native apps, I'll take the lesser of two evils with Win7. :p

Reading through this and numerous other Vista/Windows 7/XP posts, I've reached the conclusion that the majority of people lauding Windows 7 now are simply the people who bashed Vista based on FUD etc and most likely never used it. Then they try Windows 7 (cos it was a free download) and realise just how much better than XP it is. While it is a progression from Vista, fundamentally a lot remains the same or very similar.

Vista in itself is a sound and tested OS. Great for gaming and general use. And no reason not to get it just now (but not ultimate, HP 64 will suit just fine). Unless you're happy with getting a brand new OS virtually on the day of release.

The funny thing is some people think Windows 7 is drastically better than Vista. Yeah, sure, it is in a way, but....well, it's amazing what a name change can do. :p

Personally, either Vista64 or Win7 64 are both awesome.

go with vista for now because initially win7 will face some driver and software issue. :)

I was initially dead set to use win7 for my core i7 build but after some drive incompatibility with day to day use of setpoint and my merc keyboard, I went to vista 64.

As a die hard win xp guy, I'd have to say I was wrong about vista after SP1.

Now I'm recommending it for future OS until win7 comes out officially.

go with vista for now because initially win7 will face some driver and software issue. :)

From what I am hearing, *many* (not all) Vista drivers will work on Win7. That is similar to how *many* Win2k drivers worked for XP. Yeah there will be some hardware out there with no drivers, but not as much as people think.

I own Vista Home Premium. I hate it. I hate it very much. That's why it's not on my gaming rig. Tell me I get the same/better framerates in Vista 64 as I do in XP 32. Yeah. Lie to me.

Windows 7 on the other hand, actually has good performance (as of beta, anyway...) and useful UI improvements. Vista most certainly is a ploy between MS and hardware manufacturers. Fact. No debate required.

"Windows Vista Certification" anyone?

Vista in itself is a sound and tested OS. Great for gaming and general use.

Personally, either Vista64 or Win7 64 are both awesome.

I agree with both of these statements. Vista is a solid OS. Win 7 looks like a new version of the OS-- they were built from similar or the same code-base-- which looks to be a plus when Win 7 comes out. Since it isn't out yet, if you're looking for an OS now then Vista 64-bit is a good choice.

Go with Vista now, it is a solid OS and provides nice improvements over XP. Make sure you get a x64 version but don't waste money on Ultimate. My only issue with Vista at this point is that I cannot get the Creative Xfi drivers to work quite right, but they work well enough.

Also, follow the path of least resistance and wait till Win 7 SP1 is released before upgrading (anybody got an estimated date on that yet?).

I heard a lot of negative things about Vista when it first came out. I expect the same to happen with Win7. As soon as SP1 came out for Vista, I heard a lot of positive things. I am thinking about upgrading over the summer. The only thing I use my computer for is gaming and recording my mixes (I'm a DJ). Based on the rig, should I get more ram before I make the jump to Visa 64?

VGA EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR 8800GT 512M, MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9, PSU TT|W0100RU 500W RT, MEM 1Gx2|TRANS JM2GDDR2-8K R, CPU INTEL|PDC E2160 1.8G 775 1M R OC @ 3.0G, HD 160G|WD 7K 8M SATA2 WD1600AAJS, Liteon SOHW-1693S 16X DVD Dual Drive (Black)

If the hardware can take it, it's always a good idea to grab more RAM. More stuff the OS can load for you quicker and more stuff that you can do at once without lag.

If the hardware can take it, it's always a good idea to grab more RAM. More stuff the OS can load for you quicker and more stuff that you can do at once without lag.

First thing I do with every machine I buy is max out the RAM. It's usually rather cheap and always worth it.

i would only go for the vista if u see a really cheap buy in order to have win upgrade cheaper. i would jump for anything under 60.

I hated vista at first, but now service packs later and beefy hardware, it looks and runs great.
Need to disable lots of annoying stuff in the OS to make it enthusiast usable still, however it is worth it in the end.

I still wouldn't buy vista right now if win7 will be here in 6mo tho.

errr... the driver models in win7 are identical to vista. most and nearly all vista drivers work in win7. (shhhh, its a secret, but, win7 actually IS vista with some modifications!)

but i also agree, with win7 so close to rtm, you might as well wait. unless you can grab a copy of vista for like $50...

errr... the driver models in win7 are identical to vista. most and nearly all vista drivers work in win7. (shhhh, its a secret, but, win7 actually IS vista with some modifications!)

but i also agree, with win7 so close to rtm, you might as well wait. unless you can grab a copy of vista for like $50...

QFT.

Also, if you've waiting this long, you might as well wait a little longer for Win7. I had Vista when it first came out. I had issues for about a month, but some updates later and I've been using it for like 2 years and don't even have an XP machine in my house anymore. I've never been against Vista. I like new things and realized how much more I liked Vista after going back to XP (especially for media purposes).

Driver wise the only real issue I foresee are the possible bugs and what not with the changes made to accommodate multi vid drivers. Worst case we may see the whole vid BSOD fiasco all over again.

dont bother with waiting on win 7. that OS will contain more bugs and issues then vista at its current state. there has never been a OS that was released bug free from MS

Thanks. you see,any OS is not worth getting in its first year in the retail. i can live with bugs from lesser apps and in some cases, games but when it comes to a fully fledge OS, i am not touching it untill most bugs and issues are fixed

Thanks. you see,any OS is not worth getting in its first year in the retail. i can live with bugs from lesser apps and in some cases, games but when it comes to a fully fledge OS, i am not touching it untill most bugs and issues are fixed

Whats funny is, I was running Vista x64 Ultimate since RTM, with no issues. No BSODS, no driver incompatibility, no little querks. It just worked. When I bought my machines, I made sure what I was buying would do right with Vista. From there on, all i really had to do was purge some software from my library.

From what I understand, Windows 7 is seen as = Vista w/ SP2

( which explains why it works so well ).

So there's absolutely no gaming benefit from Vista Ultimate 64 than there is from Home 64?

Does anyone have recommendations on a place to get Vista Home 64 on the cheap?

dont bother with waiting on win 7. that OS will contain more bugs and issues then vista at its current state. there has never been a OS that was released bug free from MS

There has never been an OS that was released bug free FROM ANYBODY.

Fixed, a second time to drive the point home. ;) Hell, Vista is only coming up on SP2 in 2 years of release... OSX is what... how many bug fixes in? Coming up on 10.5.7, in 1.5 years of release... 7 "service packs"? Uh huh, thought so. Don't even get me started on Linux... :p

Waiting for SP1 for every OS, eh? Damn, must be hell living behind the curve like that... oh well, have fun in the slow lane... :D

Holy shit. There's so much misinformation around here it's ridiculous.

Heard it was better for gaming. This not true?
Whoever told you that needs to be sent to a work camp.

Also, follow the path of least resistance and wait till Win 7 SP1 is released before upgrading (anybody got an estimated date on that yet?).
The "wait until SP1" theory is long gone. Vista was a fine OS at release. The ONLY thing waiting for SP1 did was simply that: waiting.
All it amounted to was giving third-party developers time to get their crap together. SP1 wasn't a magical fix.

And Windows 7 is based so much on Vista (Same kernel version, same requirements) that all the drivers will carry over. It's basically Vista Refresh. Waiting for SP1 is just ignorant at this point, especially since the Beta has been the best Beta software I have ever used to-date.

Minor things? Yes. I think 0.0001% of the install base will notice it though. You've apparently not run the Beta yourself. The Beta looks like a final release.

From what I understand, Windows 7 is seen as = Vista w/ SP2

( which explains why it works so well ).
Technically speaking since Vista SP2 is already scheduled, it'd be SP3.
But yea, it's essentially minor improvements. More than anything, it's a name other than Vista.

Heck, Windows Mojave showed that Microsoft could've just released Vista as-is with a different name and people think it's great.

Back