so is [H] doing a 4870x2 review?

They are usually late due to their methods. But if you just want raw numbers all the other review should be enough.

back in the day there would have been a review up at 12:01am...but i think Kyle is getting old :p

...christ and that means I'm getting old, since i wouldn't have stayed up to read it.

I bet we'll see one in a day or two.

The preview said enough for me, and there are a ton of good reviews up today from sites that are pretty honest. However most of the stuff I read today, while good, still didn't always compare apples to apples.

The reviews here are pretty exhaustive and it probably just isnt done yet.
Maybe Kyle and Brent just worked the card so [H]ard it broke.:eek::eek:

Coverage forthcoming, in the meantime check out the very thorough preview, major differences are newer drivers and newer bios.

don't stress them, we are still waiting for a crossfire review.

Coverage forthcoming, in the meantime check out the very thorough preview, major differences are newer drivers and newer bios.

Brent, thanks for the heads up.

It was just wierd cause had not heard a peep from you guys.

At least now I dont have to call the cops to check your house to see if you are alive ;-)

are we going to have to break out the whips for you guys?

seriously, your guys review is what I am waiting on to see what I go with.

Yah! Where's the [H] review? :)
And where are those pictures of those who lost the bet with Kyle and his tutu? :D

A lot of previews, but almost none of them touch on anything other then pure FPS. I was hoping more of them would touch edge detect, and what all those pretty shader processors actually allow for AA and playable frame rates.

Kyle made a bet with some forum members we'd see the HD4870x2 this year. :)
He would wear a tutu and Steve would wear a bra.
I'm going to send a thankyou letter to AMD for saving us from seeing that. :D

Why? Send it to Maxim, CENTERFOLD BABY!!!!

please kyle and brent....on that review, please include information about microstuttering cause no one is giving information about it....if its not too much to ask...... :)

At ROGcon, Kyle said "The only place microstuttering exists anymore is in Forums".

So there you go.

At ROGcon, Kyle said "The only place microstuttering exists anymore is in Forums".

So there you go.

really ? then why this.....

http://translate.google.com/transla...adeon_hd_4870_x2/24&hl=nl&ie=UTF8&sl=de&tl=en

and this.....

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/video/sapphire/hd4870x2_2GB/page8.asp#Power

Now, a word on something else that is rarely mentioned in reviews: microstuttering. It has long been the bane of many multi-GPU users, and has been one of the many barriers for myself. Does microstuttering exist on the X2? Unfortunately, yes. Again, the lack of a unified frame buffer is no doubt the cause for this.

It would be great if the [H] review included some less popular/wellknown games as well.. Maybe not with the thorough "best playable settings" approach, but at least some quick benchies. SimHQ tested two such games, IL-2:1946 and Silent Hunter 4, and in both those games, the 4870X2 showed no gain at all from a single 4870 even at 2560x1600 4xAA/16XAF. With a card like the 4870X2, it's very important to see how it performs across a wide range of games..we already know that it blows all other cards out of the water *when it works*.

It would be great if the [H] review included some less popular/wellknown games as well.. Maybe not with the thorough "best playable settings" approach, but at least some quick benchies. SimHQ tested two such games, IL-2:1946 and Silent Hunter 4, and in both those games, the 4870X2 showed no gain at all from a single 4870 even at 2560x1600 4xAA/16XAF. With a card like the 4870X2, it's very important to see how it performs across a wide range of games..we already know that it blows all other cards out of the water *when it works*.

Except in IL-2:1946 even a single 4870 was getting over 80fps average, so who cares if the x2 makes no difference? You're already getting a framerate higher than your monitor's refresh rate.

I would like to see how it goes in LOTRO with lots of AA and a high res, but my guess is even a single 4870 will be able to smash it.

Why? Send it to Maxim, CENTERFOLD BABY!!!!

Maybe we can have an [H] calender? Different [H] reviewer/mod for each month. It comes free with your registration to the forum, but you can pay $19.95 to have them NOT send you one... :p

I always look forward to a new review from Hardocp. Due to their testing methods I definitely value their reviews a lot more than others. I based my purchase of a 4850 on their review and I haven't regretted it for one second. Awesome card.

But I'm getting off-topic. I can't wait to see how the 4870X2 performs, I'm curious if the newer drivers have made a difference and if Crysis performance has improved.

So there you go.

lol

Kind of true too - if it only shows up when the game is really low frame rated, then the game was unplayable anyways, hence [H]'s methodology

Except in IL-2:1946 even a single 4870 was getting over 80fps average, so who cares if the x2 makes no difference? You're already getting a framerate higher than your monitor's refresh rate.

I would like to see how it goes in LOTRO with lots of AA and a high res, but my guess is even a single 4870 will be able to smash it.

But in Silent Hunter 4 the 4870X2 only got 40 FPS.. another 20 wouldn't have hurt. Also, Test Drive Unlimited is another game where the 4870X2 shows no benefits over a single 4870. If you grab 30 games at random in a games store, how many of them will benefit from the X2? 5? 10? 29? That's what I'd like to find out.

But in Silent Hunter 4 the 4870X2 only got 40 FPS.. another 20 wouldn't have hurt. Also, Test Drive Unlimited is another game where the 4870X2 shows no benefits over a single 4870. If you grab 30 games at random in a games store, how many of them will benefit from the X2? 5? 10? 29? That's what I'd like to find out.

that is going to the wayside though, even Nvidia is going to be pushing multi GPU solutions from here on out. I agree existing stock is an issue but future games should be. I am still waiting for it to be ported into OpenGL and/or DirectX (not sure if that is possible)

Couldn't wait for the [H] review but still want to see max playable of course. I just got my card yesterday. Finally my 30" LCD has the card it deserves!

Couldn't wait for the [H] review but still want to see max playable of course. I just got my card yesterday. Finally my 30" LCD has the card it deserves!

Damn it!!! Am I the last person here with a 30" LCD left without a 4870x2???

Sorry $600 is a lot a money, so I decided to "benchmark" the games I play the most, and games that I bought but have not played yet to see if I absolutely need this card.

And off course I am waiting for the [H] review.

Besides none of my local retailers to have stock, which makes the decision to wait easier.

I've already seen Steve in a bra. *shudders*.

Kill me.

I've already seen Steve in a bra. *shudders*.

Kill me.
LoL, I saw that picture also. Thankfully [H] had a warning to women and children that they could be permently damaged if they viewed the picture. :D

So there you go.

It's funny when you read about people's experiences (quite a few of these in the [H] forums) with discrete multi-GPU cards (9800GX2 and 3870X2 come to mind) and how adversely micro-stuttering affected their real world gaming experiences.

Quite often you see canned benchmarks where the 9800GX2 beats out a GTX280, and even in this techpowerup review you see the GX2 beating out the 4870X2
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4870_X2/1.html

While [H] doesnt run canned benchmarks, they definately do tout their "real world gaming experience" factor as an essential part of their reviewing process. If there is going to be a factor such as micro-stuttering that is going to affect real world gaming experiences, it needs to be addressed no matter how minor it may be.

I have nothing but respect for the hard work Kyle and Brent put into the video card reviews, and as far as I am concerned no other video card reviews are worth reading except [H] as they are the only ones who dont run canned benchmarks. Addressing issues such as these is only going to make the review process more difficult for them, but readers such as myself would definately appreciate the extra effort they put into the review process.

I am hoping that Kyles comment might indicate that ATI have all but resolved the stuttering issues with the 4870X2, however if they havent it should be mentioned no matter how minor they may be, and if it will affect real world gaming experiences.

Back