So is anybody exited about Crysis 3 now that release is so close!?

Guys have a problem, is anybody else experiencing horrid GPU usage in the second level?... It seems my CPU is ramping up to 99% and thus bottlenecking my 680... is anybody else experiencing this?. I have the same problem in other levels also but not as bad this one... screenshots below.

1zyucl4.jpg

hryft3.jpg

9qlcuq.jpg
(Here GPU usage is full)

2ut0t9h.jpg
(Here GPU usage is full)

I imagined my 2500k would be enough for this game but this baffles me. Is it the drivers or the game itself?.. should I try a reinstall?.. Although I should say that this is a cracked copy of this game!, I downloaded it because I could not wait for my Hunter Edition to be delivered because I live in the UK and I have not received it yet, I was too excited to try it :D . All the other parts of the game seems ok to me although I have gone only up till level 5. Please help!... Do you think its happening because the game is not legit or is there something going wrong?.. I have Turbo Boost and all C states enabled in the BIOS by the way...

Last edited:
FXAA and MLAA are not vendor specific per say. FXAA was developed by Nvidia which has the option of forcing it through driver control panel. MLAA actually was developed by Intel (It was to showcase using the CPU to improve graphics) but AMD has the option of forcing it through driver control panel. Both can be used by either vendor if supported in game. I don't recall any actual tested cases of either favoring a specific vendor in general. FXAA however now seems to be more preferred over the two (games tend to favor FXAA support in game over MLAA, comparisons tend to favor FXAA over MLAA via drivers).

Your third option is SMAA which can be forced regardless of vendor if not supported in game (http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/). This is actually becoming more favorable over the previous two (such as from user feedback). Nvidia even has recommended it over FXAA.

This is just regarding post processing shader based AA.
SMAA is a variant of MLAA. It was designed to perform very well and actually improve upon typical MLAA. Unfortunately, the injectors out there don't use the best version of SMAA, so we don't get all of the benefits. The existing injectors do give quality in the ball park of SSAA and of course much better speed. But the quality COULD be even better, if development continued on getting the tech into games and/or an external injector.

ATI's driver level MLAA, while delivering decent image quality, plays it very safe and is very taxing.

FXAA, whether from Nvidia's driver or built into a game's settings, is very fast but blurs textures and lighting. If you need to squeeze all out peformance, its a good option, as it is faster than SMAA. But SMAA only nets about a 5 fps max performance hit, so...

classic example of being a 'prisoner of the moment'...your memory consists of what happened yesterday and today with no perspective...a movie comes out today (Avatar for example) and it becomes the greatest movie of all time because no one remembers movies that came out 5-10 years ago...Lebron James is the greatest basketball player of all time based on today...if you don't understand my analogies then it just proves my point

HAHAHAHA.. oh shit. I seriously hope this is just a troll. Nearly spit out my drink through my nose when I read this.

Take a screenshot from Crysis 1 foliage and then take another look at the Crysis 3 foliage shots. If i'm a prisoner of the moment, then you're a prisoner of nostalgic delusions.

P.S. I don't think anyone argued that Avatar was the greatest movie of all time, but it was definitely an amazing looking movie. And I could give two shits about basketball.

P.P.S. Your analogies were piss poor man. Really bad.

Anyone having the issue of low gpu usage when Vsync is enabled and great with it disabled? If I stand in one spot I will get like 75-80% usage and 32fps and once I disable Vsync I get 99% usage and 38-40fps

maldotex.blogspot.com
Helpful?
No solution though so not really I guess :(

Shot glass screen, ended up with a glass bullet hole on the metal box behind. Game ruined, I blame consoles, etc etc

edit: holy fuck imgur utterly ruined the quality.

www.abload.de

also, lol

I just reached Level 4 (Safeties Off)...there's a new graphics king and its name is Crysis 3...the lighting in this game is incredible...I think the original Crysis still does grass and trees slightly better and even the water effects I would give Crysis 1 a slight edge but overall Crysis 3 is the best looking game I've ever played...the only game to compare it against are the previous Crysis games hence the reason I keep going back to Crysis 1...it's only competing against an impossibly high standard

well worth retail price for the graphics alone...as I've said multiple times, the only games worth paying full price for in 2013 are Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light and BioShock Infinite...I might add Tomb Raider into that if it's as good as previews are hinting at

Last edited:
Guys can someone confirm whether the High grass levels slow you down?, I mean the GPU usage tanks and hence the framerate?... nobody seems to respond!!.... Every other level seems fine...

Guys can someone confirm whether the High grass levels slow you down?, I mean the GPU usage tanks and hence the framerate?... nobody seems to respond!!.... Every other level seems fine...

Chill man, you posted your question after midnight forum time and want an answer within 3 hours. Have you looked at the time??? It's anywhere between 2 and 4AM in the states and around 10am in Europe. Who do you think is sitting there reading the darn forum at this time?

Be patient young one.

PS: It's probably your setup. Weak sauce. Better run to the store to get something decent.

It's probably your setup. Weak sauce. Better run to the store to get something decent.

Did you even read my older post with the pics?.. I said the GPU usage drops when I enter the dome and the High grass levels which means my GPU is not working fully... My CPU is well over the recommended specs thank you very much and by the way you are the only one who thinks a GTX 680 is not "DECENT"....

Did you even read my older post with the pics?.. I said the GPU usage drops when I enter the dome and the High grass levels which means my GPU is not working fully... My CPU is well over the recommended specs thank you very much and by the way you are the only one who thinks a GTX 680 is not "DECENT"....

Dude, did you read MY post? Especially the first word?

He's joking

edit: I honestly have no idea how to use actual spoiler tags on [H] but whatever

People are hating this game? Please tell me why so I can join in.

There's quite a bit of hate on Crysis 3 - and it's not JUST the bugs.

On the PC side, it's either that it's not optimized for the high-end DX11 multi-GPU rigs OR the DX10 and lower crowd is kvetching over having to upgrade. The CONSOLE crowd is kvetching because this game is showing the limits of what console hardware can do.

Amazingly, I have Intel's original quad-core (Q6600) and the Hooptie King of DX11 GPUs - AMD HD5450 512MB DDR3 - in tag-team for this game. Both are bone-stock. And I'm finding myself running at higher (not lower) settings than a full-up-patched Crysis 2 on the same setup. As opposed to 1280x720/DX11 Enabled/Medium detail/no AA (Crysis 2) it's 1366x768/Medium detail/SMAA 1x (the SMAA is, in fact, a recent development which Crysis 2 didn't support - however, I found that if I turned AA off in C3, performance tanks, and tanks BADLY).

The SMAA Surprise is very much a boggle factor, and especially on admittedly-hooptie hardware. Everything I'd previously experienced OR heard has been telling me that AA (any form of AA) is a drag on performance, and it's more pronounced on lower end vs. higher-end GPU hardware. Crysis 3, on the other hand, has me looking at my screen in disbelief.

A more WELCOME surprise is that you can get a LOT more "fiddley" with both the graphics AND Advanced Graphics settings in Crysis 3 - and that is without the CVar Configurator. (Compared to Crysis 2 - even a 1.9 patch-complete Crysis 2 Maximum Edition.) There are certainly more fiddling I can do to further tweak performance in the game - however, due to my settings being, in fact, higher than Crysis 2 (and performance being better besides, which is unexpected), I'm putting further tweakage on hold. (By the way, the friggin Predator Bow is way too useful - the very reason it's not too many legs up in the beginning is that you're still nerfed by the lack of energy sources in the beginning - in a high-energy environment, you could give the opposition a massive case of Arrow Headache Number Six.)

So are the graphics worthy of the steep hardware requirements and lower performance? It's hard the gauge how much better Crysis 3 looks than Crysis 2 from youtube videos.

Lower performance on what GPU hardware?

And yes - that is VERY much a serious question.

It's more serious for me because I have better - not worse - performance in terms of resolution, frame rates, and even AA (in fact, I have SMAA on in Crysis 3 - in Crysis 2, I have AA turned off, as it doesn't support SMAA). The surprise in terms of SMAA, in fact, has me boggled - if I turn SMAA off, framerates tank, and tank badly; in addition, graphics look worse! Could this be a game that actually requires AA? (Has anyone run into such an oddity before in a game - PC or any other platform - where turning AA off drags down performance? Further, could this game perform better with a minimal-impact AA - such as SMAA - as opposed to higher-end AA?) I'm going to suggest that if you have issues with higher-end AA (such as FXAA/TXAA) consider switching your type of AA as opposed to dropping AA.

I`ve already pre ordered the Hunter Edition. I am just waiting for it to be delivered... I could not wait to play it and that is why I downloaded the Illegit copy of the game. I buy all games with my hard spent money FYI :D....

Demo'd and uninstalled before finishing the first level. Movement still feels exactly like crysis 2 (clunky). No strength or speed powers and still a lack of lean makes stealth without abusing the cloak annoying. Ai still worse than crysis 1 when it comes to stealth. Weapon models/crosshairs are freaking gigantic and ugly even when you change the near fov. While the graphics are technically amazing i think the art direction is just awful.

still a lack of lean makes stealth without abusing the cloak annoying. Ai still worse than crysis 1 when it comes to stealth. Weapon models/crosshairs are freaking gigantic and ugly even when you change the near fov. While the graphics are technically amazing i think the art direction is just awful.

Im still on the 1st level and I like it, though I can see the same issues as you for the lean. The AI spots you from a mile away if it has LOS. Like, its pouring rain int he dark and I cant even see the enemy and they are opening up on me. No lean mean you need to cloak kill everything.

Game looks amazing and loads fast. I like it so far, but even on normal, its impossible to go stealth as the AI spots you and silencers dont seem to help much at all.

Im still on the 1st level and I like it, though I can see the same issues as you for the lean. The AI spots you from a mile away if it has LOS. Like, its pouring rain int he dark and I cant even see the enemy and they are opening up on me. No lean mean you need to cloak kill everything.

Game looks amazing and loads fast. I like it so far, but even on normal, its impossible to go stealth as the AI spots you and silencers dont seem to help much at all.

I unlocked a couple of modules for that early on and it made a huge difference. My favorite way to play: Mess with their minds...be the Predator. ;)

I`ve already pre ordered the Hunter Edition. I am just waiting for it to be delivered... I could not wait to play it and that is why I downloaded the Illegit copy of the game. I buy all games with my hard spent money FYI :D....

Wow.

For frame of reference: I just got to the dam level and hit 5 hours of gameplay in SP. Right after you meet the female leader of the resistance. No idea how close to the end of the game I am.

It's been a hell of a ride thus far and the more I play the more impressed I get.

For frame of reference: I just got to the dam level and hit 5 hours of gameplay in SP. Right after you meet the female leader of the resistance. No idea how close to the end of the game I am.

It's been a hell of a ride thus far and the more I play the more impressed I get.

You're on stage 3 / 7.

As I've stated earlier, I have to give it to Crytek. People made complaints about Crysis 2 (myself included), and for the most part, they listened. Is it perfect? No. Are there issues, including technical issues? Yes. But if you compare the PC version to the console version, it is different, and for the most part, what I dislike about console gaming doesn't exist on the PC side.

That being said, I do feel Crytek is going to suffer for this. By making it DX11 only, a large portion of the gaming community can't play the game. I'm not talking about lowest settings only, I mean, they won't even be able to boot the game. Steam has their hardware survey at 45%. When you take into account people who will play the game, it drops even further. And when you take into account people who can play the game as well as want to play the game, but have technical issues, it drops even further.

Take the multiplayer. The PC side at the moment is barren (3000 people max so far). The console versions aren't faring any better (maybe 2-3x at best). But I can understand the console disappointment. For the consoles, it's just another generic shooter, and their systems are taxed as much as they can be. On the PC side, Crysis is a major step forward, but for consoles, they don't have this luxury yet (until the PS4 and Infinity).

*EDIT*

I'm not trying to derail the game. I enjoy it, and the game does prove that they have been listening. But I feel Crytek is in a no win situation at the moment.

That being said, I do feel Crytek is going to suffer for this. By making it DX11 only, a large portion of the gaming community can't play the game.

They make money on selling their engine also.

They weighed the pros and cons of DX11 only for this game. And they made a business and game design decision. Props to them.

the changes they made to Crysis 3 deserve mention as they really improved gameplay in my opniion...hacking is well done, the upgrade modules really are worthwhile and finally the Predator Bow is awesome (if a bit overpowered)...the game really reminds me of Crysis 1 in that the first half you are mostly fighting human Cell soldiers and about halfway through the Ceph aliens come into play...there are also multiple pathways at times (vents mainly) and the optional side missions are a great way of extending gameplay

So,is SMAA the way to go for best IQ? Running everything MAX @ 1080 and only played with 4xMSAA(45-60fps) and SMAAx2(55-60fps). Don't see much of an IQ difference between the two but the latter stays @ 60fps more consistently..Wont touch FXAA with a ten foot pole.:p

Graphics are 10/10, Game 6.5/10. It's very COD'ish.

Why couldn't they make a more open world experience, à la FC3, but with these graphics. So much potential.

That being said this game is definitely not worth 60$.

you sure? the fat nerdy geek that lives somewhere inside of my skinny and fit body is all "fuck you and your vodka i wanna play crysiiiiiis!!" on me.. god he can't be reasoned with! is driving me mad!

So,is SMAA the way to go for best IQ? Running everything MAX @ 1080 and only played with 4xMSAA(45-60fps) and SMAAx2(55-60fps). Don't see much of an IQ difference between the two but the latter stays @ 60fps more consistently..Wont touch FXAA with a ten foot pole.:p

MSAA is better for image quality. I would try using adaptive vsync for your 690. You may get better frames. I get over 100 indoors at times.

Graphics are 10/10, Game 6.5/10. It's very COD'ish.

This is becoming a tired cliche. No it's not COD-ish at all.

I don't have near the expansive levels or options in levels to handle targets in any COD game like I do here.

Unless something goes to hell for me I'm going to be giving this 10/10 graphics, at least 7.5 but probably an 8/10 on game.

Why couldn't they make a more open world experience, à la FC3, but with these graphics. So much potential.

That would be pretty incredible no doubt.

If I could marry the best elements of this game with the best elements of FC3 I'd probably have one of the best FPS's of all time, at least speaking for myself.

If people shop smart you're not going to spend that much anyways. I'm happy with what I'm seeing here myself.

You're on stage 3 / 7.

Good. With 5 hours of gameplay already. So much for that talking point.

Yes, folks, gaming journalists put foot to ass to get something done to make a deadline. That's how it works. No one was lying. Nothing insidious. Just the nature of the beast.

That's how you blaze through this entire game in 5 hours.

As I've stated earlier, I have to give it to Crytek. People made complaints about Crysis 2 (myself included), and for the most part, they listened. Is it perfect? No. Are there issues, including technical issues? Yes. But if you compare the PC version to the console version, it is different, and for the most part, what I dislike about console gaming doesn't exist on the PC side.

I'll say!

That being said, I do feel Crytek is going to suffer for this. By making it DX11 only, a large portion of the gaming community can't play the game. I'm not talking about lowest settings only, I mean, they won't even be able to boot the game. Steam has their hardware survey at 45%. When you take into account people who will play the game, it drops even further. And when you take into account people who can play the game as well as want to play the game, but have technical issues, it drops even further.

I'm surprised they completely cut out a backdoor to DX9. Can that be added?

Take the multiplayer. The PC side at the moment is barren (3000 people max so far). The console versions aren't faring any better (maybe 2-3x at best). But I can understand the console disappointment. For the consoles, it's just another generic shooter, and their systems are taxed as much as they can be. On the PC side, Crysis is a major step forward, but for consoles, they don't have this luxury yet (until the PS4 and Infinity).

*EDIT*

I'm not trying to derail the game. I enjoy it, and the game does prove that they have been listening. But I feel Crytek is in a no win situation at the moment.

Remains to be seen but I see your concerns.

Last edited:
One thing they did return is the wonky driving from Crysis 1.

Also, make sure you watch the credits, there is bonus footage.

I have no doubt that I will someday play this game, I'm just not going to pay $60 for it.

MSAA is better for image quality. I would try using adaptive vsync for your 690. You may get better frames. I get over 100 indoors at times.

Its possible Crysis 3 employs some custom version of MSAA that comes at the very end of the pipeline and does a better job than previous implementations. But historically, MSAA is on the lower end of image quality/smoothing of aliasing. Additionally, it often just does not work when certain post effects are onscreen and/or overlapping geometry.

From my understanding, SMAA treats the entire screen as the 2-D image it actually is, and just applies AA from there, using advanced scaling and rotation calculations. checkout the info and movie here to see what I mean: http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/. Which is why it (MLAA and its variants) can also anti-alias HUD elements and in worst case scenarios, introduce artifacts in HUD elements. But modern MLAA, such as SMAA, minimizes or even eliminates this phenomenon. The short of it is that SMAA at its worst, provide quality that is probably better than high levels of MSAA, approaches SSAA (though the current version of SMAA 1x in injectors doesn't allow the full potential. But I imagine since Crytek bothered to put it in the game, they use at least 2x, if not 4x) and does it all with minimal performance hit. Whereas with MSAA and SSAA you usually experience about a 20% - 50% performance hit, depending on the settings used and what's happening on screen. I lose about 5 fps max in BF3, using SMAA injected through SweetFX. Most of the other games I play are less taxing (I.E. Dark Souls) than BF3, so I haven't even bothered to track performance that closely.

*Its worth noting that SMAA is a shader based effect. Therefore, older/cheaper cards with less shading power could experience relatively larger performance hits. I have a 7870, so I'm not currently lacking in shader power.

Last edited:
This is becoming a tired cliche. No it's not COD-ish at all.

I don't have near the expansive levels or options in levels to handle targets in any COD game like I do here.

Unless something goes to hell for me I'm going to be giving this 10/10 graphics, at least 7.5 but probably an 8/10 on game.

Ever even played COD single player? C3 is very similar in many ways...

Zone into map, complete objectives move onto next map. They took the whole big sandbox from C1 and stripped it down. Its not awful how they did it and it makes sense from a technical standpoint (really because they had to make it work for consoles). But what we have now instead of a true sandbox that the first half of C1 had is smaller sandboxes.

I decided to buy it on the hopes that the multiplayer will make up for the lack of single player and because i obviously have to have the latest benchmark game but so far just as far as gameplay im disappointed. The graphics are simply amazing but the foliage is odd, like they tried to make it more lush than C1 and from a distance it looks fantastic but up close looks worse than the original. The mini sandbox concept was obviously to cover the console limitations, this tech with a monstrous sandbox would be so much more taxing that it would have put the hardware crushing reputation of the original to shame but simply would be a no go on the consoles.

I dont understand the performance issues so many are having. I run a 3570 @ 4.5 16GB and a mildly overclocked 7950 @1080 and have had no issues with everything set to max with 1x SMAA averaging a solid 30-40 with an occasional dip below 30 FPS. Keep in mind people ignore the framerate and stop trying to push it faster for no reason, this is still cryengine and is still smoother at 25 FPS than many games at 40. Crank those settings and just play until you actually notice performance issues.

Ever even played COD single player? C3 is very similar in many ways...

Zone into map, complete objectives move onto next map. They took the whole big sandbox from C1 and stripped it down. Its not awful how they did it and it makes sense from a technical standpoint (really because they had to make it work for consoles). But what we have now instead of a true sandbox that the first half of C1 had is smaller sandboxes.

I decided to buy it on the hopes that the multiplayer will make up for the lack of single player and because i obviously have to have the latest benchmark game but so far just as far as gameplay im disappointed. The graphics are simply amazing but the foliage is odd, like they tried to make it more lush than C1 and from a distance it looks fantastic but up close looks worse than the original. The mini sandbox concept was obviously to cover the console limitations, this tech with a monstrous sandbox would be so much more taxing that it would have put the hardware crushing reputation of the original to shame but simply would be a no go on the consoles.

I dont understand the performance issues so many are having. I run a 3570 @ 4.5 16GB and a mildly overclocked 7950 @1080 and have had no issues with everything set to max with 1x SMAA averaging a solid 30-40 with an occasional dip below 30 FPS. Keep in mind people ignore the framerate and stop trying to push it faster for no reason, this is still cryengine and is still smoother at 25 FPS than many games at 40. Crank those settings and just play until you actually notice performance issues.

Oh god a linear game with objectives, it must be Call of Duty!!

:rolleyes:

Overall, pretty darn good, they mixed the few good bits of crysis 2 with crysis 1's maps and general feel. good mix of ceph troops too, not to generic each one had a bit of character to them. Weapon mods and upgrades are ok nothing special but better than nothing. Also like how you can carry a descent arsenal esp with the explosive weapons they are rather generous with, love making as much destruction as possible. also really like its hacking system, every turret is mine.

Not to much to complain about except the AI is a bit quick to spot you but i assume the cell troops have permanent thermal vision, and some maps while huge can be without monsters for miles.

it really is worth playing through at least once I think crytek have finally hit a good balance between keeping a cinematic feel with great gameplay.

Good. With 5 hours of gameplay already. So much for that talking point.

Yes, folks, gaming journalists put foot to ass to get something done to make a deadline. That's how it works. No one was lying. Nothing insidious. Just the nature of the beast.

That's how you blaze through this entire game in 5 hours.

i wonder if that is an estimate excluding load times, and reloading from death.

Its possible Crysis 3 employs some custom version of MSAA that comes at the very end of the pipeline and does a better job than previous implementations. But historically, MSAA is on the lower end of image quality/smoothing of aliasing. Additionally, it often just does not work when certain post effects are onscreen and/or overlapping geometry.

From my understanding, SMAA treats the entire screen as the 2-D image it actually is, and just applies AA from there, using advanced scaling and rotation calculations. checkout the info and movie here to see what I mean: http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/. Which is why it (MLAA and its variants) can also anti-alias HUD elements and in worst case scenarios, introduce artifacts in HUD elements. But modern MLAA, such as SMAA, minimizes or even eliminates this phenomenon. The short of it is that SMAA at its worst, provide quality that is probably better than high levels of MSAA, approaches SSAA (though the current version of SMAA 1x in injectors doesn't allow the full potential. But I imagine since Crytek bothered to put it in the game, they use at least 2x, if not 4x) and does it all with minimal performance hit. Whereas with MSAA and SSAA you usually experience about a 20% - 50% performance hit, depending on the settings used and what's happening on screen. I lose about 5 fps max in BF3, using SMAA injected through SweetFX. Most of the other games I play are less taxing (I.E. Dark Souls) than BF3, so I haven't even bothered to track performance that closely.

*Its worth noting that SMAA is a shader based effect. Therefore, older/cheaper cards with less shading power could experience relatively larger performance hits. I have a 7870, so I'm not currently lacking in shader power.

To me, SMAAx2 looks and performs better than MSAAx4. Thinking I'll stick with that.

Back