• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So I'm on a budget

Phranq

Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
842
And I'm looking for a 775 processor.

I'd like to spend less than $120 and I'm not opposed to OC'ing my processor a bit. I play source games a lot, and I'd really like to get good performance there. I've narrowed it pretty much down to the 2180 and the 4500, although I'm open to all suggestions.
 
I think you got the right choices. I've heard of that 2180 going to 3GHz. Not sure what the 4500 can do but I'm sure its about the same.
 
Well, I have the 2140 to 3Ghz and it's considered a dud chip. 3.2-3.6 seems to be the norm for an M0 stepping 21xx series.
 
And I'm looking for a 775 processor.

I'd like to spend less than $120 and I'm not opposed to OC'ing my processor a bit. I play source games a lot, and I'd really like to get good performance there. I've narrowed it pretty much down to the 2180 and the 4500, although I'm open to all suggestions.


get the 2160.... it has a 9x multiplier which is good and will OC just as well as the 2180 for a few bucks less
 
Well I have no experience with the E21xx but I have an E4500 at 3.3. I have 3rd party cooling though. If the E21xx can get to 3GHz then that seems like a good choice since its ~$40-50 less.
 
Entropism, for the e2180 would it be possible to increase the FSB to 400 and lower the multipler to say 6 or 7. That would basically entail either 2.4Ghz or 2.8GHz overclock. I ask b/c I already have DDR2-800 RAM and want to try and achieve a 1:1 ratio.
 
Id go with the E2180(biased opinion) Some people told me it can easily reach 3ghz as long as you have a decent cooler.
 
Back
Top