• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So Im Getting a powerbook

Calibur

Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2000
Messages
703
Im Getting a 12" powerbook. I was wondering if they have any problems besides the batteries. Specs are as follows

768 or 1gb of mem
100gb hdd
8x superdrive
Spare Battery

My main purpose is to carry around school during the year because I will be living off campus. Should I get a 15" or will that be too big. This will be my first mac.
 
I got the 12" and it's just perfect. I actually just use one battery though...always finding myself near an outlet or a chance to plug in.
 
I have a 15" and a 12", i find the 12" much better suited for carrying around school. That could be because the 12" fits better in the bag i use for my books though. There aren't any major differences in thicknesses so if your bag is big enough, there really isn't much difference between the two. The 12" has a lot less screen real-estate which i don't use it to take notes. Usually i'll have a few apps open off to the side of MS word, easy to do on the 15", not so much on the 12". The speakers on the 12" sound better to me but that could just be something weird.

The backlit keyboard is really shwank too, really useful in airplanes or dark auditoriums (when i'm not sleeping).


Get the gig of ram also. And AppleCare.
 
I really want to get a gig of ram for both my apple systems...but I'm not sure what is good for the PBs. I really don't want to pay a whole bunch at the Apple store to put the memory in.
 
T-Bird 151 said:
I really want to get a gig of ram for both my apple systems...but I'm not sure what is good for the PBs. I really don't want to pay a whole bunch at the Apple store to put the memory in.
Crucial.com.
 
I've just got the 12" pb and its great. I've been using the standard 512mb of ram and its fine though I am about to order a 1gig of kingston ram for it. :)
 
if you can you might want to wait until after the anoucment on Friday.

I doubt it will be new powerbooks but why take a chance. Just wait the few days.
 
Ill be waiting till atleast friday. Waiting for mah insurance check. Damn laptop thiefs.
 
and what is this about problems with the batteries...there is a certain series that are being replaced..not ALL powerbook batteries have an issue and none of the new ones are in that serial range...as for the question is this right for you...well you could go with the ibook if you are going 12" because there isn't THAT much of a differece between the two but the PB is quite a bit more expensive

 
I like the case of the powerbook better and im supposed to be replacing a 2500$ laptop
 
that is a good reason then though your other option would be to take the insurance and get some spendin money!

 
Well, accesorizing the Apple isn't a bad idea...bump up the memory and then just polish it off with some expensive software, web camera, iPod accessories, etc.
 
imho if you are getting the pb because of the case and you want to waste 2500$, I wouldn't suggest the 12" pb. Being at school, you will find a million more things to spend the extra cash on, that more then likely you'll need it for. I just got a 14" iBook a month or two ago, and cannot live without it. I use screen doctor to hack the firmware to allow me to drive an external monitor at its native resolution, I've hooked up a mouse and an apple keyboard, and I've replaced my pc desktop and laptop. Sold them both now.

i think you'd be VERY happy with an iBook. Besides, the white and grey, they really grow on you, they look so much different then any laptop out there.
 
Owning a 12" powerbook, I'd say go for a top-of-the-line 15" (which would run you about $2400 including a 3rd party 1gb memory upgrade). Over the the 12" powerbook, you'll get a modestly faster processor, MUCH nicer video sub-system, backlit keyboard and a substantially larger screen (if it's going to be your only computer and you don't have a monitor, the 15" is a must). All that said, the 15" only weighs 1 pound more than the 12", so it won't make a huge difference hauling it around. Also remember to budget for things like a good case/sleeve ($50+), whatever software you may need and applecare if you want that. hope that helps a bit :)
 
I'm planning on buying the basic 12" powerbook sometime in the near future but can't find battery performance anywhere. How long does the battery last while, say browsing the internet?
 
battery save stuff turned on/up, I get about 4 hours doing basic browsing/ichat with only the airport turned on
 
Back
Top