So, if you had three spools of fiber...

TC10284

Limp Gawd
...that were about 3-5 miles in total length (according to meter reading on the sheath) without ends, what would you do with them? The original plan was to attempt to learn to terminate fiber using these spools, but the equipment looks expensive (from what little I know of fiber terminating). I have worked with fiber a lot, but never terminated. I would likely need SC and/or LC ends.

Or would you just sell them? If so, where? eBay is pretty obvious, but shipping them is probably out the question.

I'd probably just keep it around in case I need it (even though I probably won't). I'm a bit of a pack rat. If I can get a decent price then I might sell off some of it.

What kind of fiber do you have? Duplex multimode patch cord?

there are some mid-range termination kits from greenlee that really aren't that expensive. but i'd only buy it if that's what I was doing for a job full time.

i say sell it if you can

Depends on the count and type of fiber. If it's a higher count ribbon fiber that is for outdoor use I would probably use it on our fiber network. If it's 2-4 count outdoor then I would use it for drop material for customer installs. If it's indoor & low count then I'd sell it.

Ebay it. If you dont' have a use for it you most likley wont be able to create a use for it.

You can ship spindles as they are via Freight... you could also state in your auction that it's local pickup or buyer has to arrainge shipping.

Yeah, I would unload that crap on eBay and then use the money to purchase naked pictures of Bea Arthur for my collection . . . . but that's just me . . .

Do you work for a company or yourself?
If yourself- sell them.

If for a company- I'd keep it around, you never know.
No idea how your network is, but if you ever had to string it between two buildings or ever want to do fiber between your switches/routers, you could string it yourself and hire someone to terminate for you (or at that point- they could buy you a kit).

That's my two cents.

Single mode or multimode?

You could opt to use fusion splicing to put the ends on, or go for mechanical splices, but both aren't exactly cheap.

Yeah, I would unload that crap on eBay and then use the money to purchase naked pictures of Bea Arthur for my collection . . . . but that's just me . . .

LMFAO!

If you ever think you'll need fiber in the future..keep it, or sell one or two rolls and just keep one.

Fiber termination kits out now do all the work themselves...it's not difficult or complicated like it was not long ago, they have easy as pie kits to terminate them now, fairly cheap too.

Back