so, if I replace my z87 mobo with z170, windows 10 will do what?

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
Will I need to call in to get a reactivation or is the free win 10 gone forever on that system?

Ask Raja or JJ.I'd like to know what all OSes z170 will or will not run myself.

I know with 7 if you react'd too often with the same key you'd have to call in, but I was never turned down.

I'm not 100% where I read this, but I believe you're going to have to call in to their automated system to reactivate. If it's the same as Windows 8.1 it will take about 5-10 minutes and be very annoying but it's bareable.

One person posted in another thread said his Win10 reactivated online with no issue. His is a retail license. Others with OEM have said they had issues and could not activate over the phone and were told to reinstall qualifying OS and Win10 upgrade. YMMV.

Read this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1873598

Last edited:
If you do the upgrade within 1 year I'd just clean install and do the free upgrade again rather than dealing with Microsoft.

Clean install and being fully updated takes less than 15 minutes.

If you do the upgrade within 1 year I'd just clean install and do the free upgrade again rather than dealing with Microsoft.

Clean install and being fully updated takes less than 15 minutes.

if my win 7 key is consumed how do I get an activated install to free upgrade from?

Back