So I went HD on my HTPC today....but it broked

Dillusion

Supreme [H]ardness
I got my HD/ATSC tuner in the mail today, its a Geniatech X8000A with a connexant ATSC chip. I got everything 'working' with the software it came with (arcsoft totalmedia; which isnt half bad) but whenever i put my OTA HD channels in full screen (1366x768 DVI>HDMI) there is massive skipping and bogging down. When i switch back to the smaller TV preview mode, there is no skipping or bogging down.

So I assume my system cannot handle HD?

Heres the specs:

AMD 3200+ 2.2GHZ Socket 754
2x512MB DDR400
Jetway GF6100 Mobo (No HDCP or HD hardware accel., bad eh?)
ATI 550 Pro
ATSC Tuner above
HD, case, yadda yadda...

When I first ran the HD channels the program was complaining that my video card didnt have HD acceleration, so I turned HW accel. off.

Does this mean I NEED a video card with HD accel? Or do I need more CPU/System power?

Would it be wise to just get a 2400PRO/8300GT/8500GT, or upgrade to AM2 with DDR2 with a 690G board that has HD accel onboard? I can overclock my CPU to about 2.8GHZ, but its still not dual core or anything...

IS there an AM2 chipset with HD accel onboard?

Thanks guys

My X2 3800+ on a 6150 s939 board can handle 720p HD fine using Vista media center. What decoder are you using? Have you tried Nvidia pure video?

The problem is is that your IGP (6100) doesn't offer hardware accleration unlike it's big brother the 6150.

Simple: get a video card. A 8500GT at the very least, a 8600/2600 series card would be better. Theres no point in going with an AM2 CPU+board+DDR2 memory when all you need is to upgrade your video to something decent.

Back