SO I want to buy some new switches

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
Right now we've got crap. Some may remember a while back my thread about people getting on the network without authorization (personal laptops, etc) and I think I've talked myself into Cisco equipment. That said...holy hell its expensive stuff. I chose Cisco based on the ability to do NAC using either 802.1x or use FreeNAC via VMPS.

Here is a list of what I need the switches to be able to do:
-NAC via 802.1x or VMPSbut I prefer VMPS
-Some form of QoS (I think 802.1Q tagged VLAN will work just fine)
-24-48 ports (I need 72 total for the wiring closet and then several smaller switches for the upstairs)
-10/100 is fine, but I need some sort of uplink ports on them all.
-RMON or some other form of monitoring (SNMP perhaps?) so I can help identify my bottlenecks and any other network issues.
-Anything else you guys might think I need

My question is, what older equipment can I buy off Ebay that will serve my needs? I'm looking for specific models so I know just what to look for since the options are bewildering.

Truth be told, the Linksys switches I hear about seem perfect. Just no VMPS. I'm open to other suggestions on what to get but if I can get the Cisco equipment for a good price, I'd rather have that since I'm shooting for my CCNA and would like to start getting comfortable with the equipment.

I actually think Cisco equipment might be a bit more than you need.

Check out the HP ProCurve range, I think you'll be impressed.

I use the PoE version of those switches for my VoIP installs. They work well. They are a bit noisy, but meh.

For the price, you get quite a bit. They are cheaper than the ProCurve, but don't have the warranty of the ProCurve. Linksys has a trade up program where you can trade in your old switch for credit on a new Cisco switch. I haven't actually used that program though.

I've looked at the Procurve line as well. The 1800 series is nice looking, but I'm not so keen on the web only management or lack of RMON/SFLOW. The switches that do support this in the Procurve line are over $1000 each.

SNMP will/can pretty much monitor everything you need. Do you already have a monitoring solution?

what sort of information is it that your looking to collate? if your only looking at basic layer 2 switching then your a bit limited as to what you can monitor...is the box 'up', interface status, port utilisation, errors... i've used the castle rock snmpc before, quite liked it, it's completely 'open' though so requires customisation with mib importing and event filters etc. there are probably freebies out there though. it might be an idea to try and find a more vendor customised one, dependant upon who you go with.

Port utilization and errors mostly. I want to know if a port is getting overused and need to drop another trunk line. Basically, I'm just interested in more visibility of my network.

i suggest the d-link dgs-3100-48p its a super nice switch and it pretty resonably priced. also its as close to a cisco as any swich ive ever seen. for about half the price of a cisco.
jus my opinion.

I don't. Suggestions?

If you want something that is extremely easy to use and very functional look at Zenoss. Free and enterprise grade. Cacti is great for graphing but takes quite a bit of tweaking to get it to monitor and alert, Zenoss does both right out of the box.

Go grab some Cisco 3550s on ebay. You can get 24-48 ports with 2 GBIC slots for gig. They also made a 12 or 16 port all gig 3550. Those are going to be your best bet for cheap cisco and still getting all the features you want. You could also try getting some 3560s but they are going to be considerably more expensive. If you don't need L3 capabilities then you could look at 2950 or 2960 switches.

:)I have some used 2524's I could sell ya.:)

Whats the difference between the 2524 with a gigabit module, and the 2510-24? The 2510 series is newer, but the 2524 is still quite a bit more expensive. PM me with a price for your 2524s.

Go grab some Cisco 3550s on ebay. You can get 24-48 ports with 2 GBIC slots for gig. They also made a 12 or 16 port all gig 3550. Those are going to be your best bet for cheap cisco and still getting all the features you want. You could also try getting some 3560s but they are going to be considerably more expensive. If you don't need L3 capabilities then you could look at 2950 or 2960 switches.

I don't believe I need any L3 capabilities. Pretty small network still (less than 100 machines) and the only routing I can even think of ever doing can be handled by...well...my router. The 2960s are a stal on Ebay clocking in at $120-150. Thats nearly as much as I payed for the crappy switches I have now. The only thing I don't like about the 2950s is the lack of any sort of uplink port (copper GB or GBIC) unless you get the much more expensive "G"or "SX" models.

That and the 2950s have been End of Lifed . . . The 2960 is a fantastic switch for SMBs. Of course I you can't beat the 3750 for performance and features . . . but is is considerably more expensive. :D

That and the 2950s have been End of Lifed . . . The 2960 is a fantastic switch for SMBs. Of course I you can't beat the 3750 for performance and features . . . but is is considerably more expensive. :D

Yeah, I just wish I could find a good price on the ones with gigabit uplink.

*shakes head*

You would seriously put a EoL switch into your network without any type of support on it and without proper training?

Not very good practice IMHO.

If you have to get Cisco, you need WS-C2960-24TC-L, then buy the service contract on it and be done with it.

*shakes head*

You would seriously put a EoL switch into your network without any type of support on it and without proper training?

Not very good practice IMHO.

If you have to get Cisco, you need WS-C2960-24TC-L, then buy the service contract on it and be done with it.

Who cares as long as it switches, right? I can goof with the more advanced features as I learn how to manage Cisco switches. All in all, I'll probably get the ProCurves though.

If Cisco is even if your sights, do it. Most people only avoid Cisco because of price, certainly not because of a lack of functionality. If your company is at a level where they can consider Cisco, I can't imagine an alternative is a better solution.

Whats the difference between the 2524 with a gigabit module, and the 2510-24? The 2510 series is newer, but the 2524 is still quite a bit more expensive. PM me with a price for your 2524s.

I don't believe I need any L3 capabilities. Pretty small network still (less than 100 machines) and the only routing I can even think of ever doing can be handled by...well...my router. The 2960s are a stal on Ebay clocking in at $120-150. Thats nearly as much as I payed for the crappy switches I have now. The only thing I don't like about the 2950s is the lack of any sort of uplink port (copper GB or GBIC) unless you get the much more expensive "G"or "SX" models.

As far as I can see the only major difference that I see (I just glanced at the differences) is that the 2524 uses the fiber modules that require SC cabling and the 2510 uses mini GBICS. Price is 3 bills for 1 switch. 550 for 2 switches.

Just wanted to add in my support for FreeNAC and VMPS. I manage 800 switches and roughly 15000 users and port security is a requirement. Can you imagine trying to maintain STATIC MAC address assignments on 800 switches for users that like to move their systems constantly? It was a full time job. We are running FreeNAC 2.2 on half of the network and will be standing up v3.02 for the entire network within the next week or two. It makes life so much simpler and security so much better - for free.

Honestly, for only having 100 users you should be able to use static port security and keep it maintained fairly easily. We use SecureCRT and were able to write a simple script that scanned the ports, applied port security and the existing MAC address to the individual ports and set a reset timer to the port so that it would not permanantly lock them out, only until they unplugged the offending system.

Just a thought. ;)

As far as I can see the only major difference that I see (I just glanced at the differences) is that the 2524 uses the fiber modules that require SC cabling and the 2510 uses mini GBICS. Price is 3 bills for 1 switch. 550 for 2 switches.

Do they include the fiber modules or copper gig modules?

Back