So I think I bought the wrong SKU of Vista...what are my options?

Harb

Limp Gawd
So I'm building a new computer, and I really want to run Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

What I bought was this: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 English NA Upgrade DVD - Retail (I have an old XP license that I would be upgrading). I was under the impression that all Vista DVDs came with both the 32 and 64 bit version of whatever edition was on the disk (actually, I was under the impression that all Vista DVDs were the same, and that your lisence is what locked or unlocked specific versions on the disc). Well, I open the box to discover the lovely message: "This disc contains 32-bit software only."

I wish I had known that this disc didn't have the 64 bit software on it, but Newegg's product description doesn't mention anything about 32 or 64 bit software and it's only mentioned on the small print on the bottom of the box, and on the DVD itself. I opened the software, so I can't return it.

Is there anything I can do? If I'm not mistaken, my Home Premium lisence is good for any Home Premium upgrade, regardless of 32 or 64 bit, correct? How can I go about getting a 64 bit version of the DVD?

you ordered vista for 10, PLEASE tell so I can order 2 copys?

nonono... you can order vista disks in the 64 bit version for 10$.. they do not come with a key... you use the key you got when you purchased the 32bit version with the 64 bit disks to unlock them

nonono... you can order vista disks in the 64 bit version for 10$.. they do not come with a key... you use the key you got when you purchased the 32bit version with the 64 bit disks to unlock them

so if you pay 122.00 for a copy of vista from newegg, then you pay another 10.00 for 64 bit key, the total price is 132.00 which is more than I want to pay for that os, 60 sounds like a good price to me.

You can just borrow a 64-bit Vista Disc from a friend or download an ISO from anywhere on the net, it's really not that hard to find if you look. You already have your key and your legit license so you're good to go, where you obtain the actual ISO/Disc is completely irrelevant.

so if you pay 122.00 for a copy of vista from newegg, then you pay another 10.00 for 64 bit key, the total price is 132.00 which is more than I want to pay for that os, 60 sounds like a good price to me.

im sure you understand, but your not paying for a key as you stated, but yes 122$ is going to be about the cheapest your going to be able to buy vista for and as stated, when you pay the 10$ to ge the 64bit dvd.. you are really only paying for the media and shipping. if you find a good reputable site to get the 64bit iso from.. they are all the same and can be had for time (it takes to download) instead of $

download an ISO from anywhere on the net,

It isn't grey, it is illegal, MS has stated you can not download their software from anywhere BUT them and chances are if you download a copy from anywhere it will be cracked, patched and modified in some from from an original copy, so now you risk who know what..

just borrow the disk from someone who has a 64bit copy or order one.

I believe only Vista Ultimate Retail shipped with both 64 and 32

This is the one you should have bought, and it is cheaper than the upgrade.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

But the reason it's cheaper is because technically it's locked to your CPU/mobo, and the license would be invalidated if you ever upgraded. Unfortunately, the Update license also takes on the terms of whatever you had previously (probably OEM). I hate Windows licensing.

Of course, not that I've ever had MS deny an activation over any of this. You just have to call in and beg your masters to use the software you paid for.

What I find shocking is that you can now buy Office for 3 users cheaper than Windows for 1. The OS should be dirt cheap given the # of units they ship.

Is there anything I can do? If I'm not mistaken, my Home Premium lisence is good for any Home Premium upgrade, regardless of 32 or 64 bit, correct? How can I go about getting a 64 bit version of the DVD?

That's an 'Upgrade' retail boxed copy, right? The 'NA' simply represents 'North America'?

If so then what you can do is actually READ the leaflets included in the package, because one of those will include instructions regarding where you order your 64-bit install media.

In actual fact, the precise wording of the message on a Vista Home Premium Retail Upgrade package is:

"Includes 32-bit DVD and information on ordering 32 bit CDs or 64 bit DVD. Additional fees may apply."

Those 'additional fees' are only a small postage and handling charge.

It isn't grey, it is illegal, MS has stated you can not download their software from anywhere BUT them

Sounds like a canned CYA legal answer that they would give out regardless of whether they really cared or not. The facts of the matter remain that everything that determines the legality/legitimacy of your OS is tied to your key/license and NOT the distribution media in any way at all. If you would rather spend $10 and wait a week instead of 5 minutes searching and 30 minutes downloading, that's your business. The only thing that stands in your way is common sense.

MrGuvernment is confusing numerous MS statements, not all of which are relevent to or impact upon each other.

The 'Genuine hologrammed disk' is provided to easily identify a genuine installation medium districution. It's a 'convenience' for the customer, really, and license provisions allow the end-user license holder to make one copy of the disk, and use that copy for re-installing the OS.

That restriction, however, does not constitute a legally enforceable requirement for people to ONLY EVER use either the genuine, hologrammed install disk or the one copy of it in order to have a legitimately licensed installation. In actual fact the 'Proof of License' of a valid installation is the COA sticker, not the disk used to install the OS.

The "No download" comments from Microsoft are simply a statement that there is no download location formally sanctioned by Microsoft other than the Microsoft website itself. Again, in effect that's a 'convenience' for customers in the sense that they can easily identify what is a 'genuine' download and what isn't. If it didn't come from Microsoft it wasn't a legitimate distribution of the media, and copyright provisions have been breached.

Okay then, put it together and what we get is this:

Suppose I've purchased a Retail Vista Home Premium. I got the 32-bit disk. I got the COA sticker which constitutes 'Proof of license" for either 32-bit or 64-bit install.

I then duck in to visit my mate next door, who has a 64-bit install disk, and copy that rather than send away for a second, hologrammed install disk and pay postage and handling costs. I use that to install 64-bit Vista Home Premium. What has happened?

• I have a valid, legitimately licensed Vista installation.
  • I may, if ever prosecuted for it, be guilty of a breach of copyright law provisions, but only in relation to the obtaining of media.
  • My 'friend' has breached the provisions of his license, and potentially could have that license revoked.
  • My 'friend is not actually ever going to have that happen to him, because the only way to detect what has happened would be for somebody to march into my house, warrant in hand, with permission to search and seize and thus detect that I haven't got a hologrammed 64-bit disk, and then have me confess to the origins of the disk copy I do have in my possession. That's all fanciful impossibility, because that warrant will never be issued. It's far too flaky!
  • In the event of all that happening, my 'friend' could also be subject to Copyright law breaches! But it's not gonna happen!

Back