So I screwed something up and need help

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, so I've got this computer my family uses (windows xp, sp2), mom and sister, and I recently purchased the new VOIP from belkin, the calleverywhere thing. Now I went to set it up but some of the lights were red instead of green etc. At the same time I just dled and installed the latest version of my ez antivirus from computer associates and it prompted me to restart my computer at the end of the installation, so I did. I got this weird error about some file not being able to be saved, so I clicked okay (only option) and it froze at the "Windows is now shutting down screen". now, everything I try doesn't work, reboot in safe mode, normal, whatever, last know configuration, doesn't work. Now when I try to go into safe mode it stops at the file loading screen, on file Mup, or mvp. something like that. When I try to start normally it freezes at the file check screen. But it's checking for drive D and not my C drive. My D is a just an extra drive I have in there for storage. If I unplug the D might that work? I really don't want to reinstall windows and everything because of this, help me out please. Thanks.

It shouldn't, but that isn't what you need to do. Scroll down the page until you get to the Repair install section. If all goes well, all applications and data should be intact.

yeah, I just remembered that. but should I try to copy over the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files first? as well as fixing the boot sector?

Back