So I picked up Puzzle Quest 2 on a whim

Shalafi

Fully [H]
and I am pleasantly surprised. I decided to buy it after reading about it on here in another thread.

It brings to mind that scene in "The Wire" after Stringer gets whacked and McNulty is going through his home and he sees that the guy had sophisticated tastes and even had some literature on economics in spite of being a drug dealer, he said.

"Who the hell have I been chasing?"

My point is, there ARE gems of gaming that most people don't try because they don't hear bout them and just see a small studio or indy label associated with a game's release and that's kind of a stigma in and of itself, most people equate "indy games" with being low budget, low quality, and not much fun for your dollar.

I'm here to tell you that is simply not true anymore,we have had some really great indy/small studio releases lately.

The Witcher was started by a small studio, Defense Grid was too, Magicka was made by a bunch of college students in Sweden. You have games like Trine, Braid, a whole host of others.

There really are gems out there, you just have to be willing to look outside the norm and find them for yourself.

Puzzle Quest 2 is a really neat and fun game, it's kind of like a Bejeweled RPG with some actual strategy elements to it, but it does require some luck . . . That doesn't take away from the fun of it.

Defense Grid is a gem and I've been talking about it in more than one thread and convinced some others to pick it up, and they are all glad they did from all indications.

The purpose of this thread isn't so much Puzzle Quest 2, but for you guys to be willing to buy those lesser known titles after reading around for reviews an user feedback, who knows, you might find your next gaming gem.

I'm as guilty as liking the so called "Michael Bay" types of games as anyboy else, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a well crafted title that is simplistic in nature, but retains the fun factor of more complex games.

I hope you guys decide to open your eyes a little and not ignore some lesser known games simply because the publishers didn't have the 200 million advertising budget of a Call of Duty title.

You might be surprised what you find in hidden places.

I also enjoyed Puzzle Quest 2. I remember sometimes I'd play a pretty long session where my eyes got tired of identifying the symbols correctly, heh. That's when it's time to take a break.

I liked PQ1 better than PQ2. The addition of defense makes some games take far too long. There are also some cheap abilities that the creatures get which makes the game feel like a game of chance. There are some other things but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

It's ok but I'd choose PQ1 or Puzzle Kingdoms over it.

I enjoyed PQ2 in the begining, but near the end it just got repetitve and boring. I did beat it though with the Assasin, but it became a chore.

There's a new puzzle quest inspired game coming out later this month, Runespell Overture. Instead of bejeweled combat it's a combination of solitaire/poker/collectible card game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OToI7H3OoQE"]YouTube - ‪WTF is Runespell Overture?‬‏[/ame]

I've been beta testing the game this week and it looks like a nice little gem.

Last edited:
Runespell looks very intriguing, I will need to check it out when it's released.

I'm all for trying out games that I hear very little about now, finding those little gems really opened my eyes to what is out there.

I enjoyed PQ2. Used an assassin with 2 poisons and basically all the different "strike" spells. Bosses, schmosses. :)

I picked up the first Puzzle Quest on my iPad, they also offer Puzzle Quest 2 on it, I might grab that as well just to have a copy on my iPad as well, it seems more like an iPad game anyway :)

I will definitely keep an eye on Runespell

I've been playing PQ1 ever since I boought my PSP.... Almost a year if not more? The game just never ends!!!

I've been enjoying PQ1 on my iPod Touch (1st Gen). I recently bought Bejeweled 3 for dirt cheap, which I'm having a blast with. Having casual games to balance out the core makes sense when I'm in a chilled mood.

I might have to take a look into PQ2.

I've been enjoying PQ1 on my iPod Touch (1st Gen). I recently bought Bejeweled 3 for dirt cheap, which I'm having a blast with. Having casual games to balance out the core makes sense when I'm in a chilled mood.

I might have to take a look into PQ2.

It seems fun, a bit more challenging than PQ1 and a little more intuitive, but there is a "cheapness factor" in lieu of challenging at times, I'm sure you'll understand what I mean after you play it a little, however, that doesn't make the game any less fun. Makes winning much more satisfying.

Back