I swapped out the pedestrian JRC4556A opamp on the main channel of my X-FI Fatal1ty this weekend with a National Semiconductor LM4562 based on the guide by Cotdt over at Head-Fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/hotrodding-x-fi-laymans-guide-no-56k-226975/
The final result (see L4562MA near center of image):
This was my first attempt at soldering SOIC surface mount components. It was a little intimidating at first given the size of the chips, but overall, the mod was not too difficult. Patience, steady hands, and a little soldering experience are the keys to success.
I haven't changed any of the caps yet, but will probably hold off on that until I do some more research. There have been mixed results and recommendations on the Head-Fi thread. The improvement so far has been quite substantial over my old stock Audigy 2ZS using the JVC HA-RX700 headphones. Sound is much cleaner. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to try out the X-FI prior to the mod, so I can't comment on the comparison to a stock X-FI. The Audigy 2ZS, however, does use the same JRC4556A opamp on its main channel as the stock X-FI.
I will probably install the Audigy 2ZS into another rig this week or next and do some more comparisons once the RX700's have burned in some more. So far so good though. I recommend this mod if you have a decent amount of soldering experience.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/hotrodding-x-fi-laymans-guide-no-56k-226975/
The final result (see L4562MA near center of image):
This was my first attempt at soldering SOIC surface mount components. It was a little intimidating at first given the size of the chips, but overall, the mod was not too difficult. Patience, steady hands, and a little soldering experience are the keys to success.
I haven't changed any of the caps yet, but will probably hold off on that until I do some more research. There have been mixed results and recommendations on the Head-Fi thread. The improvement so far has been quite substantial over my old stock Audigy 2ZS using the JVC HA-RX700 headphones. Sound is much cleaner. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to try out the X-FI prior to the mod, so I can't comment on the comparison to a stock X-FI. The Audigy 2ZS, however, does use the same JRC4556A opamp on its main channel as the stock X-FI.
I will probably install the Audigy 2ZS into another rig this week or next and do some more comparisons once the RX700's have burned in some more. So far so good though. I recommend this mod if you have a decent amount of soldering experience.